House Price Crash Forum
Fancypants

Last Crash Nostalgia

On considering some of the current overblown and extravagant advertising campaigns (follies?) which are being constructed as gruesome monuments to a time of historical excess :P I cast my mind back to the TV ads of the last peak...

Being only a nipper at the time, my memory of such things is a little hazy, so I'm wondering if anyone can help with the placement of the following into an appropriate historical context...

1) which advert used "Our House" by CSN&Y, and when was this?

2) "compact and bijou mostin" Fry and Laurie - who & when?

Ta v much

On considering some of the current overblown and extravagant advertising campaigns (follies?) which are being constructed as gruesome monuments to a time of historical excess :P I cast my mind back to the TV ads of the last peak...

Being only a nipper at the time, my memory of such things is a little hazy, so I'm wondering if anyone can help with the placement of the following into an appropriate historical context...

Ta v much

2. This was part of Fry and Laurie's ad campaign for Alliance and Leicester BS (which was trying to go national at the time). It involved Fry having bought a 1 room studio/broom cupboard with no space and a bed on stilts (sorry, "mezzanine" sleeping area) and smugly telling Laurie about it - Laurie then launches into the great deals A&L can offer and that Fry should have gone there. It at least acknowledged the ludicrous natrue of HPI then and that 1 room cupboards were being sold for a lot. If I had to pick a date I'd say sometime in 1989 probably early/mid. Wonderful timing in hindsight.

Ta v much

1. Are you sure it was in the UK?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?p...7&notFound=true

http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...307/1019/NEWS03

Ta v much

I think 1) was the Halifax

2. This was part of Fry and Laurie's ad campaign for Alliance and Leicester BS (which was trying to go national at the time). It involved Fry having bought a 1 room studio/broom cupboard with no space and a bed on stilts (sorry, "mezzanine" sleeping area) and smugly telling Laurie about it - Laurie then launches into the great deals A&L can offer and that Fry should have gone there. It at least acknowledged the ludicrous natrue of HPI then and that 1 room cupboards were being sold for a lot. If I had to pick a date I'd say sometime in 1989 probably early/mid. Wonderful timing in hindsight.

Wasn't it the other way around? I though that Hugh had gone with Sproggit and Sylvester, or whoever the non-A&L BS was. Perhaps tv.cream.org has the answer.

Guest Bart of Darkness

Which company had the helicopter that would take your old crappy house off your hands and land you in a happy new Barratt(?) home.

Wasn't the helicopter in Barratts own ads (with actor Patrick Allen doing the spiel).

Wasn't it the other way around? I though that Hugh had gone with Sproggit and Sylvester, or whoever the non-A&L BS was.

I'm pretty sure it was Stephen Fry who was the "dope" throughout that series of ads (sometimes Hugh would take that role in ad campaigns for other products).