House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fancypants

The Bbc

I was out last week with a few friends, one of whom happens to work in "content management" on the Beeb's website. Now, he's a contractor so is less culturally wedded to the organisation than most who work there.

Although he doesn't work on the business section, he freely admitted that most areas of the site simply take press releases and uncritically slap them up for the public to see. The main running joke I gather is their slavish devotion to the scrolls handed down from on Mt Microsoft.

So, this kinda confirms my view that, in spite of what some of this site's discreditrolls might be trying to say, there is no explicit conspiracy at the Beeb - only time-pressured semi-competent journos subject to the twin pressures of post-Hutton fear of government and their own subconscious vested interest in their own houses and small BTL portfolios - thus explaining the rather skewed editorial policy.

I suppose it only seems scandalous because we have all been conditioned to see the Beeb as more reliable, rigourous and unbiased than other media.

I suppose it only seems scandalous because we have all been conditioned to see the Beeb as more reliable, rigourous and unbiased than other media.

medialens.org

is very good on the biases of corporate media,

Peter.

I think Internet publishing, unlike print publishing, is based around on getting the story up there first and maybe tweaked later, time permitting.

Guest Winners and Losers

there is no explicit conspiracy at the Beeb - only time-pressured semi-competent journos subject to the twin pressures of post-Hutton fear of government and their own subconscious vested interest in their own houses and small BTL portfolios - thus explaining the rather skewed editorial policy.

I see, so a conspiracy then. ;)

I have spoken to someone working in technical journalism where their understanding of the content was shakey. They mostly took press releases and rewrote them a bit to make articles. I read an article about fashion journalism, which claimed that this was one of the most tricky areas because the journalists were most likely to think they knew it all, while actually knowing nothing. The article talked in depth about how difficult the job of the PR people for fashion labels were as they had to pander to the egos of the journalists, which was most difficult when the designers themselves would talk to the journalists, as it was claimed that the designers themselves were usually very knowledgeable about fashion and its history, and would have great difficulty dealing with the journalists. "But, they know nothing!" or similar was one quote.

Billy Shears