House Price Crash Forum
penbat1

Ftse250 Kicking Butt Today

To be fair it has lagged behind the other indices for the previous 2 days but it is certainly kicking butt today well outperforming the other indices.

But looking at the reason why it's outperforming, will you be going short or long the index ;-)

Outperforming the FTSE100 today as well. Personally I am playing the very long game. I have all my pension invested in Schroder 250 mid caps fund and hope to stick with it for 18 years although i could fund switch if i really wanted to. I would expect the FTSE250 to have its lean periods.

Edited by penbat1

Outperforming the FTSE100 today as well. Personally I am playing the very long game. I have all my pension invested in Schroder 250 mid caps fund and hope to stick with it for 18 years although i could fund switch if i really wanted to. I would expect the FTSE250 to have its lean periods.

It's certainly had a good run, but are you not a bit concerned by the more concentrated exposure the smaller 250 stocks tend to have to the UK economy?

I've been switching into cash for the past few weeks, just keeping a relatively small speadbetting portfolio going as I can go short in that.

I've been switching into cash for the past few weeks, just keeping a relatively small speadbetting portfolio going as I can go short in that.

It's hard finding anything to short at the moment. Housebuilders, retailers forget it.

I've been repeatedly stopped out of short positions recently.

There's nothing better than trying to short UK stocks to make you realise that we're nowhere near any sort of correction.

Barratt Developments BDEV up 33p today

Bellway up 42p :o today

Just about the smartest move you could have made last summer was to buy UK housebuilders - an easy 50% gain.

It's certainly had a good run, but are you not a bit concerned by the more concentrated exposure the smaller 250 stocks tend to have to the UK economy?

I have some exposure to FTSE100 and Euro index in ISAs and i have a decent cash buffer. Yes the FTSE250 may have a lean spell but over 18 years there will be several economic cycles.

It's hard finding anything to short at the moment. Housebuilders, retailers forget it.

I've been repeatedly stopped out of short positions recently.

There's nothing better than trying to short UK stocks to make you realise that we're nowhere near any sort of correction.

Barratt Developments BDEV up 33p today

Bellway up 42p :o today

Just about the smartest move you could have made last summer was to buy UK housebuilders - an easy 50% gain.

Oh I don't know, I had a lovely spree shorting Billiton once it started to go last week, and it's been see-sawing like a good-un today.

Over the pond Google has been a lovely short too, though it seems to have levelled off for now.

Golds also good for shorting everytime it gets towards 565 at the moment and buying back at 535-40.