House Price Crash Forum

Atsushi Mizuno Of B O J Hints That 1.5% I R Level Comfortable

HOLA441

http://www.iii.co.uk/news/?type=afxnews&ar...&action=article

TOKYO (AFX) - Atsushi Mizuno, one of the nine members of the Bank of Japan's policy board, said that raising interest rates is necessary to have some flexibility in managing monetary policy, Jiji Press reported.
Mizuno said that given the recovering economy, the normal level of interest rates should not be zero.
Asked what is the normal level of interest rates, Mizuno said he "does not feel so uncomfortable" even if interest rates reach 1.5 pct
, but added that rates do not jump to that level immediately, Mizuno told a news conference at Gifu prefecture in central Japan, Jiji reported.

Fed looking at another 50 basis points:

http://www.nasdaq.com/aspxcontent/NewsStor...nternational.na

US Fed Seen Raising Rates Another 50 BPs -NABE Poll

By Brian Blackstone, Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

WASHINGTON -(Dow Jones)- Even though the U.S. Federal Reserve's monetary policy stance is "about right," business economists nonetheless expect the central bank to increase official interest rates another 50 basis points, according to a survey released Monday.

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/sto...&issue_id=13800

US Federal Reserve and the ECB are now in 'tightening mode'

THE move by the Central Bank of Japan to raise interest rates means that rates in all of the major global economies are now on the way up.
It also points the way for more rapid rate rises by both the ECB
and the US Federal Reserve, it emerged yesterday.

And the Bulls and Trolls think that IR are headed down in the UK??? :blink:

Edited by Realistbear

HOLA442

http://www.iii.co.uk/news/?type=afxnews&ar...&action=article

TOKYO (AFX) - Atsushi Mizuno, one of the nine members of the Bank of Japan's policy board, said that raising interest rates is necessary to have some flexibility in managing monetary policy, Jiji Press reported.
Mizuno said that given the recovering economy, the normal level of interest rates should not be zero.
Asked what is the normal level of interest rates, Mizuno said he "does not feel so uncomfortable" even if interest rates reach 1.5 pct
, but added that rates do not jump to that level immediately, Mizuno told a news conference at Gifu prefecture in central Japan, Jiji reported.

Fed looking at another 50 basis points:

http://www.nasdaq.com/aspxcontent/NewsStor...nternational.na

US Fed Seen Raising Rates Another 50 BPs -NABE Poll

By Brian Blackstone, Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

WASHINGTON -(Dow Jones)- Even though the U.S. Federal Reserve's monetary policy stance is "about right," business economists nonetheless expect the central bank to increase official interest rates another 50 basis points, according to a survey released Monday.

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/sto...&issue_id=13800

US Federal Reserve and the ECB are now in 'tightening mode'

THE move by the Central Bank of Japan to raise interest rates means that rates in all of the major global economies are now on the way up.
It also points the way for more rapid rate rises by both the ECB
and the US Federal Reserve, it emerged yesterday.

And the Bulls and Trolls think that IR are headed down in the UK??? :blink:

See you in April.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

RB,

now I understand you are spinning harder than a gyroscope in order to keep spirits up, but you are trying to create the impression that Japan is likely to move rates to 1.5% soon.

My understanding is that you will see no rates rises this year, they are just going to stop printing money. They have said that they will raise rates very slowly - so it'll be at 1.5% may be 5 years from now ?

Now realistically, thats going to have the impact of the square root of zero.

All these rates changes you keep banging on about are all measured, controlled and will have no nasty effects because the markets can see them coming and have the time to manage the impact.

In the UK we raised our IRs first, the rest of the world is playing catch up. All this is well known about and the £ going down slightly and slowly is well factored into everyone's calculations. There are no shocks out there, and it is just slightly peculiar that you are trying to convince people that there are.

Just why are you trying to mislead a group of despondent people ? - I just don't get it.

HOLA447

RB,

now I understand you are spinning harder than a gyroscope in order to keep spirits up, but you are trying to create the impression that Japan is likely to move rates to 1.5% soon.

My understanding is that you will see no rates rises this year, they are just going to stop printing money. They have said that they will raise rates very slowly - so it'll be at 1.5% may be 5 years from now ?

Now realistically, thats going to have the impact of the square root of zero.

All these rates changes you keep banging on about are all measured, controlled and will have no nasty effects because the markets can see them coming and have the time to manage the impact.

In the UK we raised our IRs first, the rest of the world is playing catch up. All this is well known about and the £ going down slightly and slowly is well factored into everyone's calculations. There are no shocks out there, and it is just slightly peculiar that you are trying to convince people that there are.

Just why are you trying to mislead a group of despondent people ? - I just don't get it.

Perhaps you should complain to Mr. Mizuno the author of the "spin?'

I know the Bulls are having a hard time facing the reality of IR that are rising worldwide and the thought of another sterling crisis does not bode well for the economy either. Its the price the UK has to pay for the "Economic Miracle" that is nothing more than wealth based on borrowing. House prices are, as Mervyn K said, nothing more than opinion whereas debt is real.

Time to get real up north?

HOLA448
HOLA449

Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I just know the world I live in seems to be a lot more realistic place than the world you are inhabiting.

I don't have problem with IR's rising round the world, they are playing catch up to the UK thats all. I also know that the BoE has factored in a re-evaluation of the £ into their inflation forecasts, which means that our rates at 4.5% are completely consistent with acheiving this. So, there is no pressure on the UK to raise IRs as a result.

I think you are a little behind the times on the BoE thinking, but I'm sure that you are going to catch up over the next 2 years when you realise you have been spouting 'hope' rather than reality.

HOLA4410

Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I just know the world I live in seems to be a lot more realistic place than the world you are inhabiting.

I don't have problem with IR's rising round the world, they are playing catch up to the UK thats all. I also know that the BoE has factored in a re-evaluation of the £ into their inflation forecasts, which means that our rates at 4.5% are completely consistent with acheiving this. So, there is no pressure on the UK to raise IRs as a result.

I think you are a little behind the times on the BoE thinking, but I'm sure that you are going to catch up over the next 2 years when you realise you have been spouting 'hope' rather than reality.

The Fed will be at 4.75% by the end of this month. Who has to play catch up next?

I am at a loss to understand how bulls have disconnected from reality. The economic cycle is a reality and HPI has always (not sometimes) been followed by a sharp correction. The higher the inflation the greater the correction. Simple reality.

HOLA4411

We don't have to follow the Americans or anyone else. You just don't get it do you.

Each economy has its own 'neutral' rate, we have reached ours. The Yanks are still trying to get to theirs, but as their economy is doing so well, they may well have to go further, but its doesn't mean we have to go higher.

With your level of understanding of economic affairs, this site is doomed I tell ye, doomed .... god I'm even starting to sound like you !

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

We don't have to follow the Americans or anyone else. You just don't get it do you.

Each economy has its own 'neutral' rate, we have reached ours. The Yanks are still trying to get to theirs, but as their economy is doing so well, they may well have to go further, but its doesn't mean we have to go higher.

With your level of understanding of economic affairs, this site is doomed I tell ye, doomed .... god I'm even starting to sound like you !

We may not have to follow the Americans but it is not just America who are putting up the rates. If the B o E kick against the goads and fail to keep pace with the rest of the world (by proportional raises--not parity)sterling is going to sustain damage and inflationary pressure will build.

HOLA4414

Each economy has its own 'neutral' rate, we have reached ours.

I'm Up: I don't mind you having a fight with RealistUberBear, but to claim that we've reached our neutral rate is also controversial.

HOLA4415