House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Scipio_Africanus

Anyone Know Anything About Seattle?

I'll probably be moving to Seattle some time next year. Prices there are a high, compared to the US, though relatively modest compared to London - form what I can see you can can buy a smallish house for $600,000 in a reasonable part of town. My wife is into the idea of buying, and it's very difficult to find any evidence that the Seattle market is about to crash. I've got at least another year before I need to be worried, but I would like to have some idea about where the Seattle market is going. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I'll probably be moving to Seattle some time next year. Prices there are a high, compared to the US, though relatively modest compared to London - form what I can see you can can buy a smallish house for $600,000 in a reasonable part of town. My wife is into the idea of buying, and it's very difficult to find any evidence that the Seattle market is about to crash. I've got at least another year before I need to be worried, but I would like to have some idea about where the Seattle market is going. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Seattle is a good long term play, tons of jobs and a very desirible place to live with many younger people aspiring to live there. My company has a waiting list of people wanting a transfer to the Seattle office. Also has one of the best school systems in the US. A smallish house with in a nice neighborhood close to water is a great buy. Also you can drive over to Victoria Island with great pubs!

www.zillow.com provides an amzing amount of info on USA properties. Tracking 1/5/10 year trends, aerials etc.

I invest in US and found there data to be very accurate.

whiterabbit,

Thanks for the reply, and I'm sure that Seattle is a comparatively nice place to live. However I don't want to invest significant amounts of money in a bubble market. I appreciate that the US market is more fragmented than the UK one, but I find it difficult to believe that a housing crash won't affect Seattle. Of course it might not be for another year to two that the bubble bursts.

whiterabbit,

Thanks for the reply, and I'm sure that Seattle is a comparatively nice place to live. However I don't want to invest significant amounts of money in a bubble market. I appreciate that the US market is more fragmented than the UK one, but I find it difficult to believe that a housing crash won't affect Seattle. Of course it might not be for another year to two that the bubble bursts.

I moved out of Seattle in mid-February after living there for six+ years (for non-housing related reasons).

In my opinion, some unpublicised factors in play there are:

jobs are disappearing there (Boeing is slowly contracting; Microsoft continually "RIFs", [reduction in force], high-tech jobs continually move to Florida and Texas)

houses are over-priced relative to rental yield

rents are slowly dropping (primarily due to falling jobs and falling pay relative to costs)

I also think that the 90s tech boom led to a house price boom there that was sustained by Fed liquidity and low-rates; consequently, the loss of high tech incomes have yet to be felt in house prices.

It is a beautiful place to live. I was very happy there. But it's as beautiful a place to rent in as it is to buy in. There are lots of family-sized rentals about and the conditions of the rental properties is usually way superior to British rentals.

Edited by longjohn

whiterabbit,

Obviously Seattle has some bad areas and some people are loosing jobs but overall I would be very surprised if there was hpc there. It is very desirible place to live and the population is increasing. It is also still not that expensive compaired to the average earnings. Remember most FTBs in the US still buy houses and not 1 bed flats like here so this sqews the numbers. My wife is actually form the US and we have been considering getting a place near Portland about 2 hours further south on the coast which I still think is a bargain.

Obviously Seattle has some bad areas and some people are loosing jobs but overall I would be very surprised if there was hpc there. It is very desirible place to live and the population is increasing. It is also still not that expensive compaired to the average earnings. Remember most FTBs in the US still buy houses and not 1 bed flats like here so this sqews the numbers. My wife is actually form the US and we have been considering getting a place near Portland about 2 hours further south on the coast which I still think is a bargain.

I love Portland! Last time I was there was last September. I was surprised at how buzzing it appeared to be compared to the rest of the PNW.

If you can possibly live there take the opportunity. I was offered a job there shortly before my Green Card expired. Curses!

I love Portland! Last time I was there was last September. I was surprised at how buzzing it appeared to be compared to the rest of the PNW.

If you can possibly live there take the opportunity. I was offered a job there shortly before my Green Card expired. Curses!

Yes the idea is to buy a place there now and maybe spend the summers there. Ocean View stuff is still in the $300s which to me is a bargain. We are talking 3 bed houses on half acre lots for that price. Downtown Portland is also very nice with great brewpubs etc.