House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ExeC

Broken Garage Door

Heres the rundown :-

I rent from a professional landlord, when i signed the contract the agents told me he wasnt using them for management of the property any more, so i was given his direct details and now contact him regarding anything.

Ive not had any problems so far after 5 months.

Anyway, we have a garage outside with a manual open door, the other day i opened it and it all sprang loose, the rollers came out from each side the guide cables all came loose and its impossible for me to work out how to get it all back together.

I checked why it did this and on the left side the metal guide up the side of the garage wall was not screwed at the top and was about 2cm away from the wall, which let the roller slip out.

Anyway, the I rang the landlord and he was a bit taken back and basically said he cant really think of any way he can help me with my problem. and kinda left it at that, i persuaded him to come take a look, but i thought id ask people here where i stand with this.

Am i responsible for repair of this door, or should the landlord do it ?

What if he refuses if he should do it ?

Basically, as it is clear that the damage was not caused by negligence or maliciousness on your part, the landlord is responsible for the repair. Especially as it is structural. If he continues to refuse(but by "continues" I mean over a period of at least around 2-3 weeks, as this is a non urgent repair) get 2-3 quotes done and use the cheapest to fix it, then deduct this amount from the rent, sending the landlord a COPY of the bill. This is your legal right of offset.

Basically, as it is clear that the damage was not caused by negligence or maliciousness on your part, the landlord is responsible for the repair. Especially as it is structural. If he continues to refuse(but by "continues" I mean over a period of at least around 2-3 weeks, as this is a non urgent repair) get 2-3 quotes done and use the cheapest to fix it, then deduct this amount from the rent, sending the landlord a COPY of the bill. This is your legal right of offset.

I agree with Mr Shed - sounds like a sensible course of action. Don't take any nonsense from your landlord