House Price Crash Forum
bazzzzzzz

With 50% Of Advertised Flats Empty Iis Buy To Let Really Back?

50% of flats are empty! That one statistic alone should send warning signals through the whole industry. But she just cannot see it!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,...2076685,00.html

We are naughty landlords. The estate agency Knight Frank announced to me this week that we have not been doing our job properly. Apparently, half of all flats advertised to let, in London at least, are already sitting vacant, showing that we landlords are amateurs and should sign up right away for the likes of Knight Frank to come and manage them for us. Well, whether you believe that this statistic reveals poor landlording or that it is far easier to market an already empty flat than one with a tenant pulling faces at you is a moot point…

So why is 50% of advertised stock hanging around empty? “Landlords don’t take our advice,” said Hyatt, sadly. “They don’t do regular Nip/Tuck routines, by which I mean giving it a fresh look, perhaps a bit of a repaint, perhaps a bit of contemporary furniture. And sometimes the flat or house is not in the right price bracket.”

rolleyes.gif

post-67-1142165756.gif

or that it is far easier to market an already empty flat than one with a tenant pulling faces at you is a moot point…

Yeah, those really annoying tenants, if it weren't for them the BTL process would be so much nicer. Why don't they just hand over the money the landlord's are entitled to and p!ss off!

:o

ps no wonder her tenants pull faces at her, a two class society with attitudes in the press like that, no?!

Edited by Foobar

http://portal.telegraph.co.uk/property/mai...7/ixptop12.html

The souring of the inner-city dream has left a glut of empty, new-build apartments, affordable to few and situated in communities bereft of families. What now for the super-cool, urban living space that stands empty? Caroline McGhie reports on a post-Sipps nightmare

Post SIPPS crash perhaps? :)

“They don’t do regular Nip/Tuck routines, by which I mean giving it a fresh look, perhaps a bit of a repaint, perhaps a bit of contemporary furniture. And sometimes the flat or house is not in the right price bracket.”

The magic magnolia at work again as prescribed by merlin, the great fandango, gandalf and the mother of all magicians Paul Daniels.

Once using magic magnolia all of your troubles will go away. Especially if you use undersized furniture as well.

:D:D:D

SIPPs never happened, so how can it be post-SIPPs?

:blink:

Post SIPPs run-up then? IN anticipation of another Gordon "Miracle Economy" Brown HPI stimulus package the mugs went out and signed up for BTLs and then had to cancel and lose deposits galore.

Post SIPPs run-up then? IN anticipation of another Gordon "Miracle Economy" Brown HPI stimulus package the mugs went out and signed up for BTLs and then had to cancel and lose deposits galore.

Realistbear's article is 3 months out of date - the reported bounce back has happened since then

50% of flats are empty! That one statistic alone should send warning signals through the whole industry. But she just cannot see it!

Denial is a wonderful thing, isn't it?

I don't think this is just happening in London either. Around the corner from me is a new bunch of flats collectively called Watermans Yard, which has been my indicator for the rental market in Norwich for some time now. Sapey & Co have been trying to let all of these out since October - as you can see there are still a fair few available:

Sapey & Co's Available Properties

Don't be fooled by the "available from" column either. You'll soon see the ones marked "available from February" rolled over to "available from March", then "available from April" etc. Were it not for the fact I'm renting a room in a pretty sweet house at the minute I'd be tempted to wander into Sapey & Co and try to haggle them down close to the £335pcm I'm currently paying.

Alas, if I adopted such a strategy, I suspect I'd be part of a tiny majority. ("Haggling? Ugh! That's what the savages do, what, what, what!") :rolleyes:

Denial is a wonderful thing, isn't it?

I don't think this is just happening in London either. Around the corner from me is a new bunch of flats collectively called Watermans Yard, which has been my indicator for the rental market in Norwich for some time now. Sapey & Co have been trying to let all of these out since October - as you can see there are still a fair few available:

Sapey & Co's Available Properties

Don't be fooled by the "available from" column either. You'll soon see the ones marked "available from February" rolled over to "available from March", then "available from April" etc. Were it not for the fact I'm renting a room in a pretty sweet house at the minute I'd be tempted to wander into Sapey & Co and try to haggle them down close to the £335pcm I'm currently paying.

Joy :lol:

Realistbear's article is 3 months out of date - the reported bounce back has happened since then

The Telegraph article on the great SIPPS disaster may be dated late December but the consequences are still being felt. The overbuilding/BTL investment that went on in anticipation of SIPPs has flooded the market with empty flats up and down the country.

Actually 50% of All Flats currently advertised as to let. Before we get too excited.

So why is 50% of advertised stock hanging around empty? “Landlords don’t take our advice,” said Hyatt, sadly. “They don’t do regular Nip/Tuck routines, by which I mean giving it a fresh look, perhaps a bit of a repaint, perhaps a bit of contemporary furniture. And sometimes the flat or house is not in the right price bracket.”

Of course!! If they were all better decorated we'd be renting two each instead of one. That's how supply and demand works isn't it?

Millard vacillates from bull to bear and back again like one of those kid's toys that changes direction whenever it hits somthing.

Why the Sunday Times pays this woman on a weekly basis for a full page of utter drivel defies all logic.

Edited by Red Baron

The Millard woman is patently stupid. She vacillates from bull to bear and back again like one of those kid's toys that changes direction whenever it hits somthing.

Why the Sunday Times pays this woman on a weekly basis for a full page of utter drivel defies all logic.

for the same reason the daily ''Times'' pays Anatole Kaletsky to spout his economic claptrap.................

The Millard woman is patently stupid. She vacillates from bull to bear and back again like one of those kid's toys that changes direction whenever it hits somthing.

Not being dogmatic does not make her stupid, per se.

Not everyone takes firm sides in this great war of yours, or even sees it as such. Some people have mixed feelings or opinions, and that doesn't make them stupid. Maybe they're unconvinced or open-minded.

but where is the housing shortage then?