House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ElGriffo

Estate Agent Prices - Elevating Prices

I am a frustrated 39 year old wanna-be property owner in Surrey newbie to this forum- applogies if anything here is repeated..

More a problem at the start of the house price boom...

....I was informed that estate agents would value a house, then, for a 'laugh', add a % to the price (25% I was quoted) to see what would happen.....

...the house sold at this price. The British consumer is as much to blame for the stupid house price rises, as the kiddies who work as estate agents.

A lot of SE estate agents seem to be owned by Country Wide....is price fixing going on?

Would the housing maket and supporting industries (estate agents, DIY businesses etc) be a lot more healthy if prices were at a lower rate where there was a higher volume of sales? Prices seem now to mirror value-added products like executive cars - low volumes sales bases on high values still return enough revenue from gullible/stupid British property buyers to make a good prophit for the estate agents....and of course there is the curent 'greedy' breed of house sellers....

'Sell less for more' seems to be the thing.....

I am a frustrated 39 year old wanna-be property owner in Surrey

im 2 years younger and in a cheaper area, so im sort of slightly better off.

but sometimes. just sometimes i get so angry as to a bang a desk with a clenched fist and shout 'goddammit'.

get that housing SORTED !!!

good lad. compose yourself. compose yourself, and move on....

I am a frustrated 39 year old wanna-be property owner in Surrey newbie to this forum- applogies if anything here is repeated..

More a problem at the start of the house price boom...

....I was informed that estate agents would value a house, then, for a 'laugh', add a % to the price (25% I was quoted) to see what would happen.....

...the house sold at this price. The British consumer is as much to blame for the stupid house price rises, as the kiddies who work as estate agents.

A lot of SE estate agents seem to be owned by Country Wide....is price fixing going on?

Would the housing maket and supporting industries (estate agents, DIY businesses etc) be a lot more healthy if prices were at a lower rate where there was a higher volume of sales? Prices seem now to mirror value-added products like executive cars - low volumes sales bases on high values still return enough revenue from gullible/stupid British property buyers to make a good prophit for the estate agents....and of course there is the curent 'greedy' breed of house sellers....

'Sell less for more' seems to be the thing.....

There is absolutely NO REGULATION for EA's.

If you look at the RIghtmove figures (asking proces) to thos of Nationwide/Halifax etc they are MILES APART! Check a property for sale and the last sold price. In Liverpool Asking prices are still 20/30/40% above last sold. Its psychology. ASk anyone about a house for sale. They see it 4.8Million and it sells for £120K, but to the @NON-QUESTIONING@ man on the street the 4.8 Milllion pound house sold.

Check this out, its called the boiled frog syndrome - this is what has been happening for years!!

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/FAQ-what-...og-syndrome.php

A house thsat sold last week for £100K could be marketed like the OLD DAYS - as last sold PLUS 5%. This was used in a RISING market. NOw they would market it at £130K and expect someone to offer £120K. The buyer thinks they have a 'bargain' and the seller and EA/Mortgage Lender makes a killing.

ITS ALL A BIG SCAM and the sooner people wake up and smell the coffee the better!!!!

WELCOME TO HPC!

Edited by teddyboy

As much as I detest EAs, the real problem is with Joe Public. An asset is only worth what people will pay for it. Take Gold. Why does it have so much value? The answer is it doesn't have any real value until people start speculating with it and place a perceived value on it.

The problem isn't regulation of the EA but better regulation of the market. Just like we are pondering now why Endowment Mortgages ******ed so many peple over, we'll be doing the same in a decade, but only this time it'll be why I got ******ed over by my neighbour.

im 2 years younger and in a cheaper area, so im sort of slightly better off.

but sometimes. just sometimes i get so angry as to a bang a desk with a clenched fist and shout 'goddammit'.

get that housing SORTED !!!

good lad. compose yourself. compose yourself, and move on....

:lol: we have slightly differnt ways of dealing with anger :)

i bet you get as angry as ben fogle on country file powering a landrover over open countryside, fueled only by skimmed milk and john cravens spare bounty.

so long.

ive been looking too hard, ive been waiting too long....or so it goes.

though i might be wrong. this time i want to be sure. so im changing my name to lee wong.

that ought to fix it for at least the intrim.

Just as EAs help to push the market up they also help to reduce prices in a bad market.

We need a system whereby you have to proceed once the offer is on the table. No gazumping, gazundering etc. The only get-out would be if the house is found to be unmortgagable. All the messing around is amateurish nonsense.

How many times do you hear that Mr and Mrs Jones don't want to move because they've changed their minds. Meanwhile you've forked out best part of a grand for a search, survey etc.

From what I know there are about 1 in 3 houses that fall through. It is a crying shame.

Edited by Xurbia

The British consumer is as much to blame for the stupid house price rises, as the kiddies who work as estate agents.

"The British consuer" is entirely to blame. If a lot goes for a silly price in an auction we don't blame the auctioneer -- it's the bidders who determine the price.

when i watch homes under the hammer, its all grubby 40-50 somethings acting up for a bit of free cash from the ftbs and young renters. hardly ever do they want to live in it. its always flippers, rennovators and landlords. mostly over 40. theres many a crotchfeelers dirty rail coat among em'/ you can almost feel them undressing the auctioneer with their steely battle hardened eyes. their expressions sallow and contemptous.

lest they forget that those same eyes will look back at them as say 'if you sh1t your bed again im going to belt you old man. now get to sleep and pipe down' when they are old and infirm...and in our gentle care.

i plan to encircle the former btlrs with a string of motorcyle gang members. not letting them out of the circle and whooping as they flap in the dust.....until one by one they remit their crimes with hidden gold.

though i am not keeping my hopes up, so i have a back up plan.