House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sannyasin

Outsourcing By Ibm - Experiences Anyone?

My company is about to announce that we will outsourced by IBM Consulting very soon, can anyone give me some feedback on what they are like as an employer. I am currently pondering my next move.

My company is about to announce that we will outsourced by IBM Consulting very soon, can anyone give me some feedback on what they are like as an employer. I am currently pondering my next move.

Can't give any advice, but I was reading that the TUPE regulations are being extended this year (I think).

Basically a lot more situations will fall under TUPE than before. Might be worth reading up on it.

NDL

Tell us a bit more detail.

If you are kept in your present role just under their flag probably bad as they will wnat to keep you down for costing reasons. If you will actually join their consulting group and work on other projects as well then probably good. A lot depends on your present role and skill sets. IBM can be good or bad....................

If I were you I would google the internet for IBM layoffs.

Ibm layed off 14,000 in Europe last year, and announced 15,000 new hires in India.

You are only protected for a year under TUPE and I think you will find that it is the case that anyone can be layed off "For Economic Reasons" so in essence they can win the business and then offshore it obviously respecting your statutory redundancy of two weeks pay for every year you worked in continuous employ.

Under TUPE you get to keep your initial start date with your present company when you are transferred.

I have many many friends who have worked for IBM and had good careers, however they were laid off. For them at first it was devastating, however as one door closes another opens and they are doing very well outside now.

I would guess its swings and roundabouts, and you should go with the flow.

Key in demand skills today are, project managers, IT Managers, and anything to do with new business and its integration and management.

Techies are ten a penny and can be bought offshore for as little as a bowl of rice a day.