House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
OnlyMe

700 Apply For 30 Jobs At Store

There would have been more obviously if the advertising had not stopped. :blink:

http://www.thisisdevon.co.uk/displayNode.j...&folderPk=91672

700 APPLY FOR 30 JOBS AT STORE

Next Story | Previous Story | Back to list

Be the first reader to comment on this story

11:00 - 11 March 2006

A superstore had to stop advertising jobs after 700 people applied for just 30 posts in 11 days.

im not suprised. does devon produce anything other that perfect landscapes.

apart from the local services such as plumbers, shops i cant see what people would do for a living.

still. a good steady job at tesco will provide a decent living standard for the head of a young devon family.

http://www.thisisbath.co.uk/displayNode.js...&folderPk=89126

ANGRY FACTORY STAFF FIGHT FOR GOOD PAY-OFF

Next Story | Previous Story | Back to list

BY SARA OLIVER

11:00 - 11 March 2006
Angry workers have claimed that people buying new homes next to a Chippenham factory were told of its closure before they were. Dozens of staff from Hygrade packed into a Transport and General Workers' Union meeting, but most were too fearful to speak openly about the closure.
All those who did speak were angry about the way the closure,
which will affect around 550 jobs
, had been handled.

Looks like "strong employment growth" will not be underpinning house prices for much longer at this rate.

Been in IT Contracting for 12 years and have never had a problem finding a new contract. But now its different, theres so many people applying for 1 job. Spoke with agency on thursday and they had 300 people apply, they had to stop the cv response as there were too many to look through. Top high paid contracts where there is normally a shortage are seeing 35-50 people apply.

Reminds us of the late 80's all over again.

"Unemployment rose by 8.7 per cent in Britain the past year, the biggest rise for 13 years. Bankruptcies also rose to a record level and industrial performance is at its lowest level in a decade. The High Street suffered its worst start to the year since records began in 1945."

This is just great. Anyone else here suffer in the early 90's? The thing that bugs me the most is that I've seen this coming for quite a while, and due to a variety of personal circumstances know damn well that I'm not in a good position to weather the coming storm. I'm seriously thinking of taking the savings I do have, and when this all really kicks in, spending the time on a beach in India. Better that than running to stand still fighting my way through it. If those who are saying the bigger the bubble the bigger the crash are right, jesus - how bad is it going to be? I'm worried this could make the 90's crash look like an economic glitch rather than a recession.

:(

Liskeard is in Cornwall.

There are two cities in Devon. Plymouth and Exeter. You can find a job in both, be near to the sea and the wilderness of either Dartmoor or Exmoor.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

try the early 80s for size.....

When you combine unemployment and massive debt, the consequences today will be very interesting.

Been in IT Contracting for 12 years and have never had a problem finding a new contract. But now its different, theres so many people applying for 1 job. Spoke with agency on thursday and they had 300 people apply, they had to stop the cv response as there were too many to look through. Top high paid contracts where there is normally a shortage are seeing 35-50 people apply.

<_<

If they're anything like the contractors we've been saddled with, trust me you won't have problem! Frickin' useless! There's probably still a lot of rubbish sloshing around the IT market at the moment, the good ones normally get a contract/job quickly enough.

im not suprised. does devon produce anything other that perfect landscapes.

apart from the local services such as plumbers, shops i cant see what people would do for a living.

still. a good steady job at tesco will provide a decent living standard for the head of a young devon family.

Perhaps given the salary multiples required to buy a house in Devon, there were only 30 people applying, but to make ends meet they need to work 23 jobs each.

Billy Shears

Same in Medicine. This year 200 SHOs(the first step after the probationary year) couldn't find jobs.

I work as a GP locum. In the past 3 years, I could have booked myself to work every day three times over. This last 6 months has been very quiet, I have been okay, because I have had long term things going on. These end in May, and I don't have a lot of work on. Luckily I am starting a proper job(I've seen the writing on the wall and have decided to take the plunge and get a partnership) in June. I may not look too hard for work in May. I could do with spending a bit of time with my therapists, Dr Suzuki and Dr Aprilia. :D

Which agency was that? Doesn't sound like a normal agency, stoping cv responses.

When you combine unemployment and massive debt, the consequences today will be very interesting.

yes. i remember lots of non-jobbers, but at least people didnt OWE like they do now.

can you imagine yosser hughes having 8 barclaycards.?