House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Converted Lurker

Carlyle Group Bullish On Property

At the level these guys are at, given how politicised they are, they either know property is a sound bet or they will aggressively persue targets they know are in trouble with decent break up value. Either way watch their space (as much as you can given how secretive they are). Perhaps one of their first moves will be to protect Tony and Cherie given that he`ll probably end up linked to them in some way.. <_<

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArticl...&archived=False

These people, with their close links to the US administration, are the ultimate examples of a vested interest. They (and Halliburton) are a driving force behind US policy re Iraq, Foreign Affairs, Oil, contracts for contributions, etc.

You don't need to be Tessa Jowell's husband to see the possibilities of links between this company and the UK government - especially with the possibility of them entering the UK housing market.

We can only hope that they invest massively at the top of the market and then see HPC take a huge amount of money off them. However, I think this would actually be a threat to HPC happening. I can see B & B taking even more ridiculous decisions to prevent the HPC in order to protect their chums (future employers?) from losing. For example, in direct contrast to the actions of the rest of the world, dropping UK interest rates to further boost HPI (in the short term, long enough for Carlyle to get out) even if it brings on a massive recession / depression.

I don't think we should underestimate the sway that corporations like these have over our lives.

Worrying for us bears, I think.

LL

At the level these guys are at, given how politicised they are, they either know property is a sound bet or they will aggressively persue targets they know are in trouble with decent break up value. Either way watch their space (as much as you can given how secretive they are). Perhaps one of their first moves will be to protect Tony and Cherie given that he`ll probably end up linked to them in some way.. <_<

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArticl...&archived=False

Interesting development...

Based on Carlyle's past form (and that of similar VCs), I can't see them looking too far into the future; certainly not beyond five years. Can they see something on the horizon that we can't?

Quite agree that they are in bed with the UK govt - just look at the QinetiQ deal

could be they are getting things lined up to take advantage of forced sales over the next few years due to HPC !

Interesting development...

Based on Carlyle's past form (and that of similar VCs), I can't see them looking too far into the future; certainly not beyond five years. Can they see something on the horizon that we can't?

Quite agree that they are in bed with the UK govt - just look at the QinetiQ deal

Great point Europa - Blair basically gave 'Q branch' to Carlyle for way below market value. Perhaps, when he leaves office, he will set up a company that makes massive BMV bids for parts of the UK infrastructure (NHS, Defence, Man United - oops, that's already been done) on behalf of secretive American companies? This could be his future role at Carlyle - Chief Extortion Officer!

Surely, when history looks back and analyses Blair's actions in office they will note the huge influence that Americans have had over many of his key decisions (e.g. Iraq, war on terror, extraordinary rendition, UK prisons run by dreadful US companies, trade barriers, God into politics, etc.).

Unfortunately, I can't see Brown or Cameron being any different.

LL

Unfortunately, I can't see Brown or Cameron being any different.

and why should it be ?

they dont hold the real power round here.

wake up and smell the lack of democracy for the good of the people.

Private equity is growing, public companies are not working... look at all the mismanagment and even institutional stockholders cannot do too much. Thats why I think long term stock market is pants, it just doesn't work any more. A good percentage of british firms are owned by PE firms.

Going the private route tough decisions can be made and managment is more motivated.

Many expect a FSTE 100 company to fall prey to PE firms soon, some have funds enough to buy even major companies either alone or in a group.

Edited by mercsl

it's certainly a trend to watch for the future.

could the stockmarkets be in demise???... being bought out by megabucks Private firms so the little guy has his meagre holding snatched from him,leaving them with bugger all share in any profit.

it will happen for sure when there is no other way of sapping money out of people....leaving the unfortunates to work for nothing more than subsistence.(and that CAN happen here if the consumer market is transferred to other quarters of the globe)

Private equity is growing, public companies are not working... look at all the mismanagment and even institutional stockholders cannot do too much. Thats why I think long term stock market is pants, it just doesn't work any more. A good percentage of british firms are owned by PE firms.

Yeah, but look at 3i for example, they're listed on the FT100, how ironic!

I think we're going to see a massive reflation, it will vent into equities or into property, maybe both.

Going the private route tough decisions can be made and managment is more motivated.

Many expect a FSTE 100 company to fall prey to PE firms soon, some have funds enough to buy even major companies either alone or in a group.

But private equity firms invariably need an exit strategy - which usually involves a market listing

But private equity firms invariably need an exit strategy - which usually involves a market listing

Stock market will not disapear as such , expect to see mismanaged firms with potential fall prey to them and relisted some years later when sorted out or spun out to seperate businesses and flogged either to other busineses or PE firms.

Put it this way, a CEO of a large public company has more to gain running a medium sized PE owned firm for a few years as he has a good piece of the firm when the exit comes. There are no shareholders saying he is being paid too much either.

Edited by mercsl