House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Alfie Moon

Leaflets

Whilst waiting for house prices to drop to more reasonable and sensible levels I have been saving hard and keeping track of my local and national trends in the housing market. I think like others on here I can get a bit frustrated and bored whilst waiting for the level of house price drops necessary for it to make economic sense to enter the housing market to be achieved. Rather than sitting around passively I prefer to be active. With this in mind I have managed to raklly around a number of people and friends who are in a similar position to me who are not prepared to pay vastly over inflated house prices that will put us in a highly stressful and risky economic situation. We have agreed to spend £15 - £20 a month on posting out (using 2nd class stamps) leaflets to 1000 house addresses in our locality. The leaflets are aimed at challenging the spin of Estate Agents, mortgage lenders and TV Property Programme presenters that high/rising house prices are a good thing, that house prices never fall, and that falling/low house prices are a bad thing.

See the attached

the leaflet we have used has been very quickly put together and can undoubtedly be vastly improved. All constructive comments, ideas and suggestions would be welcome. I would particularly like to sort out photographs for the house that would have cost 3.5 times the average income in 2000 and the house that would cost 3.5 times the average income in 2005 (or 2006).

Draft_House_Prices_Leaflet_March_2006.doc

Draft_House_Prices_Leaflet_March_2006.doc

great info on that :)

not sure how you would fit it all on the same a4 sheet however, personally i would snip it all out to some things anyone reading cant fail to nod in agreement with and then add a link to the sites mentioned for them to gain all the rest of the info.

I should clarify that we are currently sending out 1000 leaflets in the post each month but will also leave piles of leaflets in public wherever possible. As we recruit more people the number of leaflets sent out will increase. The current bunch of people involved are made up of potential FTB's and current home owners who would like to move up the property ladder but are not prepared to do so as current prices.

Our target is Birmingham but we are making efforts to contact friends and acquaintances in other cities, town and villages to encourage them to start doing the same.

We will also be contacting the local media (newspapers, radio and TV) to let them know about our activity.

Whilst waiting for house prices to drop to more reasonable and sensible levels I have been saving hard and keeping track of my local and national trends in the housing market. I think like others on here I can get a bit frustrated and bored whilst waiting for the level of house price drops necessary for it to make economic sense to enter the housing market to be achieved. Rather than sitting around passively I prefer to be active. With this in mind I have managed to raklly around a number of people and friends who are in a similar position to me who are not prepared to pay vastly over inflated house prices that will put us in a highly stressful and risky economic situation. We have agreed to spend £15 - £20 a month on posting out (using 2nd class stamps) leaflets to 1000 house addresses in our locality. The leaflets are aimed at challenging the spin of Estate Agents, mortgage lenders and TV Property Programme presenters that high/rising house prices are a good thing, that house prices never fall, and that falling/low house prices are a bad thing.

See the attached

the leaflet we have used has been very quickly put together and can undoubtedly be vastly improved. All constructive comments, ideas and suggestions would be welcome. I would particularly like to sort out photographs for the house that would have cost 3.5 times the average income in 2000 and the house that would cost 3.5 times the average income in 2005 (or 2006).

Reminds me of what they did during the French and American revolutions. Leaflets were very effective to sway public opinion. I would be willing to leaflet my village! Any other volunteers?

The Birmingham Post is a FTB firendly newspaper--I have quoted their articles on HPC before.

This is the best idea to get the Word out so far--well done.

Edited by Realistbear

i already leaflet for a political party that will solve these problems

This is strictly a "human" rights issue. A government that deliberately adopts policies to disenfranchise millions from a basic right to home ownership is abusing human rights. Those who conspire with that government to distort facts and spin data to exacerbate the situation are equally guilty.

Right Mr. Blek. More than one page and 98.7% of people will not read it. Gotta be in full colour and professionaly done. The word "bubble" to appear prominentally as it is a buzz word these days and people will take notice.

Right Mr. Blek. More than one page and 98.7% of people will not read it. Gotta be in full colour and professionaly done. The word "bubble" to appear prominentally as it is a buzz word these days and people will take notice.

A witty headline to capture the attention

"House price crash coming to your area soon!"

and then simple points. Forget lengthy paragraphs - they simply do not work. Bullet points to get the facts through.

Thanks for the encouragement and comments.

I agree that the current version of the leaflet is somewhat clumsy and far too dense and busy with text. However a number of important points are made.

The aim was to think of straightforward text and ways of presenting the issues (e.g. photographs that show how we are getting less and less for our money in terms of property + bar charts that illustrate how, as house prices rise, Estate Agents etc. get richer and richer and we get poorer and poorer and vice versa as house prices fall). I think for leaflets to be effective they need to be straightforward and not use overly complex terms, diagrams and graphs, and arguments.

Perhaps a double sided leaflet could be developed rather than a one page product.

I fully acknowledge that vast improvements could be made.

In addition to a core (one or double sided) leaflet people may want to do a similar analysis of their locality as I have done for Bearwood in Birmingham. I think local examples will help people appreciate how out of control the situation has become and how much they will be ripped off if they go ahead and pay anything close to current asking prices.

Well done for doing something.

IMPO, you have too much information on there. People throw away flyers that come through the door with much less information. We no longer live in the 10 second sound-bite era - that simply ain't enough time. If you cannot convey your message in 5 seconds people do not listen.

That's my tuppence.

I should clarify that we are currently sending out 1000 leaflets in the post each month but will also leave piles of leaflets in public wherever possible. As we recruit more people the number of leaflets sent out will increase. The current bunch of people involved are made up of potential FTB's and current home owners who would like to move up the property ladder but are not prepared to do so as current prices.

Our target is Birmingham but we are making efforts to contact friends and acquaintances in other cities, town and villages to encourage them to start doing the same.

We will also be contacting the local media (newspapers, radio and TV) to let them know about our activity.

I would be careful as to what you write. If you show what the average 3.5 times salary was like some time ago, and what the same house is like now, then it might well backfire and encourage smugness, feelings of richness, and greater expectations in home owners. I'm not 100% sure that leaflets would be effective, but if you were to do so I'd probably aim at things more closely related to the personal interests of the readers, not appeal to their charity.

Billy Shears

A witty headline to capture the attention

"House price crash coming to your area soon!"

and then simple points. Forget lengthy paragraphs - they simply do not work. Bullet points to get the facts through.

Risky. If it doesn't come "soon" then people will become even more "confident" that house prices will stay high forever.

Billy Shears

I take your point Billy Shears.

The section on how high/rising house prices make it more and more difficult and expensive for current homeowners to move to a better property/area was aimed at deflating such 'smugness'.

Also the points that show how high/rising house prices means that all of us have less and less money available to put in our pensions, savings, paying bills and our day to day quality of life should help people feel less smug.

I take your point Billy Shears.

The section on how high/rising house prices make it more and more difficult and expensive for current homeowners to move to a better property/area was aimed at deflating such 'smugness'.

Also the points that show how high/rising house prices means that all of us have less and less money available to put in our pensions, savings, paying bills and our day to day quality of life should help people feel less smug.

Yes, you have a very good point there. Though I wouldn't envy your job in trying to get that across in one page.

BTW: I'd like to point out that I do applaud you for doing something. I would hope that any comments I make are taken in "devils advocate" kinda way. I.e. point out any potential pitfalls rather than just be destructively negative.

Billy Shears

I agree that you should bullet point the most important points and elaborate only where absolutely necessary.

Perhaps you could have a couple (or a few) transparent graphs in the background of your single A4 page. (Yes, I think one page, maximum!) This way, you will get twice the info across. Am attaching a crude example using youe own text (one page only).

Also, an eye catching bubble shaped like a house about to pop would serve as a useful top-of-page 'logo'.

see attached cartoon for inspiration...

Best of luck with it - if you need help with artwork, let me know! ;)sample_leaflet.doc2002_10_08_Housing_bubble_markets_flatten_a_bit_530.JPG

sample_leaflet.doc

post-278-1142083088.jpg

Edited by red

You pay more stamp duty

You have to borrow more money to pay Gordon his stamp duty

Council taxes will rise the more your house value rises (OK, technically they'll rise because they need to raise more money)

That'll get homeowners vaguely interested but maybe not if they're not planning to move