House Price Crash Forum
OnlyMe

Such A Good Post From Elsewhere

I thought you may all want to see it..

Says a lot about some housing associations, says maybe even more about some of the papers on the newsstand.

http://boards.fool.co.uk/Message.asp?mid=9874834

Last week the Sunday Times named a housing association as the best small firm to work for in the UK. Here's why…..

An office like a “cosy front room.”

Honey-coloured squidgy sofas

The staff love their jobs

Regular lunches out

The staff get rewarded with flowers and chocolates.

A £26,000 budget for “social activities”

26 weeks maternity leave

10 weeks maternity leave at full pay

2 weeks paternity leave at full pay

Grandparent leave

Adoption leave

Even Shagging leave (known as “fertility” leave)

Carers leave

Parental leave

Career breaks up to 12 months

Fantastic!!!

And wait for it……..They make £7.6million profit on £10.6million Sales.

I hear you asking, “how can they possibly produce a 70% profit on sales? Surely they must be over-charging? How can they possibly pay for all this maternity, paternity, grandparent and shagging leave?

The secret is on their web-site.

” We work with, and are partly funded by, local councils and the Housing Corporation (the government agency that funds and regulates housing associations).

..... Read on.

Edited by OnlyMe

I thought you may all want to see it..

Says a lot about some housing associations, says maybe even more about some of the papers on the newsstand.

http://boards.fool.co.uk/Message.asp?mid=9874834

Last week the Sunday Times named a housing association as the best small firm to work for in the UK. Here's why…..

An office like a “cosy front room.”

Honey-coloured squidgy sofas

The staff love their jobs

Regular lunches out

The staff get rewarded with flowers and chocolates.

A £26,000 budget for “social activities”

26 weeks maternity leave

Grandparent leave

Adoption leave

Carers leave

Parental leave

Fantastic!!!

And wait for it……..They make £7.6million profit on £10.6million Sales.

I hear you asking, “how can they possibly produce a 70% profit on sales? Surely they must be over-charging? How can they possibly pay for all this maternity, paternity, grandparent and shagging leave?

The secret is on their web-site.

” We work with, and are partly funded by, local councils and the Housing Corporation (the government agency that funds and regulates housing associations).

..... Read on.

I work with a lot of housing associations and 1/2 if it is statutory leave that anyone is entititled to and most of this rest is b*llocks. This sounds like they have found 1 Housing Association and damned the lot of the basis of that.

An office like a “cosy front room.” (not the ones I know. most of them do have offices)

Honey-coloured squidgy sofas (hello, is this a fashion thing? never seen even vaguely like a honey coloured squidgy sofa - they would wish! They do have such things as staff rooms occassionally due to Health and Safety requirements for a separate space for eating)

The staff love their jobs (well, what a terrible thing)

Regular lunches out (not paid for by the organisation as far as I have seen)

The staff get rewarded with flowers and chocolates. (that is just a damn lie. lf its gifts from happy punters that is just about all they are allowed to accept and then they have to record it in the asset register - but if happy punters are moved to give them gifts (often poor happy punters at that) I would suggest it is a fair indication of their value)

A £26,000 budget for “social activities” (which one is that?)

Statutory leave that may included extended conditions.

26 weeks maternity leave

Adoption leave

Carers leave

Parental leave

Slightly longer than statutory - it varies by HAs I have seen HAs that stick strictly to the limit (actually I have applied for jobs in HAs that stick strictly to the limit)

But a lot of big private sector corporates also extend the conditions as part of their overall conditions. Note link 2 is sponsored by BT.

http://www.employersforcarers.org.uk/docs/good_practice.html

http://www.compupaye.com/Business/productsbusiness/SMP.htm

Never heard of either of these - maybe they made them up

Grandparent leave

Once again a lot of the big corporates also offer career breaks. It keeps good staff.

One of the things I notice about HAs the is the level of commitment of staff, particularly in the small ones. A lot of the staff genuinely believe in what they are providing (find that in an EAs office if you will). It is this rather than the honey coloured sofas (wherever they may be) that tend to be what makes them a joy to work with.

Sometimes I think that this site is populated by middle class moaners whose sole drive is jealousy and who sound to me just like an article in the Times described the Blairs after the official guests leave.

This sounds like they have found 1 Housing Association and damned the lot of the basis of that.

----

Sometimes I think that this site is populated by middle class moaners whose sole drive is jealousy and who sound to me just like an article in the Times described the Blairs after the official guests leave.

Interesting...

I am 23, a recent gradutate (ed: well, just under 2 years ago and still paying off bank debt) and very very broke...

Edited by sllabres

Interesting...

I am 23, a recent gradutate (ed: well, just under 2 years ago and still paying off bank debt) and very very broke...

I'm 41 years old and still living in shared housing. Do you want to get into an "I grew up in a hole in the road" competition? I assure you I would have to pummel you into the hole in the road you grew up in.

Your taxes at work

My rent. Which I don't begrudge them.

As other posters mention the perks (those which haven't been made up) are fairly standard, statutory even. What working conditions do people want them to have? Those enjoyed by the staff of Macdonalds'?

UNLESS you wise up, and` leave the country

Or come and work for the Government. On paper I earn a lot elss than I could elsewhere, but I choose to because of the perks of working in the public sector. They're not that great but after 20 years of being exploited by employers big and small it's refreshing.

Edited by vicster

Great. Thanks Peach. The only one who failed the "authoritarian personality" test.

Somebody on Mottley Fool lied, and just like with politicians everywhere we believed it because it was said with clarity and drew on authority. And some of it was so blatant that a fool (me) could realise that at least some of it was made up (I thought it was the journo rather than the poster who was a liar) ...

But others are so tied up in their anti public sector prejudices that they will believe anything, no matter how crazy, said so long as it was negative about a particular sector of the population (as did the Germans in 1920s and 30s - hence Jewish concentration camps) Its called an authoritarian personality.

We see what we expect to see. The Barnum Principle.

So the next time a man in a white coat tells you to ramp up the electrical current being applied to a screaming subject in a scientific experiment, whose up for it?

Edited by Elizabeth

.... and who sound to me just like an article in the Times described the Blairs after the official guests leave.

Elizabeth, your posts are normally quite lucid. Have you been drinking? <_<

My rent. Which I don't begrudge them.

As other posters mention the perks (those which haven't been made up) are fairly standard, statutory even. What working conditions do people want them to have? Those enjoyed by the staff of Macdonalds'?

Do you know how much comes out of taxes / grants? Have a look at "Social housing grant" then look at the number of people employed and the number of houses serviced by these organisations.

Elizabeth, your posts are normally quite lucid. Have you been drinking? <_<

No, I'm not a morning person. Even my perfectionist tendencies seem to be less so. I was aware that that sentence was not great, but I really couldn't be fagged, when I needed another fag anyway and the attitudes I was going at are so beneath my comtempt its not funny. Why do I bother me thinks :blink: Leave people in their ignorance and their prejudice. It makes absolutely no frigging difference in the long run (long being the 8 minutes it takes to log off and start on something else).

I read an article in the Times where somebody who knows somebody who knows Tony and Cherie said that once the official guest have left the conversation always returns to have poor the Blairs are :o and how they don't have as much as their rich friends (SOB ;) ). I would believe it. They seem like the type. Its this moaning thing I can't stand. I know a lot of good people who do a lot of good work in the public sector (and would only dream of a honey lounge - its hard enough getting a rest room <_< ). The tendency in the press and here as well is to slag the public sector first, don't research later (and in the case of the press, not even to reply to letters from the public pointing out in precise detail the genuine first hand facts). Sloppy!

Edited by Elizabeth

Guest muttley

Somebody on Mottley Fool lied, and just like with politicians everywhere we believed it because it was said with clarity and drew on authority. And some of it was so blatant that a fool (me) could realise that at least some of it was made up (I thought it was the journo rather than the poster who was a liar) ...

For me the telling point is that many of us read it and thought it was true.

I don't need a journalist or a poster on TMF to tell me that the public sector exist in a seperate world from the rest of us.I see it at work every day.

Do we get value for money from the extra million or so public sector workers employed by the state since 1997? Not if my experience is anything to go by.

The NHS has had huge amount of extra funding from the Treasury.When this was announced it was applauded by one and all as a good thing.And it would have been if this money had been spent on front line doctors,nurses or other key workers.The NHS now employs 210,000 managerial and clerical staff.If they were given something useful to do,like make a bed,there would still be too many of them.The NHS only has 199,000 beds.

The FHSA has been replaced by the PCT and with it come a new tier of Audit Officers,Quality Managers,Audit Facilitators and almost any other meaningless named job you can think of,because nobody knows what they do.

If they did nothing but pass pieces of paper to one another it would be bad enough,but instead they come up with new "initiatives" which are usually doomed to failure from the start.One such "initiative" was to replace the supply of oxygen from pharmacies with the supply from a central organisation.The resulting chaos has left patients without oxygen,seen hospital admissions increase,and resulted in at least one death in my area.The final service will almost certainly cost more to administer and won't be as efficient.

The NHS is not unique in this type of incompetance.A couple of years ago it came to light that the people in charge of the purse strings at the MOD had bought 60,000 chairs at a cost of £1,000 each.When this was questioned it was pointed out that the chairs has originally been priced at £1,100 each.Presumably this would have gone down as a £6M saving

Many people,like me,feel that the public sector is becoming the chosen profession of bossy, form-filling,second-raters. If half of them were sacked would anyone notice?

A couple of years ago it came to light that the people in charge of the purse strings at the MOD had bought 60,000 chairs at a cost of £1,000 each.When this was questioned it was pointed out that the chairs has originally been priced at £1,100 each.Presumably this would have gone down as a £6M saving

I wonder where they went, all those £1k chairs, especially seeing as there are only 80,000 employees in the MoD, not all of whom are going to be desk based?

Many people,like me,feel that the public sector is becoming the chosen profession of bossy, form-filling,second-raters. If half of them were sacked would anyone notice?

No. Other than the staff at the dole office. The MoD is downsizing though.

Edited by vicster

I'm 41 years old and still living in shared housing. Do you want to get into an "I grew up in a hole in the road" competition? I assure you I would have to pummel you into the hole in the road you grew up in.

Only multimillionaire popstars from Manchester like to get into this kind of thing.

Sorry Elizabeth. No fan of the public sector here.

The public sector IS a disaster for this country. According to MoneyWeek, 1.25 million private sector jobs have been lost under New Labour, to be replaced by tax black hole jobs, that you can bet your bottom dollar aren't financed by foreigners.

I also dislike the idea that I have to be patronised by the government that "teachers, firemen etc" are "essential key workers", yes they are but I don't need to be told. I also find it offensive that these seem to deserve special mentions all the time, when their salaries are on line with mine in the private sector.

I also find it patronising that, by implication, I appear to be required to accept that the private sector could never provide reasonable jobs for people. This is a common inference I've drawn from 'leftie' rhetoric, usually accompanied by moralistic attacks on the entrepeneurial individuals who set up these businesses in the first place, and the amount of monies they are taking from their hard work whilst they provide others with jobs.

To take the cake, I've noticed that, recently, roadworks are being described as 'essential works'.

The underlying message is "Thou shalt not question our decisions". Hardly surprising New Labour get such a slagging.

Sorry you're having a bad morning.

Edited by megaflop

I appear to be required to accept that the private sector could never provide reasonable jobs for people.

They possibly could, but they generally don't - at least not for the lower paid. I was pleased to get out of the private sector after 20 years for that reason. having said that there are plenty of public sector workers who have no idea how good they have it in comparison. Those are Muttley's bossy, form-filling,second-raters. I'd like to see them booted out and some of my old private sector colleagues brought in - people who have experienced the real world - the one in which you get fired with a week's notice for being crap :lol:

we used to dream of shared housing. it would have been a luxury to us.....

Guest muttley

I wonder where they went, all those £1k chairs, especially seeing as there are only 80,000 employees in the MoD, not all of whom are going to be desk based?

Sorry.It was 3,150 chairs. :(

I suppose I'll have to fill in a HPC Incident Report Form now.

Edited by muttley

If they did nothing but pass pieces of paper to one another it would be bad enough,but instead they come up with new "initiatives" which are usually doomed to failure from the start.One such "initiative" was to replace the supply of oxygen from pharmacies with the supply from a central organisation.The resulting chaos has left patients without oxygen,seen hospital admissions increase,and resulted in at least one death in my area.The final service will almost certainly cost more to administer and won't be as efficient.

The NHS is not unique in this type of incompetance.A couple of years ago it came to light that the people in charge of the purse strings at the MOD had bought 60,000 chairs at a cost of £1,000 each.When this was questioned it was pointed out that the chairs has originally been priced at £1,100 each.Presumably this would have gone down as a £6M saving

I would never disagree that their was waste, but take your example. I saw that report and it was done in the name of greater efficiency through privatisation. The ambulance used to get the oxogen to some people. It was a mixture of local deliveries that seemed to work. But the government at every rung is ideologically obsessed with Privatisation for its own sake, and getting 'better value for money' no matter what the impact on the ability of the companies to deliver. There is no analysis of what works and what is a reasonable cost, just what is a negotiable cost, and the whole system is geared towards getting rid of the public delivery, and forcing margins into the ground for private companies that take over from them (so that you can pay less taxes).

They of course pass the margin reductions onto their front-line workers as lower wages, who then don't neccessarily have the motivation to deliver the goods. I mean, if I was getting 7 quid an hour, I would consider myself pretty dispensible and certainly not critical and would be either:

a) looking for another job that paid better or

B ) if I didn't think I could, I'd turn up but I would really worry that much about the job - if someones life is dependant on me I would expect to be valued a bit more, so I could only conclude that my job wasn't critical.

Hospital cleaning is a classic example of this. Marie Curie and Co established 100 years ago that in fact cleaners should be seen as at the centre of an effective hospital delivery. But the ideological drive to privatise has seen cleaners valued at nothing (6-8 quid an hour). Cleaners don't think they're critical at all, and why should they? They are paid as if they are easily replaceable which in fact they are, but with what? More cleaners who don't bother cleaning? In fact, take out everybody else, and make sure the cleaning is effective, and you would probably have signficant improvements in cost of the NHS overnight. Give them a bloody NVQ if you have to! Reinfections stand at about 10-15% in the NHS and are the largest major waste of bedspace while people who have developed secondary infections have to recover from those as well. They should be down around the 4-5% mark. And yes I have been in a hospital that was vile enough to make this comment. Would you wish to see your friend treated in a portable building lying on blood spattered sheets (not her own blood?)

This is NOT neccessarily the fault of the private sector companies. If they want to compete they have to meet miniscule margins and force wages down thereby finding it hard to attract and retain staff. But it was a private company that botched the oxogen deliveries. Lets get that on record.

Edited by Elizabeth