House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

right_freds_dead

Tv Licence Man Just Got A Door In The Face

about a minute ago i got a knock on the door. decided to answer the frosted glass since i thought it was a neighbour due to blurred green fleece in window. or at least a nice parcel.

answered to a middle aged man with a clip board. 'ah here we go' i thought,

me:"can i help you"

him "some comment but no real answer'

he fumbled around in pocket and presented a tv licence inspector id like he was cheif inspector hardbastard from belltown nick.

me" oh sorry, its not a convenient time- SLAM'

end of story.

i must admit. the inspector looked beat.

i used to have a tv licence, but got so sick of the bbcs vested house coverage i cancelled the dd. im not paying for property propaganda. and i dont have to answer questions at my door.

do you think he will go get a warrant ?

who cares.

i do watch it. i just try to avoid the bbc.

unless its coast....which was alright, but recently there was a coast all day back to back marathon and now im burned out on coasts.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Using a TV or any other device to receive or record TV programmes (for example, a VCR, set-top box, DVD recorder or PC with a broadcast card) without a valid TV Licence is against the law and could lead to prosecution and a fine of up to £1,000, not to mention the embarrassment and hassle of a court appearance.

Licences are issued under the wireless telegraphy act 1948 and not by the BBC.

What if you have cable? Ironic ain't it!

about a minute ago i got a knock on the door...

Get a license you crackpot. :P

Seriously though, do you think a state-funded BBC is a bad idea, or do you think it should be funded in 'less fair' ways, through income tax for example where everyone pays.

I really, really can't stand Eastenders, but there's other stuff I don't mind paying for. I still think it should be pay-per-view though.

The license is a monopoly for the BBC. It should be abolished and they should be in direct competition with the other channel to raise their own funding.

Guest boredwaiting

I agree Blek. Most of BBC's programmes are rubbish in my opinion!

Not at all - there are some fantastic programs on the bbc - such as dinosaurs, the blue planet, top of the pops :)

Seriously though they keep adverts in the uk down. Watch TV in america and you would really appreciate it.

In denmark the tv licence fee is £200 and there is nothing there at all.....

Using a TV or any other device to receive or record TV programmes (for example, a VCR, set-top box, DVD recorder or PC with a broadcast card) without a valid TV Licence is against the law and could lead to prosecution and a fine of up to £1,000, not to mention the embarrassment and hassle of a court appearance.

i always thought it was 1949. Lol Nevermind

Heres another BBC housing report to get you lot fired up...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4785178.stm

"Last week, the Nationwide reported that in February, annual house price inflation slipped back to 3.7%. "

"But in fact, an examination of its own data also reveals that prices have been on an upward trend since last summer. "

...it all depends on how you look at the data I guess....

about a minute ago i got a knock on the door. decided to answer the frosted glass since i thought it was a neighbour due to blurred green fleece in window. or at least a nice parcel.

he fumbled around in pocket and presented a tv licence inspector id like he was cheif inspector hardbastard from belltown nick.

end of story.

i used to have a tv licence, but got so sick of the bbcs vested house coverage i cancelled the dd. im not paying for property propaganda. and i dont have to answer questions at my door.

who cares.

The DD overcharges you for the first six months so that you become essentially 6 months ahead on your licence.

Now I had one when I was renting ages ago and moved from that renting scenario to my parents where I then tried to get the cash back.

They never arranged it.

I then had a letter with proof of overcharging and how much they owed me delivered by registered post now saying that the extra amount of £50 that they were refusing to repay was an unathorised loan to be charged at 30% compound interest an hour.

Never heard back.

I am not sure if this would stand up in court, but I now fully believe that I own the BBC so you are all absolved from paying your licences..

They stole from me way before they lied to me.

£50 might not seem like a lot, but it is my money not theirs.

BBC are scum

But they are re-maiking DR Who..

So they are mostly scum

Seriously though they keep adverts in the uk down. Watch TV in america and you would really appreciate it.

Take your point about US TV. and the UK commercial channels are catching up fast. Three breaks in an hour long prog is really taking the piss, but seems to be standard these days. However, the BBC are also getting in on the act: The intervals between programmes are stacked with ads and trailers for their own lacklustre products; obscure radio channels, digital TV shows that no bugger watches and of course the ever popular pay-your-licence-fee-or-else-we'll-put-you-in prison-and-sell-your-children-into-slavery.

Good for your Right Fred's Dead, but be careful. Don't answer the door.

end of story.

who cares.

I worried you. Not just because of the imminent prosecution for watching TV without a licence and your free-rider attitude to it but mostly because you seem to have a lifestyle that consists of not answering the door unless you think it's a neighbour, talking about problems on the internet rather than face to face with friends and spending all day watching TV. Or is it me I'm really worried about? :o

When you've spent as much time in the Special Forces as RFD has, strangling people with your boot laces, living off raw snake meat in the Arabian desert, or just trooping the colour, society's "rules" just become a bit too much of a hassle. RFD is a maverick, he goes his own way, and paying an effing TV license totally goes against the grain.

That said, it might blow the cover of your "IT company" if you don't pay up. Take the kicking, and crawl away - you'll still be the better man.

The DD overcharges you for the first six months so that you become essentially 6 months ahead on your licence.

Now I had one when I was renting ages ago and moved from that renting scenario to my parents where I then tried to get the cash back.

They never arranged it.

I then had a letter with proof of overcharging and how much they owed me delivered by registered post now saying that the extra amount of £50 that they were refusing to repay was an unathorised loan to be charged at 30% compound interest an hour.

Never heard back.

I am not sure if this would stand up in court, but I now fully believe that I own the BBC so you are all absolved from paying your licences..

They stole from me way before they lied to me.

£50 might not seem like a lot, but it is my money not theirs.

BBC are scum

But they are re-maiking DR Who..

So they are mostly scum

That's what I thought when I looked into DD, but I thought I was being stoopid. Why would I give them money 6 mths in advance? (I'm not against the fee, by the way.)

You don't need a licence if you can convince the detector police that you only watch DVDs or videos on your television - but you are likely to have to make sure your aerial is unplugged and the TV not tuned into any channels.
But if you use that connection to watch delayed programmes, such as a football match shown 24 hours after it has been played, then you don't need a licence.

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/organgrinder/2..._explained.html

Seriously though, do you think a state-funded BBC is a bad idea,... [HPCheese]

Yes.

...or do you think it should be funded in 'less fair' ways,...

No, it should be funded in a fair way, by subscription.

...through income tax for example where everyone pays.

Around a third of the BBC's income already comes from general taxation -- payment for 'free' licences to pensioners and funding for the World Service.

I've not lived in a house with TV reception apparatus for over 15 years. I don't miss it.

end of story.

who cares.

I suspect he will go and get a warrant. I had just moved into a new flat once and was unpacking, and the door went - the TV licence guy was after the previous occupant. After saying I was not he, he then said "you'll do" and proceeded to read me my rights as per me being arrested! I would have actually got a license that week anyway. I should have just told him to f@ck off, but to be honest I was to flabergasted/bemused by the whole thing to think fast enough. This is not a situation that will occur again however.

Also don't try the "only use it to watch DVD's argument" - The Little Hitlers certainly won't buy it, and I doubt the courts will either.

They never arranged it.

I suppose with a normal paper license you are paying the whole year in advance.

I've had some fun exchanges with the license people. One time I didn't have a license for 6 months or so and they hadn't got round to doorstepping me . I bought a new license from the PO and the cheeky buggers wrote to me to say they had adjusted the date to continue that license from the end date of the last license. If they'd actually bothered to enquire I'd probably have admitted and allowed the date adjustment but I was so incensed that they had just gone ahead without asking me first whether I had actually required a license during that time that I dug my toes in and insisted they just change it back which they did in the end.

I moved house mid license one time too and got them to refund part of my fee - but they only refund each whole 'quarter' remaining eg. if there's 89 days left to run you get nothing back but if its 90 days you get a quarter back. Cheeky buggers.

If you have a satellite or cable receiver connected to either a monitor or a TV with the UHF tuner removed then in theory you have a configuration undetectable by the TV detector vans.

TV detectors work by checking for a local oscillator signal produced by the UHF tuner of a TV or video recorder. The downside is that without a UHF tuner you can't receive terrestrial programmes but that isn't a problem if you have satellite or cable.

Nobody has ever been convicted by TV licensing based on electromagnetic radiation emitted from their house i.e. TV detector vans. Apparently it’s a myth that these vans even exist.

Most convictions seem to be based on ‘self incrimination’ and/or letting in a TV licence sales man into your house. If you know your rights inside out and have good ‘answering the door discipline’ (which you should have anyway) then theoretically you can get away without a licence…

http://www.tvlicensing.biz/

Note:

a) I’m against having the BBC supported by a compulsory licence fee.

B) I am living out of the country so can watch British media online and via satellite (I like channel 4 news) perfectly legally without paying a penny.

It really baffles me that so many people are willing to hand over £10/month to these intimidating ***** when it's an optional thing. If only income tax was collected in the same way.

Television detector vans are for real and the equipment actually works. I know this because I used to work on one that patrolled the streets at the time Eastenders was being broadcast. I got the job because I was very interested in radio propagation. There are some cunning techniques used to pinpoint a TV to a distance of only a few feet and avoid reflected local oscillator emissions from a TV in another house.