House Price Crash Forum

The Baghdad Blogger

HOLA441
HOLA442

http://newssearch.bbc.co.uk/cgi-bin/search...+a+buck+in+iraq

what an all round good egg this guys is.

3 ways to make money in Bagdhad - dodgy oil deals, become a corrupt member of parliament or kidnap someone (preferable a child) and demand a ransome.

Put your thoughts on it here.

I would love to read it and possibly comment, but the BBC have deemed that anybody actually close to Bagdad is blocked from reading it! UK users only!

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

One of my sons returned from the area this week and assures me Iraq is about to blow. A major civil war, which will probably drag in most of the surrounding countries in various guises, appears more than likely and there's little we can do about it. From a selfish point of view I just hope we pull our troops out asap!

HOLA446

One of my sons returned from the area this week and assures me Iraq is about to blow. A major civil war, which will probably drag in most of the surrounding countries in various guises, appears more than likely and there's little we can do about it. From a selfish point of view I just hope we pull our troops out asap!

I agree completely. Unfortunately, we have just deployed was it another 5500 combat troops to Southern Afghanistan? Very near to the Southern Iraq and Iran border, which is where a lot is going to kick off if all-out civil war occurs, especially if the Iranians are backing some of the militias as is suspected. Our very own Vietnam and our lads should never have been sent there in the first place.

The southern part of Iran is I believe where most of the Iranians oil reserves are. Expect to see oil prices go through the roof.

Christ, I begin to dispare, I really do. You can actually see it unfolding and are powerless to stop it.

HOLA447

I agree completely. Unfortunately, we have just deployed was it another 5500 combat troops to Southern Afghanistan? Very near to the Southern Iraq and Iran border, which is where a lot is going to kick off if all-out civil war occurs, especially if the Iranians are backing some of the militias as is suspected. Our very own Vietnam and our lads should never have been sent there in the first place.

The southern part of Iran is I believe where most of the Iranians oil reserves are. Expect to see oil prices go through the roof.

Christ, I begin to dispare, I really do. You can actually see it unfolding and are powerless to stop it.

Yes, as if it's not a civil war already in everything but name. Iraq rarely makes the front pages anymore, unless something big happens. Out of sight, out of mind is an old political game.

This site gives a better picture.

http://icasualties.org/oif/default.aspx

HOLA448

I would love to read it and possibly comment, but the BBC have deemed that anybody actually close to Bagdad is blocked from reading it! UK users only!

Same problem here (spain). Thanks heavens for VPNs.

Not long ago I had no small degree of envy towards friends who have bought big pads in the countryside. I´ve always rented modest central abodes within walking/cycling distance of work.

Maybe things are starting to pay off?

btp

HOLA449

http://newssearch.bbc.co.uk/cgi-bin/search...+a+buck+in+iraq

what an all round good egg this guys is.

3 ways to make money in Bagdhad - dodgy oil deals, become a corrupt member of parliament or kidnap someone (preferable a child) and demand a ransome.

Put your thoughts on it here.

For a while there appears to have been a forth way to make money in Baghdad until recently - property.

From an article on Reuters.

"Estate agents say a sharp spike in sectarian violence in recent months has driven property prices higher in more peaceful areas of the capital, while prices are dropping in more violent neighbourhoods.

The old real estate adage "location, location, location" still applies, but rather than the proximity of schools or transport driving the demand for property, as in most of the world's capitals, in Baghdad it's purely down to safety.

Fearful of sectarian reprisals that have killed hundreds, families from the Shi'ite Muslim majority and the Sunni minority are being driven out of mixed neighbourhoods and are seeking refuge in areas where bombs and bullets are less common."

And we think our housing market is looking dodgy?

"Demand to buy houses used to be strong, particularly shortly after the U.S.-led invasion toppled Saddam Hussein, but as violence has steadily taken its grip on Iraq, few people want to risk buying, insteading looking for short-term rents."

Location, location, location, now this gives me an idea where Phil and Kirstie should be sent for their next series.

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/IBO863827.htm

HOLA4410

Yes, as if it's not a civil war already in everything but name. Iraq rarely makes the front pages anymore, unless something big happens. Out of sight, out of mind is an old political game.

This site gives a better picture.

http://icasualties.org/oif/default.aspx

"Iraq rarely makes the front pages anymore, unless something big happens. Out of sight, out of mind is an old political game."

You're so right, our troops and the situation in Iraq and Kandahar get little coverage in the UK media, especially when contrasted with that which the Canadian press give their guys in Kandahar. Not much room left though I suppose once the popular press have covered ministerial misdoings, BigBruver and the Premiership.

Whether it's all part of a plan to control us or that, as a nation, we're just genetically thick I've still to discover?

Edited by 737

HOLA4411

I find it odd, to say the least, that Manchesters Museum of Science & Industry (mainly funded by Greater Manchester Council) are advertising on and thereby partially funding Aljazeera.com - which is the mouthpiece of those fighting against UK troops in the Middle east.

Crazy world!

Edited by 737

HOLA4412

I find it odd, to say the least, that Manchesters Museum of Science & Industry (mainly funded by Greater Manchester Council) are advertising on and thereby partially funding Aljazeera.com - which is the mouthpiece of those fighting against UK troops in the Middle east.

Crazy world!

Would it be okay if they advertised on a 'mouthpiece' of western imperialism?

Our troops invaded a foreign country, they deserve to be fought against. If that wasn't how it works we could have used nuns.

HOLA4413

Whether it's all part of a plan to control us or that, as a nation, we're just genetically thick I've still to discover?

As a nation, it's not that we're thick, but it seems to me that a large proportion of people in the UK are content if they can paint their kitchen their favourite colour and sit back and watch "Chef Idol", or whatever passes for entertainment these days.

200 years ago, some of the things that are happening today would be the subject of conversation of crowds of people outside churches and parish halls. However the proles at the moment, are, for the most part, content. Its interesting that the ones who are doing well from house price inflation are smug and saying "just get on with it". This will change, and believe me when it does, it will be the people like that who are shouting twice as loud over half as much when they're the ones who are being affected.

HOLA4414

As a nation, it's not that we're thick, but it seems to me that a large proportion of people in the UK are content if they can paint their kitchen their favourite colour and sit back and watch "Chef Idol", or whatever passes for entertainment these days.

200 years ago, some of the things that are happening today would be the subject of conversation of crowds of people outside churches and parish halls. However the proles at the moment, are, for the most part, content. Its interesting that the ones who are doing well from house price inflation are smug and saying "just get on with it". This will change, and believe me when it does, it will be the people like that who are shouting twice as loud over half as much when they're the ones who are being affected.

I don't believe we have much of a choice!

Plenty of people are interested, but a lot of the BBC output is in line with government wishes - the funding mechanism with dozens of BBC channels excludes consumer choice, so its unfair to blame the general population for what is inflicted on them.

I have been following John Snow in Iran which is heavly censured by the Iranians, and there is even programming on the total collapse of Russia next week, so there is some programming on these geopolitical issues which affect us all.

HOLA4415

Would it be okay if they advertised on a 'mouthpiece' of western imperialism?

Our troops invaded a foreign country, they deserve to be fought against. If that wasn't how it works we could have used nuns.

"Our troops invaded a foreign country, they deserve to be fought against"

I find your reply obnoxious as, I suspect, would the majority of ratepayers in Greater Manchester, who unknowingly funded the advert.

I presume from your words you support those 'British' people that have left the UK to fight against British troops?

HOLA4416

"Our troops invaded a foreign country, they deserve to be fought against"

I find your reply obnoxious as, I suspect, would the majority of ratepayers in Greater Manchester, who unknowingly funded the advert.

I presume from your words you support those 'British' people that have left the UK to fight against British troops?

I wouldn't get too worked up about Greater Manchester advertising on AJ. GM will buy advertising space from an internet advertising company, someone like google/doubleclick, who will then pay outside sites to place links into their servers. Adverts selected are normally keyword based, since their more likely to result in clickthrough. Of course, if all relevant banners have gone overquota, anything tends to get shuffled in particularly if few banners have been shown.

I doubt the advertisers of the florida condos who currently have a banner across the top of my page would be too happy at advertising on HPC either, but that's just how the business logic works.

If perhaps the UK's intellectual heavyweights had spent more time investigating industrial history and tourism, or related commercial sites, these banners could have been served somewhere more appropriate. Funnily enough, I have a lot of engineering colleagues from the middle east dedicated to their engineering studies in all sorts of worthwhile areas, and with delightful children who show a great deal of enthusiasm to mummy and daddy's work (when the playstation's packed away), so maybe they're serving the ads just right?

btp