House Price Crash Forum
Spoony

Henk Potts Says Febs House Price Rise Is Good News

Breakfast on Talksport about 7:20 this morning. 'Economist' Henk Potts 'from Barclays Stockbrokers' is at it again. First thing he says is great news on House Prices. They are showing a 'healthy' rise of 1.4 percent last month according to HBOS. Presenters say 'good, unless you are a first time buyer". Henk says, 'oh come on we are all homeowners here so we're quids in'.

He then went on to talk about the crash the the doomongers have been talking about hasn't happened. Then how we are in for a soft landing due to supply and demand for housing keeping prices up. Strong employment... usual VI spin.

This man should be banned from the airwaves. He makes me maaaaaddddd!

Edited by Spoony

It's times like that I think "****** it" I wish interest rates get to 10% and cause every over-indebted muppet to suffer.

Breakfast on Talksport about 7:20 this morning. 'Economist' Henk Potts 'from Barclays Stockbrokers' is at it again. First thing he says is great news on House Prices. They are showing a 'healthy' rise of 1.4 percent last month according to HBOS. Presenters say 'good, unless you are a first time buyer". Henk says, 'oh come on we are all homeowners here so we're quids in'.

He then went on to talk about the crash the the doomongers have been talking about hasn't happened. Then how we are in for a soft landing due to supply and demand for housing keeping prices up. Strong employment... usual VI spin.

I'm not at all sure that a programme called 'Talksport' is the best platform for a serious economic discussion. It's as painful as Richard Madeley discussing the pros and cons of capital punishment - it just shouldn't happen, and if it does, absolutely no credence should be given to it whatsoever.

House prices rises are no good for anyone, except those cashing in or downsizing. It is no good at all for the longterm economic health of individuals or the country as a whole - infact it's very dangerous indeed.

I have heard Henk say this quite a few times.

It's times like that I think "****** it" I wish interest rates get to 10% and cause every over-indebted muppet to suffer.

Talking of muppet, can you guess which one is Henk Potts?

_38243983_henk150.jpg

Muppet

review_muppets8_1d.jpg

Henk Potts

post-1002-1141943178.jpg

post-1002-1141943246.jpg

He sounds like a right merchant b***nker!

Perhaps the presenters had children or relatives who are potential first time buyers and can't buy.

dont understand this strong employment thing. The last project I worked on finished in December. Only 1 person out of 7 has found work since. The IT contract market is flooded and in 12 years has never been so difficult to find a contract. Spoke with an agency and they had 300-400 CVs for 1 vacancy !! Some more high profile contracts are getting 35-45 CVs whereas they normally would only receive 10. These contractors who were earning good money have had to pay 3 months mortgages payments without a wage.... hate to think what their mortgage is after earning a good wage and what the outcome will be if they dont find work soon.

'its a clients market, its picked up, but theres alot of people fighting for what comes along' :o

From a quick Google, our Henk is variously football expert, analyst and strategist. A man of many parts - how successful have his predictions on football clubs been? He does sound like a pl****er. Good to see that interviewers continue to challenge this view that rising house prices is Good News.

Edited by Bedsprings

Guest The_Oldie
'oh come on we are all homeowners here so we're quids in'.

This pretty much crystallises the attitude of the various media reporters and presenters, Henk Potts, Julia Caesar et al.

The weight of spin coming from the media is underpinned by each presenters personal situation. The majority are homeowners and don't want to derail the gravy train, so the spin is going to be relentless.

Guest The_Oldie

can you explain Henks' vested interest in the housing market other than being a homeowner.

i thought he was a stockbroker??

what VI does he have?

MH

His bonus? The whole UK economy is being propped up by HPI.

...Henk says, 'oh come on we are all homeowners here so we're quids in'.

Just like that INDEPENDENT headline at Xmas last year: 'GOOD NEWS, HOUSE PRICES UP'

It's so frustrating explaining to people that it isn't just FTBs that suffer through rampant HPI.

Anyone wishing to trade up is getting shafted, too. Yes, they'll celebrate getting 250K for a terraced house they bought for 100K but then shell out 400K for a place that would have cost 150K at the time they first invested. How does this benefit anyone exept the banks and the government via stamp duties?

:blink: