House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
No6

Oxfordshire Housing Association In Financial Trouble

I do not believe this. Charter Community Housing paid £12,000-£14,000 each and they are in financial trouble? Ok, they bought 3,680, but you try finding a house for less than 140 grand in Oxfordshire.

"THE housing association that bought Cherwell's 3,680 council homes for £12,000-£14,000 each two years ago has hit a financial crisis. The chief executive and financial director of Charter Community Housing (CCH) are 'on leave' and three Housing Corporation experts have been sent in to solve its problems."

It goes on in almost comical fashion.

"Housing Corporation spokesman Naomi Evans said: "The corporation has placed Charter Community Housing under supervision because of concerns about its governance and business planning."

And there's more.

"Cllr Pat Cartledge (Lab, Ruscote) said: "We keep getting told how brilliant they've been. Now I'm flabbergasted. These people were meant to be the 'experts'.

"My concern at the time of the housing sell-off was that this might happen. Social housing should be in the control of the local authority. There were other options.

"But instead we were told to flog the homes for £40 million. I hope tenants won't suffer. I shall be looking to see if promises are kept."

http://www.banburyguardian.co.uk/ViewArtic...ticleID=1379630

Well, they may be sitting on huge assets, but as a social housing provider they cannot release it

As a landlord to over 3000 properties they are responsible for a lot of maintenance

Ironicly it makes sense....

Well, they may be sitting on huge assets, but as a social housing provider they cannot release it

As a landlord to over 3000 properties they are responsible for a lot of maintenance

Ironicly it makes sense....

Surely the tenants could buy their house from the housing association, or part buy/part rent, just as Council tenants did in the past? Don't know what the arrangement was in this case when the Council sold off it's affordable housing stock, but you can bet your life the tenants won't be offered the properties at 12-14 grand each.

http://www.housingcorp.gov.uk/server/show/nav.549

Guest X-QUORK

Very interesting...are you from the Banbury area No6? First time I've met a local on here.

Very interesting...are you from the Banbury area No6? First time I've met a local on here.

No, not Banbury, but for my sins I work in Oxfordshire. I know many people who work in Oxford, but don't live there. Don't think they can afford to. Either that or they bought outside of Oxford, normally further North and spend hours every day on the motorway to get to work, slowly putting themselves into an early grave so they can afford to pay a mortgage.