House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gruffydd

Tory Party Teams Up With Kirsty Allsopp

Kirsty just wants to boost HPI by ridding the market of the upcoming HIPS. I read today in the Law Society's Gazette (Solicitors trade paper) that 80% of solicitors are clueless about how they are going to work in practice.

KIrsty has everything riding on HPI, her whole reputation is built on fulfilling the dreams of BTLers and move ups that house prices do not crash.

Mrs Spelman's initiative was backed by Kirsty Allsopp, presenter of The Channel 4 Location, Location, Location programme, who also spoke out against the Home Information Packs.
She said: "
We need first time buyers to keep the housing market buoyant, and we need the housing market to be doing well to keep the economy healthy
. The problem with these sellers' packs is that first time buyers in particular will be seriously affected. They're the ones most likely to nervous about this huge financial commitment, and lack confidence in the survey. They'll have to end up getting their own valuation done, as the Council of Mortgage Lenders have even said they won't accept the survey in the sellers' pact. Conservatives are right to oppose these packs - they will only end up creating more regulation and c
ost
."

Kirsty wants HIPS out to keep the house market "healthy" this means going up.

HIPS will not happen. It's spin and has been spoken of for generations.

anyhow

She (her / it) said: "We need first time buyers to keep the housing market buoyant, and we need the housing market to be doing well to keep the economy healthy.

Tough 'cos we aint listening.

The V.I.'s will have to beg and even then they're up the creek. FTB's are not as ill-informed as they have been in the past.

And yes your right without us your in a spot - a HPC kinda spot.

Edited by music man

I suppose they've got no choise than to spout this crap. There hardly going to advance their cause by arguing for a house price crash given their history!

It will have happend by the time they get back in anyhow.

When Krusty Allsopp says

"I am going to help First time buyers"

She is like a Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

:ph34r:

Agreed. There is only one way to help first time buyers, and that is for the real prices of property to fall. Anything else is to the detriment of first time buyers and to the advantage of present home-owners.

Billy Shears

The political gymnastics of the Tories and Ms Allsopp are unbelievable.

First time buyers are having enormous problems buying. The problems (according to them) are planning law, HIPS, not enough shared ownership schemes or exotic borrowing schemes, not enough suburban regeneration, not enough car spaces or gardens etc. etc.

i.e. according to Mrs Spelman and Ms Allsopp the problem is ANYTHING BUT THE HIGH PRICES, just don't touch the high prices, that's the one taboo subject.

Somehow I don't think the Tories will get any votes this way, except perhaps from rich owner occupiers and BTL landlords. Most of whom are probably Tory anyway.

frugalista

The "National Association of Estate Agents highlighting a serious level of public concern about the officially entitled Home Information Packs."

Hmmm.. Which? did a survey and shown 80% of consumers are fore HIPS.

I seriously can't see the problem with HIPs.

Anyway, I have emailed Caroline to ask a few questions.

Guest muttley

I don't follow Kirstie's logic regarding FTBs an HIPs.

Mrs Spelman's initiative was backed by Kirsty Allsopp, presenter of The Channel 4 Location, Location, Location programme, who also spoke out against the Home Information Packs.

She said: "We need first time buyers to keep the housing market buoyant, and we need the housing market to be doing well to keep the economy healthy. The problem with these sellers' packs is that first time buyers in particular will be seriously affected. They're the ones most likely to nervous about this huge financial commitment, and lack confidence in the survey. They'll have to end up getting their own valuation done, as the Council of Mortgage Lenders have even said they won't accept the survey in the sellers' pact. Conservatives are right to oppose these packs - they will only end up creating more regulation and cost."

Don't they have to get their own survey done now?

I would have thought that one way to make FTBs less nervous about a huge financial commitment is to let it become less huge.

The Tories teaming up with Krusty eh? You know what it doesn't surprise me at all, true colours and all that.

Yes I think that if the Tories do come into power then they'll be worrying about the HPC rather than HPI, but don't expect them to really do anything to prevent HPI happening again. Keep in mind that the core Tory voters are the blue rinse brigade (i.e. older people) who may well see their home or 2nd home as a retirement nest-egg. Somehow I don't see them voting for a party that will keep the value of their house down, especially when they remember how much it was worth before the crash - greed is a powerful force - and a politcal party that alienates it's core vote is asking for trouble.

Me I'll be voting LibDem as there is a faint hope they might just do something about HPI.

Either that or communist, come the revolution, BTL'ers, flippers and "developers" will be the first in front of the firing squad. :P;)

Looks like the answer to the housing problem with BOTH labour and conservative is KEEP PRICES HIGH and SHARE THE REST AND PAY RENTS!!!

Thats not a solution!!!

Drop the prices in line with the economy!

Shared ownership is a bigger scam than ENDOWMENT!!!

TB

It concerns me that poor Kirsty doesn't seem to have a second brain cell to rub against the one she's borrowed from her mate Phil.

She said: "We need first time buyers to keep the housing market buoyant, and we need the housing market to be doing well to keep the economy healthy.

These two requirements simply don't go together when the FTB has been priced out by the inflation of everyone's favorite asset bubble, the housing market. Perhaps the tories will give her a job as Housing Minister if they get in, or Chancellor. She couldn't do much worse than that nice Mr Brown. The economic understanding of both is so similar that if Kirsty became Chancellor you would only be able to tell them apart by remembering that Brown was the good looking one.

What? Tony and Cherie are Tories? :o

Yeah. Didn't you know.

I really feel like this is a "so what?" string. I mean, did anyone really believe that the Tories would be better social justice makers than New Labour? Really?? I know their are a lot of tories on here who like the big up the unknown, but fact is, Tories were build on the ruling class, follow by the business middle class. History doesn't change that much. It just repeats due to short memory. I like David Cameron. He is an alright guy who has learned something of social justice through his own family circumstances. But the Tories have NEVER had the interests of the poor or "paid but not a lot" at heart even in opposition - so they don't even do sympathetic tokenism well :blink: (although I have to say they did a favour to the miners getting them out of those underground respiratory early death traps ;) ).

EDIT:

And anyway, according to the conservatives its all the fault of the home information pack:

Signalling that Conservatives will vote against the regulations introducing the "expensive and bureaucratic" packs when they are laid before Parliament, she said the Party's aim was to remove barriers blocking access to home ownership. "Labour's new Home Information Packs will add up to £1,000 to the cost of selling a home, according to the National Association of Estate Agents, without providing satisfactory assurances to buyers. First-time buyers are likely to be most seriously affected; lacking confidence in the housing market and a firm financial footing, they are more likely to want their own valuation in addition to the pack. We are calling on the Government to halt the introduction of this new roadblock to ownership, and we will be voting against the forthcoming secondary legislation in Parliament."

1K extra? I think the problem was here way before the pack was introduced. As I said, they don't even do sympathetic tokenism well!

Edited by Elizabeth

Dear god, this country is so screwed.

"So Sir, would you like to be impaled with this axe or shot with this fine antique rifle? The choice is obvious I would have thought. Don't fret there Sir, with Libdems you'd also be buggered!"

:(

Well as a previous poster said, the tories can't really go down the house prices need to crash route after the past history..

Anyway with any luck, Labour will have done the negative equity for them just before they lose the election due to that and Gordon Browns great economy which will unravel to be the biggest illusion in history as it crashes and burns.

I was quite a Con supporter while Michael Howard was leader. I think Cameron is a Blair clone. Now I have nobody left to vote for.

Edited by Spoony

She said: "
We need first time buyers to keep the housing market buoyant, and we need the housing market to be doing well to keep the economy healthy
Kirsty wants HIPS out to keep the house market "healthy" this means going up.
Is what Kirsty is saying a small variation on "First time buyers, pplleeaassee buy me house"?
Billy Shears

Judging by the quotes it seems more like Krusty getting into bed with the Tories in

order to lobby for her own interests.

Unfortunately having that 'nice lady from the property telly shows' on side may

turn out to be the kiss of death as negatvie equity and repossesions begin to rise.

ABB

Sums up NuCon a treat. A worse form of NuLab by the look of things.

A commonplace HPC problem. It's not Bliar or NuLab you don't like, although you don't. It's democracy and the consequent fudged outcomes that counter your simplified world view that is frustrating.

So I say: instead of moaning and using cliches and trite slogans, come up with policy alternatives. The best posts on HPC do this, but many don't.

A commonplace HPC problem. It's not Bliar or NuLab you don't like, although you don't. It's democracy and the consequent fudged outcomes that counter your simplified world view that is frustrating.

To be fair BTB you also have a narrow view, you work in an highly subsidised industry that would be bankrupt without state handouts.

Pi$$ off you patronising twit!

Come up with policy alternatives? Why would I need to do that? I'm not one that seeks public office and has promised the nation a better existence.

Quite simple, I have one critical policy, the reformation of the antiquated planning laws that currently only reflect the outlook of a few whining nimbies.

The overwhelming evidence tends to suggest that, half the time, it's not the fault of the policies; rather, it's the glaring incompetence and corruption of the tax abusers that are paid to implement them.

In terms of planning you're right, the 1947 act never stated "you can't build here, ever", it simply wanted development to be coordinated and well planned rather than haphazard. As it turned out those temporary boundaries stopped moving out sometime in the 70's and areas beyond have become de facto out of bounds.