House Price Crash Forum
dogbox

Ive Found Some Ways Of Investing Indirectly In Berlin

See www.moneyweek.com/file/3082/german-property.html

In particular investing in shares of 'Speymill Group' listed on AIM.

Here's another resource; www.assetz.co.uk - brand new division focused on helping UK people invest in Germany, esp Berlin.

Berlin will Im sure be just about the best investment on Planet Earth over next 5 years.

Also found this German property company, very conservative almost no borrowings - ownes city centre land and retail property'. Ive read independant reports by credit risk analyists who specifically point to the ultra low risk of this company compared to other companies:

'HAMBORNER AG'. Can buy shares via stockbrokers such as Brewin Dolphin. Price in Euros hovering around e28.

If the German market takes - off from the current level of 1975 prices we might see spectaculor capital gain.

Note that the general consensus is the German mortgage market will soon liberalise as happened in the UK in the 1970s. This means instead of 30% deposit, 5% or even 0% deposit mortgages will at last become available.

Edited by dogbox

Guest muttley

If you just want to invest in the German economy rather than the property market, then there are several good German growth bonds.They have done particularly well this year.

Hi Dogbox

I think I read on another thread that you bought some land in Berlin.

Did you get financing for this? If so, how did you manage it if you dont mind me asking? (as far as I can see its nigh impossible to get finance).

And if you wanted to buy a decent plot of land in a reasonable spot, what would you say is the minimum you should expect to pay?

Thanks for any advice and help you can give.

If you just want to invest in the German economy rather than the property market, then there are several good German growth bonds.They have done particularly well this year.

Would you care to name any?

Hi Dogbox

I think I read on another thread that you bought some land in Berlin.

Did you get financing for this? If so, how did you manage it if you dont mind me asking? (as far as I can see its nigh impossible to get finance).

And if you wanted to buy a decent plot of land in a reasonable spot, what would you say is the minimum you should expect to pay?

Thanks for any advice and help you can give.

I used cash - 92000 euros plus 10% costs. There was a plot I pulled out of under 60000 euros. The price I paid is a little under the norm for a plot capable of having a small block of appartments built upon it. No rent so no yield but I am of the opinion my capital growth will far outstrip any loss of rent (had I bought an appartment instead).

If you want to raise finance I think Tallin in Estonia is your best bet. They are aiming to become the high - tech heart of Europe andd there is every reason to beleive this will happen (think silicon valley prices in 10 years).

I used cash - 92000 euros plus 10% costs. There was a plot I pulled out of under 60000 euros. The price I paid is a little under the norm for a plot capable of having a small block of appartments built upon it. No rent so no yield but I am of the opinion my capital growth will far outstrip any loss of rent (had I bought an appartment instead).

If you want to raise finance I think Tallin in Estonia is your best bet. They are aiming to become the high - tech heart of Europe andd there is every reason to beleive this will happen (think silicon valley prices in 10 years).

Hi Dogbox

Thanks for that.

I feel a bit p*ssed off with myself. I went blindly into making 3 off apartment purchases in Bulgaria a year ago thinking that would make me easy money, but as these are now nearing completion, I am sceptical of making any money on them or even getting my money back!

I want to keep one of the apartments in Bulgaria though, as it will make an excellent holiday home. I just need to try and find a way of selling at least one of the others to allow me to free up some of my cash to allow me to buy in Germany. I don't know how easy this is going to be though!

I dont want to make any more mistakes if I invest in Germany. I am still not totally convinced that Berlin is the place to invest. Depopulation is a key problem, and large amount of people are moving southwards, so I am thinking this may be where to invest. But here property prices are significantly higher.

When they say Germany's property prices have been static for many years, is this is case for the whole of the country? Or is it just the net result of property prices falling dramatically in the East, but rising in the south?

Where you would invest in Germany other than Berlin?

Guest muttley

Would you care to name any?

I bought Barings German Growth Bond six months ago. Up 21% to date!!

I'm not suggesting you should. :ph34r:

Hi Dogbox

Thanks for that.

I feel a bit p*ssed off with myself. I went blindly into making 3 off apartment purchases in Bulgaria a year ago thinking that would make me easy money, but as these are now nearing completion, I am sceptical of making any money on them or even getting my money back!

I want to keep one of the apartments in Bulgaria though, as it will make an excellent holiday home. I just need to try and find a way of selling at least one of the others to allow me to free up some of my cash to allow me to buy in Germany. I don't know how easy this is going to be though!

I dont want to make any more mistakes if I invest in Germany. I am still not totally convinced that Berlin is the place to invest. Depopulation is a key problem, and large amount of people are moving southwards, so I am thinking this may be where to invest. But here property prices are significantly higher.

When they say Germany's property prices have been static for many years, is this is case for the whole of the country? Or is it just the net result of property prices falling dramatically in the East, but rising in the south?

Where you would invest in Germany other than Berlin?

Im sticking with Berlin. I recall many a person saying Glasgow, Leeds, Manchester etc were suffering de - population. Berlin is drawing shed - loads of UK and Yank cash. Remember its the capital of the worlds 3rd biggest economy - I have total faith B)

I saw on 17/03/2006 another German property fund was released in London (Puma Brandenburg Fund) but was massiveky oversubscribed. All such funds keep being oversubscribed - a telling sign of sentiment to come.

I want a fund to invest in myself but cant find a suitable one. Speymill gives me qa bad gut - feeling, Im not sure why though.

I think I will next buy a cheap appartment for around e70000 or some land Ive veiwed with outline permission for 6 - 9 appartments at 50000, or anything else that takes my fancy. Im even looking into some commercial property.

One thing I will say is Ive never guessed wrong. I looked at Montenegro over 3 years ago (but bolled out), today I read its tipped as the number one tourist growth nation IN THE WORLD. Old news though. The news now is Germany or Estonia.

I want a fund to invest in myself but cant find a suitable one. Speymill gives me qa bad gut - feeling, Im not sure why though.

Ive also been looking into Speymill Deutsche Immobilien. It does make much more sense to invest into a fund than manage property yourself. I cant see any benefit to owning my own property in Berlin and having the extra hassle, when experts on the gorund can do it for me. I also dont see how I could spot a growth area or find a bargain as well as they could.

Dogbox - what have you heard that puts you off Speymill? Ive looked up their top shareholders, can all these funds be wrong?

RMB International (Dublin) Ltd 20,000,000

Artemis Fund Managers Ltd 17,000,000

Investec Asset Management 12,500,000

SR Global Fund LP 10,595,000

GLG Partners LP 10,000,000

Standard Life Investments 10,000,000

Goldman Sachs Asset Mgmt 10,000,000

New Star Asset Mgmt 7,500,000

M&G Inv Mgmt Ltd 6,000,000

It would be nice if they had a website.

Roshan

Ive also been looking into Speymill Deutsche Immobilien. It does make much more sense to invest into a fund than manage property yourself. I cant see any benefit to owning my own property in Berlin and having the extra hassle, when experts on the gorund can do it for me. I also dont see how I could spot a growth area or find a bargain as well as they could.

Dogbox - what have you heard that puts you off Speymill? Ive looked up their top shareholders, can all these funds be wrong?

RMB International (Dublin) Ltd 20,000,000

Artemis Fund Managers Ltd 17,000,000

Investec Asset Management 12,500,000

SR Global Fund LP 10,595,000

GLG Partners LP 10,000,000

Standard Life Investments 10,000,000

Goldman Sachs Asset Mgmt 10,000,000

New Star Asset Mgmt 7,500,000

M&G Inv Mgmt Ltd 6,000,000

It would be nice if they had a website.

Roshan

Nice work.

You know, I often read all the glossy sales bumf the funds send out such as Artemis. They bang on about thier unique investing methods. Looks to me like they find small niche players such as Speymil and simply buy a bucket load, then take a big slice of the porceeds. Ive long suspected this which is why I try where possible to avoid big name fund mangers and instead seek the 'unknown' investment entities such as Speymill.

Another UK small unknown entity quietly buying in Germany is 'Dawnay Day Treveria plc'. This one tokk a lot of digging. They have recently aquired German shopping centres.

Ive been busy with Morocco, but if I have anything left I might chuck some into each of these.

Like u say, direct investing is hard work if Im honest!

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...hp?showforum=45

This might answer some of the questions (hope the link works correctly )

Hi dogbox

You stand out in a world of pessimists ( on this site ) but that is to be expected.

Yes, a whole bunch of fund managers could well be wrong!

How much debt are you carrying? A rude question I know but an interesting one .

Best wishes for a happy and prosperous future.

Picnic

still seeing 20% gains in parts of Paris but the slowdown is coming.

The Daddy Of all H P C Psychology Articles

Thanks to Andrew Farlow

Aquicker link sorry.

The gist of the article is let the buyer beware depending upon which stage of a speculative cycle you think we are at.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...hp?showforum=45

This might answer some of the questions (hope the link works correctly )

Hi dogbox

You stand out in a world of pessimists ( on this site ) but that is to be expected.

Yes, a whole bunch of fund managers could well be wrong!

How much debt are you carrying? A rude question I know but an interesting one .

Best wishes for a happy and prosperous future.

Picnic

still seeing 20% gains in parts of Paris but the slowdown is coming.

The Daddy Of all H P C Psychology Articles

Thanks to Andrew Farlow

Aquicker link sorry.

The gist of the article is let the buyer beware depending upon which stage of a speculative cycle you think we are at.

Picnic, Im fairly pessimistic on a lot of investments. For example I battle with 'Dubai heads' on www.holidaytruths.co.uk.

You ask about gearing. I have a large IO mortgage on main residence. Have a small mortgage against business premises. I aim to start paying down my mortgages (at last) from next year and will throw a lot of cash at it.

I also put away a lot each month into Unit Trusts and equities.

Part of me says I ought to be more focused on paying down the mortgage and playing it safe and steady, but I find this approach a cop - out personally.

Basic plan is to invest heavily and worry about paying down mortgage once all investments in place.

My motivation stems from a desire not to miss - out, that is not too spend say 8 years paying down the mortgage and then finding a lot of lucrative investments have passed me by. I also see foreign property speculation as a rapidly expanding trend so I didnt want to miss the boat. In 10 years it will be largely overdone and less unique opportunities will present themselves perhaps.

Im still young enough to have the stomatch for risk taking. If I postpone it I may never do it!