House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
non-FTBer

Ignorance Is Bliss.

Would you be happier if you were a sheeple and did not know/care about an HPC and just got on with your life?

Would you still expect to be happier in 5 years time?

I see a lot of people happy on the effects of credit binges. They have nice cars, and IO mortgage on a big house, all the latest gadgets and a big plasma TV..... they seem to be fairly content now.

Would you be happier if you were a sheeple and did not know/care about an HPC and just got on with your life?

I see a lot of people happy on the effects of credit binges. They have nice cars, and IO mortgage on a big house, all the latest gadgets and a big plasma TV..... they seem to be fairly content now.

Yep - the happy simpleton is almost a proverb, contented intellectuals are much rarer.

Their contentment level will reduce steadily over the coming years as their repayments will continue to consume a large percentage of their income. They will feel increasingly trapped by their debt as they are unable to move up the 'ladder' and unable to afford new toys.

I will spend all my leisure time visiting people saying things like "I told you so", and "Do you remember in 2005 when you thought I was a nutter about debt and houseprices?". In return they will say, "Ah yes RT - how right you were. If only we'd listened to you." Oh yes - I will be such a popular dinner guest.

I often ponder this. Whilst I fret over the world I cant help noticing the blissful ignorant have a happier time, and you know what they say 'happier people live longer'.

How unfair.

I often ponder this. Whilst I fret over the world I cant help noticing the blissful ignorant have a happier time, and you know what they say 'happier people live longer'.

How unfair.

Gormless long living idiots, it just tears you up inside don't it.

My car has been making a knocking noise so I have it in my local garage today being looked at. My local mechanic is a lovely chap and he, talking about cars generally, was saying that he is amazed how many of his customers who used to run old bangers are now turning up with very expensive cars.

He said he had no idea where they suddenly got the money from but expects it all to be down to taking on large amounts of debt. He said it was amazing how so many people had suddenly decided to spend such money on cars at the same time.

Would I like to be one of those sheeple? Hmm, yes and no. I probably would have a much happier materialistic lifestyle but, the way I was brought up, I know I could not sleep at nights. Unfortunatley, we now live in such a materialistic Society that it is very hard to find that all important 'thing' - a Partner - without the modernised house, the expensive car, the expensive holidays. I do often wonder if the sheeple are happier and no doubt some will go through life, even with this level of debt, without a care in the World and probably have no problems - like water off duck's back!

(Btw, he bought his wife a Merc A Class from a Merc dealer and it needed a service which, as it would protect the waranty, he took it back to the dealer to look at - £400 for one hour's work - and he said they did not even remove the tyres to check the brakes. The car is now up for sale.)

My car has been making a knocking noise so I have it in my local garage today being looked at. My local mechanic is a lovely chap and he, talking about cars generally, was saying that he is amazed how many of his customers who used to run old bangers are now turning up with very expensive cars.

He said he had no idea where they suddenly got the money from but expects it all to be down to taking on large amounts of debt. He said it was amazing how so many people had suddenly decided to spend such money on cars at the same time.

Would I like to be one of those sheeple? Hmm, yes and no. I probably would have a much happier materialistic lifestyle but, the way I was brought up, I know I could not sleep at nights. Unfortunatley, we now live in such a materialistic Society that it is very hard to find that all important 'thing' - a Partner - without the modernised house, the expensive car, the expensive holidays. I do often wonder if the sheeple are happier and no doubt some will go through life, even with this level of debt, without a care in the World and probably have no problems - like water off duck's back!

(Btw, he bought his wife a Merc A Class from a Merc dealer and it needed a service which, as it would protect the waranty, he took it back to the dealer to look at - £400 for one hour's work - and he said they did not even remove the tyres to check the brakes. The car is now up for sale.)

Did you discuss the recent fall in new car sales? Or was it all anecdotes & the likes?

TTRTR - I thought that's what landlords were for.

:lol::lol: I like it.....

And therapists are for dealing with a mid-life crisis......

:lol::lol:

Happy.. perhaps..

bike magazine was telling you how to buy a new shiny motorcycle..

It offered advice on store credit, IO credit cards and low cost loans.

It mentioned Mewing, saying that borrowing against an appreciating asset to purchase a depreciating asset and then pay for it over 25 years would be madness.

appreciating asset? well I guess that is fair enough, they are not economists..

but it was nice to see some sense..

Although not one mentions was made about saving up and then buying

Did you discuss the recent fall in new car sales? Or was it all anecdotes & the likes?

Anecdotal. Seems people are buying the new cars, or buying secondhand ones that still cost a small fortune, and then discover they cannot pay the dealership servicing costs so are coming to him.

Anecdotal. Seems people are buying the new cars, or buying secondhand ones that still cost a small fortune, and then discover they cannot pay the dealership servicing costs so are coming to him.

You take a chance either way. With a main dealer, they do a real service & check-up, hoping to sell you bits you might or might not need, but at a price. A local mechanic doesn't specialize in your model, so he can't always diagnose faults correctly.

My wife's Volvo was recently serviced at Volvo. It had a strange vibration that no mechanic seemed to understand. But Volvo diagnosed it in the service and all we had to pay for was the part & they did it for half price because it was a known fault, but past warranty. So we won on that occasion.

for a car's 3 year warranty to remain valid you used to be forced to use the expensive franchised dealer for servicing.....but contrary to popular belief this no longer applies and any VAT registered (all but the very smallest) garage will suffice!

I believe the old insistence on the franchised dealer is now unlawful............

You take a chance either way. With a main dealer, they do a real service & check-up, hoping to sell you bits you might or might not need, but at a price. A local mechanic doesn't specialize in your model, so he can't always diagnose faults correctly.

My wife's Volvo was recently serviced at Volvo. It had a strange vibration that no mechanic seemed to understand. But Volvo diagnosed it in the service and all we had to pay for was the part & they did it for half price because it was a known fault, but past warranty. So we won on that occasion.

Well you can be lucky to find a conscietious main dealer but there aren't many. In my experience it's more that main dealers charge a fortune for sevicing done by the lowest paid and least skilled apprenctice in the garage. I'd rather have a small, independent garage of longstanding and good reputation who depend on regular customers and word of mouth recemmendations.

Getting back to the original topic. I have many times had the discussion about whether ignorance is bliss, and have come to the conclusion that it isn't, and for the following reasons.

If you happily bumble through life then everything that happens to you during your life is unexpected. I know several people like this. They are the sort of people who do things without thinking of the consequencies and then seem genuinely shocked when the inevitable happens.

They are often life's victims, they discribe themselves as "unlucky", they have no power over their own destiny.

However when applying this to money management, the fact that we don't teach people about economics at school raises the question of personal responsibiliy again. When the bank manager and programmes on channel 4 are telling you to "Unlock the value of your home", and you do, who is the ignorant one?

Edited by Bear Goggles

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~Bertrand Russell

Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power. ~P.J. O'Rourke

If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people? ~Author Unknown

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. ~Albert Einstein

I'd be happy if I could afford to buy a house today and know in my heart that whatever happened to interest rates and utility bills I'd still be able to afford my mortgage repayments. If I were that well off I'd buy a house right now because I need one. I wouldn't care if it was likely to lose 40% of its value because, to me, it's somewhere to live, not an investment vehicle. The reason I'm not on the ladder is not through stubbornness or beligerance, it's because the only way I could get onto the ladder right now would be to take a risk with virtually inevitable consequences.

No. My gf came back from a course on counselling skills yesterday, one of the themes was the growing incidence of mental illness and domestic violence, both, you guessed it linked to rising levels of financial distress, the BBC migt not report is as such but the councillors at the coal face are seeing the effect of debt on people.

Ignorant they maybe........ Blissful they are not.