House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sam

What Pain Could Iran Cause?

Is Iran talking about economic pain or something else, surely they can be talking about hurting them in a military sence.

With oil pegged to the Dollar i am wondering if they are talking about hurting the U.S in their pockets, any thoughts.

Sam

Bubb - please explain for the "mentally challenged" among us.....

The title of the thread and your comments have made me a little unneasy...

:o

After watching the 10 O'Clock news last night, I'm convinced they're 'prepping' the world for an invasion of Iran. I cant remember the number of times 'military action' was mentioned, some of it against, some of it 'possible'. All for their massive Oil and Gas stocks.

Its Iraq all over again. Its going to be messy.

After watching the 10 O'Clock news last night, I'm convinced they're 'prepping' the world for an invasion of Iran. I cant remember the number of times 'military action' was mentioned, some of it against, some of it 'possible'. All for their massive Oil and Gas stocks.

I was not really refering to the possible invasion of Iran, last night i was watching one of the Iranian spokesman saying that if the U.S wanted to cause pain to Iran, Iran could do the same back, it was up to them if they wanted to get the ball rolling.

I do not see Iran in the same way i see Iraq, Iranians are far more educated and are not led by the type of muppets that once controlled Iraq.

Sam

Is Iran talking about economic pain or something else, surely they can be talking about hurting them in a military sence.

With oil pegged to the Dollar i am wondering if they are talking about hurting the U.S in their pockets, any thoughts.

Sam

... along with:

Stoping oil exports to US/West

Oil blockade of Gulf

Attacks on Israel using Hamas as a proxy

More trouble in southern Iraq, where Iran is already meddling

and terrorism, esp the favourite weapon of crazy islamists - sponsored suicide bombings in Europe/West

Weird isn't it.

Have you noticed that channel4 news have been live from Tehran all week.

Jon Snow live from Iran.

Heard some weird comments from some of the newscasters that worried me, even had to rewind it and check that I heard right. One of the presenters used the words (or something similar) "possible military action"... and it was totally out of context as nobody was talking about it at the time, and AFAIK it hasn't yet been officialy put on the cards yet.

Got me thinking we might be being buttered up for possible aggro. :ph34r::ph34r:

... and are not led by the type of muppets that once controlled Iraq.

:huh::huh:

No, theyr'e led by insane islamist nazis, who want to destroy parts of the Middle East and start WW3

Guest Guy_Montag

I have no doubt Iran could cause America pain in Iraq, there have been stories & rumours that the Iranians are "meddling in Iraq" (wtf are we & the US doing then), but at the same time the US is begging Iran for help.

I suspect Iran could make things much hotter for us & the yanks if they wanted.

Then there's oil. Just turn off the taps for a month or two.

I think that the plan was always to take control of all of the oil, invading Iran was always going to be the next step. It always starts with increased news reports & demonisation of the evil enemy to get the public behind it.

It really is just like living in Nazi Germany. Start to really worry when TB will grows a silly little moustache.

Mind you if things get really bad, we do have our ultimate secret weapon

A massive air drop of offensive cartoons on Tehran :lol::lol:

It is not just America - it is the West, it is the World, it is us.

Iran cutting off the oil supplies would see oil prices rocket and a huge result in inflation overnight.

Sadly, I think a military confrontation is now unavoiadable and that many people will die in the coming 12 - 18 months as a result. It will probably be sooner than later IMPO.

Perhaps a tad strong – don’t you think?

Perhaps the word 'insane' is a little strong as for the rest, you cant really argue.

There is a very close resemblence between the Iranian islamist theocracy and nazism. Ahmadinejad has stated he wants to 'wipe Israel off the map' and radical islam has aims to start a Middle East war to re-establish the Caliphate

Bubble Pop Electric says its like Nazi Germany - I agree. This Iranian situation has echoes of the build up of Nazi Gemany in 30's and we cant afford appeasment this time. However 'difficult' action against Iran may be, having a radical Muslim theocracy in possession of nuclear weapons is unthinkable.

Wake up and smell the coffee!

Perhaps the word 'insane' is a little strong as for the rest, you cant really argue.

There is a very close resemblence between the Iranian islamist theocracy and nazism. Ahmadinejad has stated he wants to 'wipe Israel off the map' and radical islam has aims to start a Middle East war to re-establish the Caliphate

Bubble Pop Electric says its like Nazi Germany - I agree. This Iranian situation has echoes of the build up of Nazi Gemany in 30's and we cant afford appeasment this time. However 'difficult' action against Iran may be, having a radical Muslim theocracy in possession of nuclear weapons is unthinkable.

I've had my coffee and I still don't agree. There are plenty of worse regimes around the world than Iran and we do business with most of them.

This is about oil; the hypocrisy of the sanctimonious US executive is sickening.

I wasn’t necessary disagreeing with you – just perhaps you should have said

In my opinion theyr'e led by insane islamist nazis, who want to destroy parts of the Middle East and start WW3

Personally I don’t think the world would miss them if they were all to disappear – the question is where to stop

Change the name of a few characters, countries and religion and we have America in full gusto.

I've had my coffee and I still don't agree. There are plenty of worse regimes around the world than Iran and we do business with most of them.

This is about oil; the hypocrisy of the sanctimonious US executive is sickening.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/03/05/news/iran.php

Its all to do with Iran wanting to sell oil in Euros. Any claims of immediate danger from Irans nuclear program is a lie, like Iraq and WMD, there is plenty more time for 'jaw-jaw'. Iraq started selling oil in Euros shortly before the US/UK invasion. Coincidence?

It really is just like living in Nazi Germany. Start to really worry when TB will grows a silly little moustache.

Pure Class, wonderfull wit :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yes, it IS about oil and it is about some pretty dangerous people having nuclear bombs. Whenever I hear people who have never gone hungry, who have never gone cold say "it is about oil" I have to ask them what they would want our World leaders to do if they themselves had not eaten in a month, were freezing in a bleak cold British winter?

The Robert Redford film, 'Three Days Of The Condor', from the 1970s is pretty spot on. You only need to watch the last 10 minutes when Redford's idealistic CIA analyst is told, in blunt terms, that it is about oil and that if people in the West were hungry, cold and living without all the things that oil provides for our Society then they would be screaming at the leaders to send troops in to get the oil.

Unlike Iraq, there is unlikely to be any invasion/toppling (just air strikes and lots of them) except by proxy via the Iranian Kurds, Azeris and Khuzestani Arabs. Unlike Iraq, there is arguably a much more genuine and greater threat to justify any action.

... along with:

Stoping oil exports to US/West

Oil blockade of Gulf

Attacks on Israel using Hamas as a proxy

More trouble in southern Iraq, where Iran is already meddling

and terrorism, esp the favourite weapon of crazy islamists - sponsored suicide bombings in Europe/West

Attacks on Israel will use Hizbollah and its thousands of missiles currently aimed at Haifa, not Hamas, a Sunni group that does not want to be too closely associated with Iran, except to take its money. Iran will also use its navy to block off the Northern Gulf from the Straits of Hormuz upwards.

Yes, it IS about oil and it is about some pretty dangerous people having nuclear bombs. Whenever I hear people who have never gone hungry, who have never gone cold say "it is about oil" I have to ask them what they would want our World leaders to do if they themselves had not eaten in a month, were freezing in a bleak cold British winter?

The Robert Redford film, 'Three Days Of The Condor', from the 1970s is pretty spot on. You only need to watch the last 10 minutes when Redford's idealistic CIA analyst is told, in blunt terms, that it is about oil and that if people in the West were hungry, cold and living without all the things that oil provides for our Society then they would be screaming at the leaders to send troops in to get the oil.

No. Its not about oil per se. Its about USD as the default currency of oil trading. All the sabre rattling over Iran is due to the opening of the Tehran Bourse, selling oil in Euros.

I agree about there being no invasion. It'll be through airstrikes.

Having said that, I think the whole thing is going to blow over. The Iranians are, I believe, rational players, and they know that the Americans have the capacity and the will to launch a devastating strike. Do they want to risk losing their nuclear program, their airforce and their navy in ten minutes?

However sanctions could be enough - I think the Americans are going to find it relatively easy to create a united front, because they can count on the support of Germany and France. Also, China and Russia have been relatively supportive - in other words, short of military action, the US can count on the support of the other four permanent members of the UN security council. If Iran continues to be belligerent, the US might even get support for military action. That's not a road the Iranians want to go down - in the short-term it would probably bolster the regime (as in Coventry and Dresden) but longer time it would stunt the economy, and create internal dissent.

Put another way, when it comes to the crunch, I believe Iran will back down, and there'll be some kind of face saving solution. In my opinion not a time to be long oil!

I agree about there being no invasion. It'll be through airstrikes.

Having said that, I think the whole thing is going to blow over. The Iranians are, I believe, rational players, and they know that the Americans have the capacity and the will to launch a devastating strike.

However sanctions could be enough - I think the Americans are going to find it relatively easy to create a united front, because they can count on the support of Germany and France. Also, China and Russia have been relatively supportive - in other words, short of military action, the US can count on the support of the other four permanent members of the UN security council. If Iran continues to be belligerent, the US might even get support for military action. That's not a road the Iranians want to go down - in the short-term it would probably bolster the regime (as in Coventry and Dresden) but longer time it would stunt the economy, and create internal dissent.

Put another way, when it comes to the crunch, I believe Iran will back down, and there'll be some kind of face saving solution. In my opinion not a time to be long oil!

I agree with your analysis on the common front but I really disagree that the Iranian leaders (declared and slightly more covert) are rational in their response. I do not think they will back down and it is politically expedient for Ahmadenijad et all as it unifies otherwise poor, young, unemployed Iranians who might otherwise rail against the leadership. I see military action as inevitable and actually the least worse course of action, though still bad (unless the Iranians agreed to dismantle thir programme, which they will not.)

No. Its not about oil per se. Its about USD as the default currency of oil trading. All the sabre rattling over Iran is due to the opening of the Tehran Bourse, selling oil in Euros.

So nothing to do with the scarey prospect of extreme Muslims with nukes then? ;)

Give it a few weeks and the Israelies will go and airstrike the sites. Bush will then tell the World how naughty they've been and they mustn't do it again.......and thank you very much.