House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Columbo

Finger Print Transaction Identification

I had a terrifying thought today when I heard about this.

So, it will no longer be sufficient to steal a persons credit (or debit) card.

Join the dots.

People will just chop your fingures off, like Tommy did in Minority Report with the Eye balls.

They will you know!

I saw some lads interviewed on telly some time ago who claimed to be able to do a 'James Bond' and copy fingerprints, then apply them to there own fingers. It will only be a matter of time before DIY kits are available. Shaken, not stired anybody?

What happens if you burn your 'ID finger' on the oven when you are cooking?? If that happened you would have to make the meal you are cooking last a week until your finger healed and you could use it again :)

You can fool many of them with photosensitive printed circuit board, some gelatine and a sample fingerprint.

see

"Impact of Artificial "Gummy" Fingers on Fingerprint Systems"

Tsutomu Matsumoto

Hiroyuki Matsumoto

Koji Yamada

Satoshi Hoshino

it's on google if you are really interested (it's not very interesting)

[EDIT: The appendix does say how to go about making one should you wish to]

How to make a mold

We make molds, which are made by photolithographic processes, of live fingers, and then make artificial fingers, which are

made of gelatin, with the molds.

We make molds by the following procedures.

Making a mask

(1) Press the live finger against a glass plate so as to make its residual fingerprint.

(2) Enhance this latent fingerprint with a cyanoacrylate adhesive. If you put the adhesive with the glass plate into an airtight

container, it will keep for quite a long time. Wait for a minute. The fingerprint will stand clearly outlined against the

glass plate.

(3) Capture an image of the fingerprint with a digital microscopic camera (e.g., KEYENCE; VH-6300, 900k pixels). Set the

fingerprint image right side left, and make its contrast better with an image processing software (e.g., Adobe; Photoshop

6.0).

(4) Print the fingerprint image in a transparency sheet with an inkjet printer (e.g., Canon; BJ-F800, 1200x600dpi). It can be

used for a mask.

Making a mold

(1) Prepare a photo sensitive coated PCB, and fix the mask so that its printed surface is attached on the PCB. Expose an UV

light source for 6 minutes to copy the mask to the photo resist layer of the PCB. Caution: The UV light are harmful for

your eyes and you shouldn't look it many time, or any at all.

(2) Develop the PCB to remove all the unnecessary photo resist, and expose the unnecessary copper.

(3) Etch the developed PCB to remove all the unnecessary copper, and get only the fingerprint. Finally, the mold for

artificial fingers can be obtained.

Making an artificial finger

We make artificial fingers by the following procedures.

(1) Add boiling water (30cc) to solid gelatin (24 grams) in a bottle and mix up them. Cap the bottle and wait till the mixture

forms a gel as it cools, and then melt to form a sol by heating with a microwave oven. After that, cool down to form a gel

and heat up to form a sol several times to reduce bubbles, if necessary. As a result of this procedure, a liquid in which

immersed gelatin at around 40 wt.% (a sol) will be obtained.

(2) Prepare a mold, and drip the liquid onto the mold. Remove carefully bubbles which are formed around the base of the

mold, if necessary.

(3) Put this mold into a refrigerator to cool, and wait for about ten minutes till the liquid changes back to a gel. Peel

carefully the gel (i.e., artificial finger) from the mold.

Repeat (2) and (3) to make the gummy fingers.

Not surprised to see this thread here. Was talking to my Bro on way home from pub about this and said the government will use this to store everyones prints. Then use them against people who are an interference with them. It WILL happen if this passes, and I will dump all my cards and use banks again!

What happens if you burn your 'ID finger' on the oven when you are cooking?? If that happened you would have to make the meal you are cooking last a week until your finger healed and you could use it again :)

Don’t laugh, but a friend of mine has one of those ‘Bio Metric’ equipped laptops (with fingerprint reader). Last week it completely refused to accept her finger prints and she couldn’t access any of her work. Luckily for her, her boyfriend’s data was part of the account and we were able to go in and disable/remove the feature.

I had to sort this out for them as they were leaving the country the next day (for six months). Telephone technical support people didn’t even know that the product existed.

Image what a 95% accurate Fingerprint Transaction Identification system would be like for that 5% of the time. :o

You can fool many of them with photosensitive printed circuit board, some gelatine and a sample fingerprint.

see

"Impact of Artificial "Gummy" Fingers on Fingerprint Systems"

Tsutomu Matsumoto

Hiroyuki Matsumoto

Koji Yamada

Satoshi Hoshino

it's on google if you are really interested (it's not very interesting)

[EDIT: The appendix does say how to go about making one should you wish to]

How to make a mold

We make molds, which are made by photolithographic processes, of live fingers, and then make artificial fingers, which are

made of gelatin, with the molds.

We make molds by the following procedures.

Making a mask

(1) Press the live finger against a glass plate so as to make its residual fingerprint.

(2) Enhance this latent fingerprint with a cyanoacrylate adhesive. If you put the adhesive with the glass plate into an airtight

container, it will keep for quite a long time. Wait for a minute. The fingerprint will stand clearly outlined against the

glass plate.

(3) Capture an image of the fingerprint with a digital microscopic camera (e.g., KEYENCE; VH-6300, 900k pixels). Set the

fingerprint image right side left, and make its contrast better with an image processing software (e.g., Adobe; Photoshop

6.0).

(4) Print the fingerprint image in a transparency sheet with an inkjet printer (e.g., Canon; BJ-F800, 1200x600dpi). It can be

used for a mask.

Making a mold

(1) Prepare a photo sensitive coated PCB, and fix the mask so that its printed surface is attached on the PCB. Expose an UV

light source for 6 minutes to copy the mask to the photo resist layer of the PCB. Caution: The UV light are harmful for

your eyes and you shouldn't look it many time, or any at all.

(2) Develop the PCB to remove all the unnecessary photo resist, and expose the unnecessary copper.

(3) Etch the developed PCB to remove all the unnecessary copper, and get only the fingerprint. Finally, the mold for

artificial fingers can be obtained.

Making an artificial finger

We make artificial fingers by the following procedures.

(1) Add boiling water (30cc) to solid gelatin (24 grams) in a bottle and mix up them. Cap the bottle and wait till the mixture

forms a gel as it cools, and then melt to form a sol by heating with a microwave oven. After that, cool down to form a gel

and heat up to form a sol several times to reduce bubbles, if necessary. As a result of this procedure, a liquid in which

immersed gelatin at around 40 wt.% (a sol) will be obtained.

(2) Prepare a mold, and drip the liquid onto the mold. Remove carefully bubbles which are formed around the base of the

mold, if necessary.

(3) Put this mold into a refrigerator to cool, and wait for about ten minutes till the liquid changes back to a gel. Peel

carefully the gel (i.e., artificial finger) from the mold.

Repeat (2) and (3) to make the gummy fingers.

I would like to try that, except I don't use the photo method to etch my boards :( I could try applying etch resist inkk to my finger then applying directly to board I guess.... This got me thinking now!

Hi, just thought I would contribute my two-penneth worth:

1st of all the gummi-bear trick will work on some old style biometric readers - it definitely does not work on the new generations. Secondly; new generation biometric readers will not read dead fingers and can read damaged fingerprints (ie burns, scars etc) This is because they read the print below the skins surface, looking for the "electrical" pattern of your fingerprint, not just the physical patterns.

As for wether or not they are a good idea - I don't know, make up your own minds!

Hi, just thought I would contribute my two-penneth worth:

1st of all the gummi-bear trick will work on some old style biometric readers - it definitely does not work on the new generations. Secondly; new generation biometric readers will not read dead fingers and can read damaged fingerprints (ie burns, scars etc) This is because they read the print below the skins surface, looking for the "electrical" pattern of your fingerprint, not just the physical patterns.

As for wether or not they are a good idea - I don't know, make up your own minds!

I found out about the gummi fingers while looking at a paper about ensuring that fake or cadaver fingers would not work with fingerprint systems. This was a few years ago but it used an electric sensor to look for the pattern of pores on the finger. It seemed to be pretty successful but they did not mention how robust it was in the face of blemishes. I'd imagine the false rejection rate would probably still go up which could be annoying if it you relied heavily on such a system. I still imagine there are ways to break this and would be wary of any commercial claims. That said I haven't read anything about recent sensing and processing so maybe they are genuinely robust.

As for whether they are a good idea I would say that like most technologies there always potential beneifts. But some questions for consideration are: How much will they intrude into everyday life? Do you trust the people who implement and govern these systems? And most importantly. Is it just all a big fat waste of time and money with the only the dual purposes of aggrandizing politicians' egos and making commerical interests rich?