House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Saving For a Space Ship

Has Anyone Noticed More Mental Illness On The Streets?

I popped into 'Game Station' the vid games shop today, and witnessed a middle aged man ranting manically at great speed about old computers to a stranger. The poor stranger was doing his best to distance himself without offending the ranter, perhaps as he was afraid of him turning violent.

It made me think that I had not seen such an episode on the street for a while, and this visible behaviour must increase as the debt & stress burden bites, particularly at this depresssing time of year.

Does anyone have any experience of a visible increase themselves recently?

I did a quick google & had a look at www.mind.org.uk but couldn't find a source of measurement of mental illness. Presumably, this would be at least 3 months behind anyway.

I popped into 'Game Station' the vid games shop today, and witnessed a middle aged man ranting manically at great speed about old computers to a stranger. The poor stranger was doing his best to distance himself without offending the ranter, perhaps as he was afraid of him turning violent.

It made me think that I had not seen such an episode on the street for a while, and this visible behaviour must increase as the debt & stress burden bites, particularly at this depresssing time of year.

I did a quick google & had a look at www.mind.org.uk but couldn't find a source of measurement of mental illness. Presumably, this would be at least 3 months behind anyway.

we're all on here ! :lol:

I hope you now appreciate the effects of video games.

Here endeth the lesson.

btp

This is my field - mental health. It's hardly surprising that those of us with buried anxieties, previous trauma and depression, will have to relive the nightmares as we find ourselves confronted with debt, unemployment, other family members debt and unemployment,poor housing, lack of housing,loss of housing. the list is endless.....final result?....possible mental breakdown or death. :(

We lived in Brighton for a while, it's a health farm compared to where we are now, Boscombe Bournemouth in Dorset. Walked up to the High Street last week, freezing cold, there was a guy running up the middle of the main road in just his underpants, screaming his head off. Got to Sainsburys and there was another guy standing on his head whilst playing the guitar and singing, apparently busking. On the way back noticed somebody had dumped a bath on top of the newly fitted bus shelter. I kid you not! There was even a picture of it in the local paper!

Walked up to the High Street last week, freezing cold, there was a guy running up the middle of the main road in just his underpants, screaming his head off. Got to Sainsburys and there was another guy standing on his head whilst playing the guitar and singing, apparently busking.

Times are hard for estate agents.

How about crime?

In the last few weeks I've heard a few friends and colleagues have problems with break-ins, vandalism etc.

I know this stuff happens all the time, there just seems to be more of it about at the moment.

I'd definitely expect crime to rise as the economy tanks.

CCTV business anyone?

Edited by BandWagon

We lived in Brighton for a while, it's a health farm compared to where we are now, Boscombe Bournemouth in Dorset. Walked up to the High Street last week, freezing cold, there was a guy running up the middle of the main road in just his underpants, screaming his head off. Got to Sainsburys and there was another guy standing on his head whilst playing the guitar and singing, apparently busking. On the way back noticed somebody had dumped a bath on top of the newly fitted bus shelter. I kid you not! There was even a picture of it in the local paper!

There was a crazy guy who slashed 2000 cars because he was splashed when cycling along by a car. Made me laugh when I saw a brand new X5 had a flat. A Bently was also slashed apparently in the paper casuing £2K worth of damage if i remember.

Lots of crazy people - not a nice place by day or by night. Big drugs/poverty/prostitution problem.

Edited by notanewmember

This is my field - mental health. It's hardly surprising that those of us with buried anxieties, previous trauma and depression, will have to relive the nightmares as we find ourselves confronted with debt, unemployment, other family members debt and unemployment,poor housing, lack of housing,loss of housing. the list is endless.....final result?....possible mental breakdown or death. :(

Thanks for your imput on this, could you put any meat on the bone? I`m aware of the increase in homelessness from shelter but what are your experiences at the coal face?

In Brighton library the other day listening to an old guy in obvious anguish kept saying he had to get away, get away from f**ing brighton, and repeatedly, its all lies, its lies, to his woman companion. I think he'd just heard the latest Rightmove report, or something. There's also a couple in Lewes of all places - one obese tramp with a purple dyed beard who smokes rollies and stands about, another who rants about his religion publicly and (more usefully) two guys who fix bicycles for free every saturday in the high street!

Boscombe is the pits. Only go there in the daytime. It's the dumping ground for misfits. It will take more than a little redevelopment at the pier to turn it around!!

Try coming to brighton- the streets are full of ill and drunk people and it seems to be getting worse!

Having lived in Brighton from 1985-91, IMO, it certainly had a large mentally ill percentage, partly due to the plentiful drug scene & seasonally attracted homeless.

I remember a long term Brighton resident telling me that pre-1970's, London mental hospitals used to give patients a ' train ticket to Brighton' on release, primarily to get them out of the London area, so it attracted these types.

Sound like a bit of an urban myth looking back now.

I heard talk of Banbury having a higher than average rating as well.

Any pointers on where to find evidence of changes in monthly/ annual mental health statistics?

Perhaps the figures on the amount of medication issued would be useful ot see where its going.

yes, Laurejon was seen shouting to himself manically ......''We're all doomed! ....We're all doomed!'' .......in Littlehampton High St the other day..or was it Worthing?.......and was it John Laurie?.......(aka Private Fraser

........John Laurie/Laurejon ...names remakably similar but not same person

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Laurie

Edited by Michael

Littlehampton is close!!! by 10 miles.

Remember the adage, he who laughs last laughs longest?.

Having the abilty to see what others fail to see is an attribute and a gift that few posess.

George Sorros, Amstrad, Branson, Trump, all have said that you cannot teach people how to identify an opportunity.

And it also encouraging to note that many of those that voice the opposite of the masses are the few that have that gift.

So I take great pride in telling you Yes you are doomed, and I have a plan based on my beliefs.

The question is, do you have a plan Michael or are you going with the rest of the pack.?.

Look out for me in Forbes Magazine :P

Edited by laurejon

I actually thought Littlehampton was a lifestyle mental institution. **** me last time I was down that way I needed 4 dozen Prozac to stop suicidal thoughts. They had some weird circus thing on the seafront.

They only new mental illness is in Parliament.

Littlehampton has gone upmarket with a new marina development around the harbour.

However the thought of living there for me still brings shivers down my spine. I would rather go to the dentist and have canal work than visit Littlehampton for ten minutes.

However there is a nice Cafe on the ring road where you can get English Breakie for less than 4 quid with a mug of tea.

To be really rude, my perception of Littlehampton is that it is an example of why humans should breed outside the bloodline. :P

Boscombe is the pits. Only go there in the daytime. It's the dumping ground for misfits. It will take more than a little redevelopment at the pier to turn it around!!

It will all change when they rename it "Boscombe Spa Village" :lol: Especially when the new surfing reef is installed!

Did you read about the abandoned transit van they found a while back, apparently being used as the local "shooting up" joint for months, thousands of used syringes in the back. :(

A former mental hospital up the road from me (in Burntwood, West Mids) was converted a few years ago into executive appartments - im not making it up! It is a really nice building actually.

The patients must have gone somewhere - the telephone helpline for railtrack would be my guess based on recent experience.

Try coming to brighton- the streets are full of ill and drunk people and it seems to be getting worse!

I thought the LibDem conference was in Blackpool.