House Price Crash Forum

Relocation, Relocation

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

Cue Phil: "they bought th'dis luxurious five-bed family house in Fulham and are now able to afford a twoo-bed wreck in Oxford. A buoyant property market means nobody can afford anything anymore! Hrm, potential profit!"

Edited by BuyingBear

HOLA444

Cue Phil: "they bought th'dis luxurious five-bed family house in Fulham and are now able to afford a twoo-bed wreck in Oxford. A buoyant property market means nobody can afford anything anymore! Hrm, potential profit!"

Indeed!

You cant lose on Property. Crashes only happen in the Stock Market, the house market is immune to Crashes...

HOLA445
HOLA446

You can't really compare shares with property as shares are just bits of paper traded between like minded punters.

Yup, bits of paper in companies that actually do something productive, employ people, pay taxes and generate real profits and returns year on year. You can't really compare that to a bile of bricks that can only rise in value and eventually fall down.

HOLA447

"Jeremy and Emma have lost money on their home and need to downsize. They need to cut their losses and run"

"Their old house in Fulham took 14 months to sell and they've lost a whopping £45k grand" - Krusty

They built an extension too! :)

"Emigration, I think that's the only way forward!" - Krusty. Is she saying the UK is over-priced even in the midst of a global property bubble?

I like the adverts in this show - "Aero - have you felt the bubbles melt?"

Edited by BuyingBear

HOLA448

"Jeremy and Emma have lost money on their home and need to downsize. They need to cut their losses and run"

"Their old house in Fulham took 14 months to sell and they've lost a whopping £45k grand" - Krusty

They built an extension too! :)

"Emigration, I think that's the only way forward!" - Krusty. Is she saying the UK is over-priced even in the midst of a global property bubble?

I like the adverts in this show - "Aero - have you felt the bubbles melt?"

If they had waited long enough the market would have caught up! :ph34r:

After all prices only go up up up!!!

:P

HOLA449

"If you do it up, put it on the market in 6months. You will definately get £400k. You can then sit on the house watching it go up in value with the rest of the area!" - Krusty

So why the hell did they sell their previous place at a £45k loss Krusty? Prices can go down too.

HOLA4410

I Knew It! Just said to my boyfriend I'll see what you guys have to say about this programme. Sure enough you didn't let me down! I spouted all the comments you've all just made.............I really should get a life. But I do love this web site.

HOLA4411

"If you do it up, put it on the market in 6months. You will definately get £400k. You can then sit on the house watching it go up in value with the rest of the area!" - Krusty

So why the hell did they sell their previous place at a £45k loss Krusty? Prices can go down too.

SHOCK HORROR and before the water shed....

Phil said "loss" and "slowing market" in the same breath !

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I missed the beginning so I couldn't work out exactly what they had done to lose the money, or how much.

I couldn't believe they chose Ham as it's a really expensive area and there are places much cheaper.

Edited by Given Up

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

You can't really compare shares with property as shares are just bits of paper traded between like minded punters. Property involves emotion and falling in love with somewhere which could be your home for 25+ years.

Visit the SEO bulletin board at ADVFN to see how people fall in love with their stocks. They're just like BTL muppets, they don't want to hear anything remotely negative & have their heads firmly stuck in the sand.

It can happen with any commodity, its the dream of easy money & riches that does it.

HOLA4418

Visit the SEO bulletin board at ADVFN to see how people fall in love with their stocks. They're just like BTL muppets, they don't want to hear anything remotely negative & have their heads firmly stuck in the sand.

It can happen with any commodity, its the dream of easy money & riches that does it.

Disagree.

Shares can be sold very quickly and you do not live in them. If you buy a house to live in you can still do that regardless of its current value. If people have 1 house it makes no difference to them if it goes up or down as they can buy the same thing if they want. If they have more than one then it does affect them but if they are getting a return they will happily wait until the price recovers. Shares are just speculating on the performance of a company and if they fall you lose money. They may recover, they may not.

Edited by Given Up

HOLA4419

Disagree.

Shares can be sold very quickly and you do not live in them. If you buy a house to live in you can still do that regardless of its current value. If people have 1 house it makes no difference to them if it goes up or down as they can buy the same thing if they want. If they have more than one then it does affect them but if they are getting a return they will happily wait until the price recovers. Shares are just speculating on the performance of a company and if they fall you lose money. They may recover, they may not.

Making assumptions that the price will recover?

If you are getting a positive return then I agree that you could hold a property investment forever.

But if you have any gearing at all and the market tanks then you are exposed to a number of factors which could turn your returns negative while the exits are still blocked (unless you want to take a loss):

1) Higher IRs increase mortgage repayments

2) Increased competition (ie. in rental market) reduces rents

3) Unemployent rises causing depression in rental prices (people can't pay what they don't have)

4) and more.....

Buying a second property that you do not live in or derive utility from is an investment the same as any other. To quote you:

Shares are just speculating on the performance of a company and if they fall you lose money.

And to paraphrase it:

Property investments are just speculating on the performance of the housing market, if they fall you lose money if you need to sell.

My big problem with property investment is the illiquidity of the market. As soon as the property market turns bearish its quite hard to sell up.

HOLA4420

If you have to sell.................... that's the key point with property - most people do NOT have to sell.

Also, can you give an example in the UK where house prices have not recovered to where they were?

I can give many examples of shares which just dropped.

HOLA4421

Disagree.

I think you miss my point. Yes shares are much easier & faster to sell, & yes if someone owns a house to live in it because it is their home, rather than an investment, the price movements do not bother them.

The parallel that I am drawing, is that people buying houses to speculate in increasing asset value, are just the same as people buying shares to speculate in increased share price. The people involved in BTL will not even consider that the house as an asset can lose money, it is just the same with the shareholder. See the bulletin board I posted as an example.

They are in love with the idea of easy money & getting rich quick - it is the lure of money that drives them & that they fall in love with, irrational attachment to the asset in question is just the physical manefestation of the irrational attachment to a non physical desire or concept.

HOLA4422