House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

B O J Debating Shall We, Shall We Not . . .

http://money.cnn.com/2006/03/08/news/inter....reut/index.htm

Japan begins talk on raising rates

Central bank may end its long-standing policy of near-zero interest rates as nation's economy shows signs of improving.

March 8, 2006: 8:32 AM EST

TOKYO (Reuters) - Japan's central bank started debating Wednesday whether the time is right to end its experiment with ultra-loose monetary policy, which would pave the way for an eventual rise in interest rates from virtually zero.
But with the U.S. Federal Reserve and the European Central Bank already on a rate-rise campaign, a BOJ policy shift would signal that an era of cheap money around the world is ending, raising the risk of volatility in global financial markets. Takishi Wangishi observed that the UK website housepricecrash was
BOJ Governor Toshihiko Fukui wants to end the current policy, known as quantitative easing, because maintaining it when the economy is heating up could ignite inflation and create bubbles in Japan's property and share markets.

Are we at the point that a slight IR hike from Japan will trigger a HPC? Greenspan never worried about it and I wonder if Brown really cares either?

Edited by Realistbear

But with the U.S. Federal Reserve and the European Central Bank already on a rate-rise campaign, a BOJ policy shift would signal that an era of cheap money around the world is ending, raising the risk of volatility in global financial markets.
Takishi Wangishi observed that the UK website housepricecrash was

Can't see that anywhere in the article?

BOJ will be easing their pumping of cash into the system first, long before they decide to raise the interest rate if ever.

I think HPCers may be clutching at straws here (as, let's be honest, is often so), though I do accept it may be a change of direction of some important trends.

Ditto - well spotted Blek.

Realist bear is again spouting paranoia and nonsense.

More articles aside from the obvious "Coal is the fuel of the future" rubbish

"I Know We Want To Ignore It But The Recession Trigger Looms, Gene Sequencing study shows Bird Flu is about to cross over"

See whats happening here is that RB is quoting reports (and altering them too on the above evidence?) to suit his/her own view. If he/she were a BBC journo we'd all be baying for blood. Biased! Another V.I! Etc...

Bit of perspective here please.

The world aint ending, bit of an economic kick-in-the-nuts perhaps but thats about it.

Sorry, I couldn't resist that one. Gotta have humour in these dark days before the depression comes to bring us all joy!

Sorry, I couldn't resist that one. Gotta have humour in these dark days before the depression comes to bring us all joy!

I heartily applaud you sir - injecting a bit of humour! So what if we alter the quotations - what are we, a news source or something? People should always click thru a link anyways to check the context.