House Price Crash Forum

I Don't Understand

HOLA441

If the recent reports from Halifax, Rightmove et al to be believed HPI has hit 5.5% in 3 months and "properties are flying off the shelves".

This is against a backdrop of global inflationary pressures in a country that has been warned about its debt level on at least two occasions.

Energy prices are rocketing, bankrupsies are soaring yet economists are arguing the need for rate cuts.

Am I stupid or is something amiss here?

HOLA442
HOLA443

No you're not stupid. The economy is fubar. Period.

This is my worry.

Does anyone have any advice (other than buy gold) about what the average person (who isn't in debt up to his eyeballs) and has saved a sizeable lump sum can do to insulate himself.

I am seriously considering moving abroad to work/travel for 12-18 months and moving all my cash to an offshore account possibly in swiss francs. Am I nuts?

HOLA444

If the recent reports from Halifax, Rightmove et al to be believed HPI has hit 5.5% in 3 months and "properties are flying off the shelves".

This is against a backdrop of global inflationary pressures in a country that has been warned about its debt level on at least two occasions.

Energy prices are rocketing, bankrupsies are soaring yet economists are arguing the need for rate cuts.

Am I stupid or is something amiss here?

Modern economies are highly complex and multi-faceted and interest rates too crude. It's not surprising that we have a totally unbalanced economic picture. Some areas require higher interest rates while other areas require lower interest rates. Three month ago the focus was on the latter and now it has swung back to the former. The average consumer is preoccupied with property prices, salary and monthly outgoings whereas the government is interested in GDP growth, which seems to be highly reliant on the consumer these days.

HOLA445
Guest Charlie The Tramp

As my accountant says factor in the true inflationary rate as was the case in the past and IRs would be at least a happy 7%. ;)

HOLA446

The VI's can't have it both ways they're telling us that the Property Market is heating up, with property selling and price rising, whilst at the same time calling for an interest rate reduction! Are they stupid or in trouble?

If the BOE, MPC and Gordon Brown believe Rightmove, Halifax et-al they will have no choice but to raise IR by .25% in the next 3 months. If rates aren't at 5% by the end of the year they've done the wrong thing and the aftermath will be worse for everyone.

The tides comming in and Gordon's gona get wet feet.

Pablo Silver or Lead?

HOLA447

It's quite simple really.........

Fantasy/ Spin/ Statistical manipulation of data.

global inflationary pressures in a country that has been warned about its debt level on at least two occasions.

Observed Reality.

Think .com boom and you won't be far wrong. ;)

Edited by timmy_30