Realistbear

F T S E Down 1.08% At Midday

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q?s=^FTSE

Index Value: 5,794.10

Trade Time: 12:06PM

Change: 63.30 (1.08%)

Could we see a .25% bump this week?

Might have been me moving about 1/3rd of my stocks into cash yesterday <_<

No. As far as I can see, this is due to heavyweight stocks going ex-dividend and the general sentiment created by the prospects of higher interest rates in the US.

Short Stirling is up strongly today. No change in UK interest rates is a dead cert.

Edited by karhu

No. As far as I can see, this is due to heavyweight stocks going ex-dividend and the general sentiment created by the prospects of higher interest rates in the US.

Short Stirling is up strongly today. No change in UK interest rates is a dead cert.

I am sure you are right. The BoE will take its lead from the Fed while keeping an eye on the ECB. Both are tightening which makes a cut impossible unless they want sterling to be devalued to help revive the slumping manufacturing sector.

Guest prudence

Edited by prudence

FTSE is just retreating from it's very overbought position. A visit to 5500 is on the cards, I reckon - a perfectly acceptable retracement. 0.36% of today's fall is due to ex-divi.

Bit worried about the Nasdaq.. I can't see how it's going to get back to it's early January peak, which could mean the beginning of the end for this bull market.

FTSE is just retreating from it's very overbought position. A visit to 5500 is on the cards, I reckon - a perfectly acceptable retracement. 0.36% of today's fall is due to ex-divi.

Bit worried about the Nasdaq.. I can't see how it's going to get back to it's early January peak, which could mean the beginning of the end for this bull market.

US futures not looking good for today's opening:

06:26 am : S&P futures vs fair value: -2.3. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: -6.0.

Could be the end of the bull run--most of the US headlines are dwelling on high IR and softening housing market--a dilemma? I unloaded about 1/3rd of my US mutual funds yesterday to cash (paying 4.26%)--just in case.

i did try and warn you about this van but no, you steamed right in and took a position of 6100 at year end as being a very poor return on investment.

a fool and his money are so easily parted :rolleyes:

Nasdaq . seems to have triggered a double bottom sell signal based on P&F charts

http://www.investorsintelligence.com/x/default.html#

could soon breach the long term upward trend and then its a big sell off

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Maybe they are now realising the RBA could be right. All a sea of red still, and if the DOW joins the party come Friday, followed by a weekend of reflection by the millions of sprats, it could then become very interesting. :rolleyes:

A bear market in equities would be no bad thing, as it would give us a chance to load up on a load of cheap stocks. How many of us wish we'd bought more shares when the market was depressed in 2001/02/03? I only wish I had the conviction to hold on to some of the shares I bought a couple of years ago like EZJ and LLOY which have soared since. Nevermind.. you learn from your experiences. Even Warren Buffett, the greatest investor of all time, took a few years to get it right. Next time the opportunities come, I'll grasp them with both hands hold.

All markets have their ups and downs. Look at gold - fallen from $568 to $543 within the space of 4 sessions!

Edited by Van

FTSE staging a recovery.. Back to 5820 + 21pt divi = 5841.. only -16 on yesterday's close. AZN and GSK helping limit the damage. Midcaps are a different story.. down 1.5%. Ouch.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

FTSE staging a recovery.. Back to 5820 + 21pt divi = 5841.. only -16 on yesterday's close. AZN and GSK helping limit the damage. Midcaps are a different story.. down 1.5%. Ouch.

Just dropped below 5820 again following the drop in the Nasdaq. We do stick together don`t we. :unsure:

A bumpy ride is in store for sure.

I have just gone short on the Dow Jones and when my position filters through then you may see a correction.

Both FTSE and Dow Jones are way too high.

When I move the market follows my friends on HPC and I stake very very large amounts

Good call Roman,the Dow is down over 50 points.

At this rate i will soon be able to afford to settle my rent arrears,

I am a committed bear both in the Dow and FTSE,and property prices should also head south.

I have said before the UK economy is like an elevator with a lunatic at the controls.

"Black hole,what black hole,Gordon Brown????????????"

A bear market in equities would be no bad thing, as it would give us a chance to load up on a load of cheap stocks. How many of us wish we'd bought more shares when the market was depressed in 2001/02/03? I only wish I had the conviction to hold on to some of the shares I bought a couple of years ago like EZJ and LLOY which have soared since. Nevermind.. you learn from your experiences. Even Warren Buffett, the greatest investor of all time, took a few years to get it right. Next time the opportunities come, I'll grasp them with both hands hold.

All markets have their ups and downs. Look at gold - fallen from $568 to $543 within the space of 4 sessions!

I invested everything I'd saved at the bottom of the market - ok it was only about £4000 but it's worth much more now. Been buying £100 of units and shares every month since too.

Going to make a lovely start to my deposit.

Re interest rates - it's like wishing for something - you don't want to think about it in case you jinx it!

Gordon's sticky fat fingers are wedged in every orifice of the MPC so they won't change the type of biscuit they eat at the meetings without checking with Crash G. He'll keep IRs as they are till he's got the reins of UKplc - then he can REALLY steer the old girl into the ditch. Nulaba WANT to bankrupt the country so we have to join Europe.

Persimmon are no. 1

LOSER

FTSE

Top 5 losers value change %

Persimmon 1332.00 69.00 -4.93

:lol:

Indeed. Builders got hammered today. BDEV down nearly 4% too.

Dow/S&P staged an impressive recovery, helped by lower crude prices. Dow back over 11,000.. but still in "lower high" territory. Naz doesn't look good.

FTSE futures steady at 5822. Looking for an short entry point above 5840ish.

Edited by Van

Yeah If I was allowed to trade the FTSE Id have been short from when I called the top on the FTSE thread on the 28th of Feb.

For weeks now I've been building a short global equities portfolio ( scince even the inflationist goldbugs know that equities are overvalued right now ).

Currently my portfolio is Yeilding me about 16.25 GBP per day positive carry.

over the next year im hoping to build myself an extra salary.

I'm really looking forward to these Higher rates those fed dudes keep going on about. 5.5% should do nicely :)

the Bank of Japan are reaching for the Liquidity tap....

Noticed yesterday that all but 3 of the 9 stocks I monitor (including the FTSE 100) were down. Today all but 1 are up!

Noticed yesterday that all but 3 of the 9 stocks I monitor (including the FTSE 100) were down. Today all but 1 are up!

Yeah, such is the nature of the volatility in the stock market. One day up, another day down. FTSE got back to as high as 5855, just 50pts off it's high adjusting for ex-divi.

Nonetheless, charts are showing a loss of momentum, especially the FTSE 250. I'm betting on this being a lower high, and have gone short again. Breadth indicators for FTSE are beginning to turn bearish.

Yeah, such is the nature of the volatility in the stock market. One day up, another day down. FTSE got back to as high as 5855, just 50pts off it's high adjusting for ex-divi.

Nonetheless, charts are showing a loss of momentum, especially the FTSE 250. I'm betting on this being a lower high, and have gone short again. Breadth indicators for FTSE are beginning to turn bearish.

Still talk of takeovers, from the big (lloyds) to the small(ish - center parcs), lots of buybacks ongoing too. It will almost certainly stay volitile until the summer, when I can see the usual seasonal drift down start.