House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
karhu

B T L In University Towns

Tory MPs warn over degree numbers

'Barely half' of students were doing jobs which needed a degree

A group of right-wing Conservative MPs has warned that too many young people are taking university arts courses.

Tory leader David Cameron has said anyone who thinks they can gain from a degree should have the chance to go.

But the Cornerstone group of MPs said studying traditional arts subjects could make graduates worse off, with growing numbers "not benefiting".

However, the government says that university is still a "worthwhile investment" for students.

:ph34r:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4784138.stm

IMHO the numbers of people going to university is by far a minor effect on BTL in university towns. A much larger effect is that many universities are building their own student halls of residence. When I was in London my university built student halls of residence, and was building more, which might be finishing about now. Up here in Leicester there are lots of shiny new buildings that appear to be halls of residence, and comments in the press from VI-type people that the student rental market is dying.

I haven't checked the prices here, but in London they were charging, a couple of years ago, about £250 a month for a room in the student residence. This was low enough to be less than the students would pay to rent a room in a house or HMO. The rooms were also networked into the main uni network, meaning that the students had better than broadband for free, which cost the uni pretty well nothing. There are other advantages for students, such as being right in the university grounds (or just across the road in Leicester). They also live in big buildings full of students, meaning that there are tons of like-minded people around for all the various social activities that students get up to.

The unis had a big advantage on potential landlords. For example, they can offer new students coming from out of the area to set up their accomodation as part of the enrollment process, rather than the students of going through the nightmare of going 'round the estate agents, not being told if they have been successful in getting a place until about two days before they're supposed to move in, etc. etc. etc. In London, my uni had (note past tense) large fields and grassy areas within the university grounds. So they didn't need to buy land for the student halls of residence, they built them on land they already had.

In London the loss of students from the rental market when student halls are built wasn't that bad, as the location was very convenient for the centre of london, so 'professionals' could take up the slack. In smaller cities such as Leicester, the effect is much more.

Billy Shears

Quite right. An awful lot of student BTL properties would be condemned as unfit for human habitation if they weren't occupied by students who didn't really care for the short time they're at uni.

In London the loss of students from the rental market when student halls are built wasn't that bad, as the location was very convenient for the centre of london, so 'professionals' could take up the slack. In smaller cities such as Leicester, the effect is much more. [billyShears]

For an example see 'Student landlords feel the pinch' [september 2004]:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lincolnshire/3682510.stm

Landlords in Lincoln have said they may be forced to sell their properties because of new university flats.

The warning comes as more than 600 student flats remain unoccupied - three days in to the of the academic year.

Estate agents say they have seen a drop in interest involving houses which would previously have been bought for students to rent.

Over the summer the University of Lincoln has built around 650 new flats in the heart of the city.

Janet Cook, the external accommodation officer for the university, confirmed a new £30m development for students in Lincoln seems to be their new top choice.

It's a "worthwhile investment" for government because, a) students now pay their own way, and b.) it makes the youth unemployment numbers appear better.

Edited by BuyingBear

I'd like to see more uni hall of residence. Uni benefits and so do the students.

BTL predators are then removed from the equation (when it comes to student accomodation).

Seems fair to me, and good for universities!!

but wasn't it a sort rights of passage to move into a house in your second year of uni rather than stay in university owned halls and houses....

the btl student houses had no stupid rules etc

if so do you think the demand will fall if the uni's build for properties? Surely only if they build enough to cover all years at university rather than just the freshers.....

in my first year not all the freshers could get uni accomodation as there wasn't enough around.

Edited by CrashBear

but wasn't it a sort rights of passage to move into a house in your second year of uni rather than stay in university owned halls and houses....

if so do you think the demand will fall if the uni's build for properties? Surely only if they build enough to cover all years at university rather than just the freshers.....

in my first year not all the freshers could get uni accomodation as there wasn't enough around.

Yeah but I bet halls then didn't have ensuite facilities, broadband connections in the rooms.

My uni has 11 halls of residence. That's not enough for everyone, but enough for a lot of people. And the new halls they built wouldn't have been enough for all students, but it only takes a drop of 10% in demand for the balance between supply and demand to tip in the supply direction.

Also, university was less expensive way back when.

Billy Shears

I think these days by the time students get to University they have had stupid rules to live by for most of their lives so don't actually know any different. I got seriously ripped off by an unscrupulous landlord and we could have ended up dead for all he cared (boiler problems). I would have loved to have stayed in halls for three years in fact by the sounds of them I'd love to live in them now !!!

I think these days by the time students get to University they have had stupid rules to live by for most of their lives so don't actually know any different. I got seriously ripped off by an unscrupulous landlord and we could have ended up dead for all he cared (boiler problems). I would have loved to have stayed in halls for three years in fact by the sounds of them I'd love to live in them now !!!

Certainly a more relaible and predictable deal - no retainers out of term either.

University BTL is going to be in a three-way pincer movement - growing college run accommodation, lowering numbers (becase of the realisation that a degree may not pay when higher fees are introduced and others have not got degree level jobs after their courses anyway) and more students staying home to study.

http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtm.../09/nstud09.xml

Students shun university life to stay at home with their parents

By Liz Lightfoot, Education Correspondent

(Filed: 09/03/2006)

Students today are more likely to live at home with their parents and less likely to frequent the union bars, according to a lifestyle survey.

Almost 500,000 university students - 20 per cent - are turning their backs on the traditional campus lifestyle and living at home with their parents, according to the survey by Sodexho, the catering company, and the Times Higher Education Supplement.

I walked past one of the student halls of residence recently. It had a sign in the window saying that rooms were £54.50 per week. This is a monthly rate of £236pcm. This undercuts any room in a typical rented house that I've seen. In the window of the uni estate agents they have what appears to be a newbuild flat development with 2bed flats on for £300pcm, presumably £300 each for two people.

I note that even if that's a £600pcm rent for the "luxury apartment", that's about the price of a pretty reasonable 3 bed semi or cheap 4 bed. But if that's their gross return, to get a gross return of 7.5%, that would mean a maximum price for the flat of £96,000. Those flats are more expensive than that.

Billy Shears