House Price Crash Forum

Reading

HOLA441

LOL - just recieved 'A front row ticket for the premiere showing of projection east' which is basically an invite to hear about the flats they are building in the hotel/cinema/flats complex in reading town centre where the boars head used to be. I.e the small, new build flats with no parking next to the 'binge drinking area' of Reading

I note that the flyer (from Haslams) has "One of the Top Six places to invest in the UK" AS SEEN ON CHANNEL 4 plastered all over the front of it........

Now, where is my chequebook............. :D

Edited by Pond321

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

I think that's only true for certain areas. In some parts, (Newtown, Tilehurst, Oxford Rd) houses don't seem to be selling at all whereas everything (small) is being snapped up (by said BTLs) in Uni, Earley, etc.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this but it seems that the Tilehurst area is becoming more & more undesirable but Whitley (!!) seems to be picking up for some reason - well, in house prices at least! Does anyone know why? Maybe as a result of its name being changed by EAs to "University borders"?

why do you think that tilehurst is going downhill. It used to be a reasonable area, the old 'cooks' houses along overdown and dell road area were very desirable. Has this changed. I have not been in the area for about 3 years.

HOLA443

why do you think that tilehurst is going downhill. It used to be a reasonable area, the old 'cooks' houses along overdown and dell road area were very desirable. Has this changed. I have not been in the area for about 3 years.

Perhaps some parts of Tilehurst are still good. I don't go to Tilehurst that often, just got the idea from the free property paper - asking prices in Tilehurst (on average) seem lower than in Whitley recently for comparable sized properties. Also, Tilehurst properties seem to reappear in the paper week after week after week.

I've also noticed more and more reports in the local rag of "undesirable" incidents (yobbery, etc) happening in the Tilehurst area, whereas up until about 2 years ago these sort of reports were almost always about Whitley.

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA444

Just noticed this on rightmove.

here

I was living opposite these flats whilst they were being built, they seemed to all be snapped up by flippers right at the peak. Seems someone over stretched themselves and I feel sorry for the poor sods currently renting there.

In my own block, the flat above me was broken into by bailiffs, they came down stairs to apologise about the noise of the drilling. I was told everyone in my blocked rented and so was wondering where the people stood (can bailiffs damage a rented flat to get to the possessions of the people who are renting??)

Edited by mrhappy

HOLA445

There are so many new build flats in west reading, every time I drive down there its just a sea of To LET or For Sale signs. Problem with those kind of places is there are 20 other properties on the market all exactly the same specifications at the same time. Its a buyers market I guess, maybe some bargains to be had. I just wish I could put up with west Reading :)

Edited by zag2me

HOLA446

There are so many new build flats in west reading, every time I drive down there its just a sea of To LET or For Sale signs. Problem with those kind of places is there are 20 other properties on the market all exactly the same specifications at the same time. Its a buyers market I guess, maybe some bargains to be had. I just wish I could put up with west Reading :)

And Oxford road is a war zone FFS. Would not walk down there after 8PM carrying a laptop........

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA447

UNBELIEVABLE!

I bought a studio flat 1 year ago for 85k, its in a block with loads of other studios at exactly the same size and shape.

Someone just put one the market for 105k

Either I bought at a really good price, or this studio has gold walls!

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA448

UNBELIEVABLE!

I bought a studio flat 1 year ago for 85k, its in a block with loads of other studios at exactly the same size and shape.

Someone just put one the market for 105k

Either I bought at a really good price, or this studio has gold walls!

Am still looking for a place to live around the Earley area.Have now been looking at the new houses in Shinfield.....lots have been sold recently,where do all these people come from??

The agent selling the houses was very snooty towards me until I mumbled that we were renting.She was somewhat helpful but indicated how POPULAR everything was & how RUSHED off her feet she had been all week.ZZZZZZZ

Any views on houses in Earley/Lower Earley/Shinfield from people living in this area for a long time??

Many thanks Moggy

HOLA449

I lived in shinfield before I moved to lower earley. There are lots of new builds coming onto the market, and they are being bought by people thats for sure.

I would ignore what salewomen tell you on sites, they talk rubbish usually and are trained to make a sale remember.

Its a nice area, definitly suitable for families, but watch out for the planned work on Junction 11, it should make getting over the motorway easier, but it will be 2 years of hell getting there :)

The lower Earley market is still red hot at the moment.

HOLA4410

I lived in shinfield before I moved to lower earley. There are lots of new builds coming onto the market, and they are being bought by people thats for sure.

I would ignore what salewomen tell you on sites, they talk rubbish usually and are trained to make a sale remember.

Its a nice area, definitly suitable for families, but watch out for the planned work on Junction 11, it should make getting over the motorway easier, but it will be 2 years of hell getting there :)

The lower Earley market is still red hot at the moment.

Thanks Zag2me,

Which parts of Lower Earley would you recommend to look in??We have been here for 4 months now & are beginning to get a handle on it.

Any major reason for moving from Shinfield to L/E ??

We are trying to think ahead for our son with regard transport into the city when he's older & wants to meet up with his mates from school etc

Have you heard anything about a new secondary school they are planning to build in Shinfield(EA mentioned it to me)

Cheers Moggy

HOLA4411

Thanks Zag2me,

Which parts of Lower Earley would you recommend to look in??

Any property close to the Lower Earley Way is on known flood plane... towards Winnersh. Best properties are closer to Wilderness Road... old Earley

HOLA4412

A friend of mine bought a two bed duplex pad in the centre of 'old' Reading about 2 years ago, this area does have certain similarities with down-town Beirut too!

Anyways, bought for £135K , repainted to sell and gets an offer from FTBs at the full asking of £170K after a week...

Go figure!

Where is the market slowdown/crash?

Frank

HOLA4413

A friend of mine bought a two bed duplex pad in the centre of 'old' Reading about 2 years ago, this area does have certain similarities with down-town Beirut too!

Anyways, bought for £135K , repainted to sell and gets an offer from FTBs at the full asking of £170K after a week...

Go figure!

Where is the market slowdown/crash?

Frank

Watch this space !!!!

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4416

Perhaps significant? For the first time in ages and estate agent in Lower Early really pressuring me to see properties ie 'the you live close by so why not approach'. There are a number of properties that are clearly over priced and are not shifitng, and houses do seem to take longer to sell but that could be do to the time of year.

HOLA4417

Please excuse my ignorance:

Has anyone noticed that on rightmove a whole load of properties have appeared for sale as "SALE BY TENDER".

Does anyone know what this means?

Why would someone want to sell a property in this way?

Does it say anything about what is happening to the house market in Reading, or is it simply a new "fad"?

HOLA4418

2 Flats came up in the block I currently rent a flat it.

My rent is £725PM and the landlord bought the property in 2003 for £136K

The 2 flats (identical to mine) were on at £165 and £162. They were listed last Wednesday.

I phoned the estate agent to have a look at them. Booked the appointment for last night.

The first had sold (STC) over the weekend so I never got to see it. I viewed the second one that was in worse condition than my flat. The agent said he already had people sniffing around it and was I interested. I offered 90% (£146.6). He said that was not enough to beat the existing interested party.

Oh well. It does seem that stuff is selling fast in Reading but it remains to be seen for how long.

Doesnt matter what the EA says, as long as you make an offer he is legally obliged to pass it on to the vendor.

Put it in writing and then approach the vendor to see if he received it.

If he doesnt you can have the EA prosecuted and if its sold to someone else you could possibly sue for damages.

He must put all offers to the vendor, ignore the 'we have a higher offer' bullsh1t.

Edited by needle

HOLA4419

Doesnt matter what the EA says, as long as you make an offer he is legally obliged to pass it on to the vendor.

Put it in writing and then approach the vendor to see if he received it.

If he doesnt you can have the EA prosecuted and if its sold to someone else you could possibly sue for damages.

He must put all offers to the vendor, ignore the 'we have a higher offer' bullsh1t.

Hmm, was not treally fussed either way. To be honest, the less I have to do with the (cheaply) sharp suited, funkily coiffed 'Jonathan from Haslams' the better. The flat had sold though - both to BTL bods as 'To let' signs immediatley appeared. Yield must be rubbish though. And to date there are still 'To Let' signs out front so not sure if they have actually found tennants.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

The market still seems to be bouyant around the lower early area, lots of viewings over the bank holiday weekend around my area.

Loads have come on the lower earley market in the last week. How do you know of the viewings? are you an estate agent? have many of the viewings resulted in offers? if so how do they compare to asking prices?

HOLA4422

The market still seems to be bouyant around the lower early area, lots of viewings over the bank holiday weekend around my area.

Any advice on a good area to rent?

Somewhere quiet would suit.

May be working at Foster Wheeler soon.

Budget around 1000pcm

HOLA4423

Budget around 1000pcm

Not Oxford Road, near Oxford Road or 'South Reading' (including Whitley Wood!!) ! I tend to go for houses within 'The University Area' tends to be central, walking distance to town & good roads out of town and little trouble with crime etc.

Early is also OK if you like a quiet, suburban type environment. Caversham can be OK, but transport links are awful!!

Edited by Pond321

HOLA4424

Loads have come on the lower earley market in the last week. How do you know of the viewings? are you an estate agent? have many of the viewings resulted in offers? if so how do they compare to asking prices?

Hehe not one of those "suits" I can assure you :) I just live in here.

There where lots of estate agents milling around our road all over the bank holiday monday doing viewings for the 3-4 houses up for sale. 2 of those houses have since changed to "sold".

Budget around 1000pcm

Foster wheeler has a good free bus service for thier employees I believe into the center of reading.

3 mile cross would be your best bet as its walkable over the footbridge and there is a nice new development up there with lots of rentable property, then Shinfield, lower earley, and maybe woodley. All very easy to get to shire hall/FW from there.

All these areas are nice and quiet, and very sought after.

HOLA4425

Not Oxford Road, near Oxford Road or 'South Reading' (including Whitley Wood!!) ! I tend to go for houses within 'The University Area' tends to be central, walking distance to town & good roads out of town and little trouble with crime etc.

Early is also OK if you like a quiet, suburban type environment. Caversham can be OK, but transport links are awful!!

Thanks for the advice (last 2 posts)

There seems to be a lot for rent in Shinfield Park, looks to be a new development.

Any comments?