House Price Crash Forum

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose we are all in this to get the best out of the current situation otherwise we'd all be burying our heads in the sand and getting on with life (!) but put it this way, you are in a better situation that myself. At least you would only pay 28k to get back to what you had. I would have to stump up £150k for a council house I could have got for free if I hadn't bothered with an education.

Its going to take a lot longer than a few months and nothing in life comes easy (unless it's illegal!)

i don't know if this will help you sandra, but here it goes:

Woolwich sees fall in house prices confidence

Consumers' confidence in the housing market has taken a battering, with confidence tumbling by seven per cent in October, taking levels to their lowest for four years, according to new research by the Woolwich.

And Andy Gray, head of mortgages at Barclays and The Woolwich, said that with confidence levels at the lowest for four years, yesterday's decision to hold interest rates came as "no surprise" following the slowdown in the housing market and lower growth in borrowing.

"We expect confidence to soften further as interest rates are set to peak at five per cent in early 2005," he said.

The Woolwich consumer confidence index shows that just 45 per cent of homeowners now believe their property will continue to increase in value compared to 52 per cent in September and 56 per cent in August.

In regional highlights, confidence fell the most in Yorkshire and the South East, by 12 per cent to 47 and 41 per cent respectively, making the South East the least confident region in the country.

By contrast the South West was the most confident region in the country with 54 per cent on homeowners in both regions believing that their property would continue to increase in value over the next 12 months.

SO CLEARLY THE MAJORITY OF PEOPLE IN YORKSHIRE (HARROGATE - North Yorkshire?) EXPECT HOUSE PRICES TO FALL!!

I don't mean in anyway to be offensive but when one STRs then this is always a risk that the value of the property may go up further. When one does STR it is usually because one thinks that the price rises may be wiped out by a crash and so it is better to crystalise one's gains before the gains disappear. The fact that the property that you sold has gone up in value even further and that you are regretting selling your property may be viewed as greed. People who STR tend to be greedy and calculating speculative types who can afford to play the property market. My sympathy is for families and people who are being exploited by the STR yuppies who are making a fast buck at the poor mugs who are buying now because they want a house as a home rather than as an investment. I think you have made enough money by selling and cashing in on the boom. When people decide to be greedy and sell there house for profit and then start moaning and wingeing that they could have made money money if they held onto it for a little longer then I can only say that people who winge like this do not have my sympathy. If people choose to be greedy and make money and then complain they they could have made even more money if they held out then that is bad luck i'm afraid. People will need to learn the hard way the lessons of greed.

Hey Sandra, would you buy today?

I mean, would you feel comfortable buying another property in today's market and committing to that decision for a couple of years?

If the answer is no, then you did the right thing.

If yes, then go ahead.

"There is no future in the past..."

or

"Success lies on the far side of failure..."

or

"It's better to regret having done something than to regret having not done something..."

... and so on.

thanks for all the responses, i never expected so many bits of advice and positive thoughts

It is a little hurtful when some suggest that the post is not sincere.

Believe me it took much confidence to finally post my real thoughts on here. I must say that as i would have probably lived in the house i sold for a long time had we kept it, then even if there was a HPC, it would only be temporary and in a few years time my house would be worth maybe 400,000

with fees etc now i am down at least 35000 and have to committ to a 6 month ast i dont really feel happy with. the stigma of renting does not sit happy with one who has always been a householder either

wiseman prices have not dropped here im afraid

ceeshaw i would buy today yes - property is an appreciating thing long term ans think there must be many more on here who privately regret their actions yet defend them in public because of pride issues

it can be very overzealous on here at times and I think in a round about way some people are being brainwashed - dont mean to be insulting by the way.

it was on tv yesterday that many extremely wealthy people have lots of property and have kept hold of it through thick and thin. I can now understand their appraoch.

Sandra. Don't believe people they are full of cr@p.

I don't know what you were doing 5 years ago. But half the people I worked with were going on about how much money they made in the stock market (not necessarily even dotcoms, just stocks in general). They lost shitloads.

Sounds like your boss is one of these people. Ask him how much money he lost in 2000/2001. Next year he wont be talking about his BTLs either! Lol.

Somepeople are pretty one side around here. But I think you'll find it is most of the British public that are brainwashed.

What is the first half of the postcode? Will be interesting to see the land registry figures next week.

thanks for all the responses, i never expected so many bits of advice and positive thoughts

It is a little hurtful when some suggest that the post is not sincere.

Believe me it took much confidence to finally post my real thoughts on here. I must say that as i would have probably lived in the house i sold for a long time had we kept it, then even if there was a HPC, it would only be temporary and in a few years time my house would be worth maybe 400,000

with fees etc now i am down at least 35000 and have to committ to a 6 month ast i dont really feel happy with. the stigma of renting does not sit happy with one who has always been a householder either

wiseman prices have not dropped here im afraid

ceeshaw i would buy today yes - property is an appreciating thing long term ans think there must be many more on here who privately regret their actions yet defend them in public because of pride issues

it can be very overzealous on here at times and I think in a round about way some people are being brainwashed - dont mean to be insulting by the way.

it was on tv yesterday that many extremely wealthy people have lots of property and have kept hold of it through thick and thin. I can now understand their appraoch.

On here for first time and stumbled on this one!

Sandra...i think the phrase tough titty is what you are searching for.

didnt you hope to be making at least 35k instead of losing it?ha!

why cry on here now..when as to quote bbb you gambled and lost

this is so hilarious and serves you right

what happens when your lotto tickets lose?do you go and ask for money back?

am surprised your hubby has not left home (rented house rather) by now

no sympathy whatsoever with you sweetheart

you thought you had shafted your buyer didnt you - so serves you right!

Too may greedy people out there who need to get their priorities right.

has this made you unhappy?

money is the root of all evil isnt it sandra?

i can only think that you have something deep seated that bothers you about people like me

i admit to trying to get ahead in this tough world financially

and yes it has backfired

have had lots of positive sincere feedback up til now

i respect your thoughts even though not your delivery

i am guilty of greed it is a human trait

money has been the root of evil for me yes..sorry for that

i can only think that you have something deep seated that bothers you about people like me

i admit to trying to get ahead in this tough world financially

and yes it has backfired

have had lots of positive sincere feedback up til now

i respect your thoughts even though not your delivery

i am guilty of greed it is a human trait

money has been the root of evil for me yes..sorry for that

I can not believe that any sensible person is falling for this crap. A fake post which has attracted too much attention and presumably allowed the bull who posted it to snigger. Well he who laughs last laughs longest, and as a genuine STR having too accepted an offer in January i am enjoying the interest, living stress free, calling in the plumber for a minor leak that i dont have to pay for and watching prices tumble. I am laughing my socks off. Life is so good but i do sympathise with those who have jumped on to the bandwaggon too late, they will get financial whiplash as it not only grinds to a halt, but catapults backwards. Its already 10% down on when i sold, -30% is a certainty and -40 looks highly probable

As i sat in the noodle bar in Aylesbury this evening, something i felt financially unable to do with a massive mortgage round my neck, i was looking out at two estate agents, connells and Haarts. The former had two people in an hour the later not one. I would not suprise me in the least if the two customers were panic buyers not eager sellers.

Lets stop this bull, in more senses than one and get back to reality.

TOO LATE, but nice to know io was 100 right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Interesting that your friends house sold more than the asking price. This is a definite sign of a bubble market and a feeding frenzy.

I think that you will find that the true cult is the "property is always good" mentality.

Gosh, didn't Halifax report the 7th largest monthly drop in house prices since records began yesterday?

But timing is everything and I'll admit that mistiming can be painful. An ex-boss of mine STR'd in 2001. Boy is he hurting. To the tune of nearly 100% his sale price. Imagine that. Imagine you friends house going for £600,000!

Imagine that these price increases continue at 15% per year. Soon, any house will cost £1 million.

Doh! How will people afford them then?

Nope, something is going to give, prices are going down big time and you have timed the market pretty well I think.

Enjoy life, rent a really good house, don't skimp and have a great Christmas with your capital racking up interest in a nice fat deposit account.

omg.this is like shooting fish in a barel!

I come clean and some dopey gits still respond as if i am lil ole sandra b in the brown stuff

some posts have disappeared..LOL..embarassed or what?

well spotted surveyor!...an observant mind..hats off to you!

How can i make this game hard for myself?....................................