House Price Crash Forum

have been reading on here as a guest for a while now, but decided to say my piece as it is starting to trouble me somewhat.

As i sold my house in the hope of prices falling in early jan, all that has happened since is that the prices have risen. consequently my former home is now valued at 28,000 more than i sold it for.

It is obvious that i have been left behind in the market. if i add in my fees to sell and fees to buy (If I do get back on board), then i am around 35,000 down.

i feel so foolish, and must admit that although this board has consoled me for some time, i feel i must face up to the fact that i have been deluding myself.

At the present time, I feel as if i am the worlds biggest fool and have made a monumental mistake. My husband, who wanted to stay in our home, is so angry at how things have worked out - it is causing much heartache for us.

Am not really sure why i have posted on here today, suppose it just makes me feel a little better at confiding my thoughts and reflections.

Anyone considering doing what i have done, should i think hesitate and ask why they are really doing it. My boss tells me that house prices have always gone up historically and that doesnt help i can tell you.

sorry to drone on in a negative way, but I feel so empty at present.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

have been reading on here as a guest for a while now, but decided to say my piece as it is starting to trouble me somewhat.

As i sold my house in the hope of prices falling in early jan, all that has happened since is that the prices have risen. consequently my former home is now valued at 28,000 more than i sold it for.

It is obvious that i have been left behind in the market. if i add in my fees to sell and fees to buy (If I do get back on board), then i am around 35,000 down.

i feel so foolish, and must admit that although this board has consoled me for some time, i feel i must face up to the fact that i have been deluding myself.

At the present time, I feel as if i am the worlds biggest fool and have made a  monumental mistake. My husband, who wanted to stay in our home, is so angry at how things have worked out - it is causing much heartache for us.

Am not really sure why i have posted on here today, suppose it just makes me feel a little better at confiding my thoughts and reflections.

Anyone considering doing what i have done, should i think hesitate and ask why they are really doing it. My boss tells me that house prices have always gone up historically and that doesnt help i can tell you.

Let me see, is this for real?...........Do you know any bullish types or are you from another website? Your house is valued (by whom?) at £28,000 more than in January. I think not.

At the present time, I feel as if i am the worlds biggest fool and have made a  monumental mistake. My husband, who wanted to stay in our home, is so angry at how things have worked out - it is causing much heartache for us.

don't worry...so you missed out on the final surge...no matter,tis very hard to truly call the top...you'll be much happier when the prices really start to fall and they go racing past your break even point and into profit.

although, how much did you sell for, where are you and when did you sell?

Let me see, is this for real?...........Do you know any bullish types or are you  from another website? Your house is valued (by whom?) at £28,000 more than in January. I think not.

Surveyor i'm not being rude , but you are talking rubbish. many many houses have gone up way over 28k since january. perhaps not in your hood, but certainly up North.

Sandra, you chose to bet on the market with your home, and now have to face the consequences of your actions. good or bad.

Yes, it depends which part of the country you are in.

You are not alone. We too completed January 04 and I it was a stressful stage spring / summer seeing prices go up. Yes, our house would be valued more now, but its not the valuation price but what you sell the house for that counts.

You have the money in the bank, gaining interest and no stress.!

I'm just outside Leeds..towards harrogate

Sold for 290,00

Next door (if anything inferior to ours) just sold for 318,000

It sold within 2 months (viewing up to completion)

property is more in demand than ever here it seems.

i can assure you surveyor that this is indeed for real! Only wish you could experience it yourself and then see.

It was not simply valued but SOLD at 28000 more!

topher Bear

thanks for the empathy, but these are the things i have been reading here for weeks, and have te realise now that I have made a mistake - a big bad one.

BBB

I have to agree with you to be truthful

It is obvious that yopu see things differently to me and others here, and it hurts to admit it but at present you seem to be ahead of things.

my boss actually buys houses and rents them out and he takes a contrary view to me. guess what? he is bloomin wealthy and i wish i had actually bought a second house now instead of selling my only one

to compound things my AST expires soon and the LL is wanting a new 6 month one and will not settle for a periodic one and this will committ me until mid summer

seems i cannot win at all here.

"Sandra, you chose to bet on the market with your home, and now have to face the consequences of your actions"

Nice work BBB. Real compassionate.

what is there to be compassionate about? was she forced into it? would she be weeping if prices had fallen 28k? she even ignored her own spouse for c's sake!!!!

if this was someone who had lost their house through ilness, or not being able to keep up with repayments etc etc etc then my stance would be a whole different ball game.

Sandra b,

I'm in Harrogate. We are in the final stages here in the North, it will change and

prices will fall and alot more than 28k.( They might have taken an offer! )

Don't worry, we have done the same as you and I have a 3 year old daughter and we are renting.

We have not long to wait, !!

BBB

It is obvious that yopu see things differently to me and others here, and it hurts to admit it but at present you seem to be ahead of things.

my boss actually buys houses and rents them out and he takes a contrary view to me. guess what? he is bloomin wealthy and i wish i had actually bought a second house now instead of selling my only one

to compound things my AST expires soon and the LL is wanting a new 6 month one and will not settle for a periodic one and this will committ me until mid summer

cheers Sanda. i'm not going to lie to you just to make you feel better. i mean you no offence, and wish you luck with your next direction. :)

Sandra,

Why did you sell out?

Did you really think you would call the top of the market?

Are you really distraught about the extra £28k?

If so, you're right, you really shouldn't have done it.

Others who STR-ed, to lock in their profits before reality dawned, who use this site seem much more relaxed and well aware that they won't call the top and it will take time for reality to dawn.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very much a bear but the housing market just doesn't work like that - it is a major momentum market... the upward momentum is dying away (has done in most areas), now you just need to await the downward momentum (and ignore those fantasists who tell you prices will stagnate for the next eight years).

I think you are brave for acting on your beliefs and if I was in your position I'd like to think that I'd done the same thing. I am no expert. I do know that noone can see into the future so what is going to happen to the market is anyone's guess.

The price you say has gone up since January? It has peaked by now surely and as I've read, asking prices are dropping all over the country. So in the next month or two yours might be back to where it was in Jan.

I think if you are going to sell to rent, you have to look at the wider picture and not on a month to month basis. It might pan out a little different in a years time. Maybe it takes the strength of your conviction to wait and see if you were right to sell up.

Don't know if this helps - probably not! - but I think what I am trying to say is that if you want to reap rewards from this housing boom, it's not going to be a quick way to make money, it will take some time for the correction to gain full swing.

Good luck!

:)

The only posts I've ever read by BBB I can agree with.

STR = find some sucker to buy your inflated house and hope they get negative equity pronto.

So Sandra's lost some paper wealth? Hardly the same as some FTB that's seen prices double or even quadruple in half a decade and has seen their savings decimated by speculation-driven house price mania.

Thanks for that

i hols no malice to people like you..you are a businessman and wish i had more acumen like that at times.

lou thanks but your rallying cry is a little hollow im sorry to say. When i step back now and see the reality, this site sometimes appears to be like a crazed cult who have to maintain their stance for pride reasons.

pride has cost me money and am now trying to be a little more business like myself.

it does however help to air my felings to you good people who are kind enought ot ry and help me.

sandra b, u don't live v.far from myself then...i live in a posh end of bradford (heaton) Neighbours house was sold approx feb for £275k, and the person who moved in has got it on sale now for £295k..SHOCKING, I KNOW!!

But let me tell u something, the house has been on for the last 2 months with no prospective buyers in site and i doubt it very much that there gonna be any. Yes ur house may have been sold @ high price, but these are those stupid people who eithier have too much money and don't care where it goes, or they just think like your boss that prices will go up forever.

Remember even halifax admit that FTBs can not afford properties..if FTB are out of market, then where's the bloody demand? There's plenty of supply though...so till FTB can not reenter the housing market, most likely it will be a downward trend.

The snowball's already started rolling downwards and will only get faster and bigger. Give it time and watch. Expect the losses back to gains soon.

"STR = find some sucker to buy your inflated house and hope they get negative equity pronto"

COAB, There's nothing wrong with STR and no-one is forcing the mug to pay such ridiculous prices. It is their choice. And I'm pretty sure anyone who has STRed doesn't give a flying F8ck what happens to the people who buy their old property.

BBB

Sandra no offence love but...

SLAP!!!

Now pull yourself together!

What pray has changed in the last year? A few thousand more mugs have decided to run up even more debt. The pratt who bought yuor next door neighbour's house is now mortgaged up to the eyeballs if a first time buyer (which I doubt), or if not they've had to pay a hefty whack in stamp duty, moving costs, and of course, tanking up their mortgage.

The whole market is about to collapse in on itself. Eleven months in the grand scheme of things is nothing, especially when compared to paying off a mortgage. You have merely "left the last 10% to the market". Prices stopped going up in many parts of the country, mainly down south, ages ago. The people buying now are the "greater fools" who will mourn their expenditure for many years to come.

The market is clogging up and people refuse to buy anymore. Sentiment, the biggest factor in property, is turning, and before long you will be glad you got out before you did. As long as you are saving each month, you are doing very well.

At least you've got a mound of cash to put down later as a deposit! Us FTBers have 100% of sweet FA!

lou thanks but your rallying cry is a little hollow im sorry to say. When i step back now and see the reality, this site sometimes appears to be like a crazed cult who have to maintain their stance for pride reasons.

Sandra,

The reality is house prices are vastly overpriced and this bubble will crash!