House Price Crash Forum

Please Jog My Memory

HOLA441

Am I right in thinking that when houses were being repossed in the last crash you got some help from the government.I seem to remember that they would pay your interest bit of the mortgage up to 120k for a while.Any one rememder?

HOLA442

Am I right in thinking that when houses were being repossed in the last crash you got some help from the government.I seem to remember that they would pay your interest bit of the mortgage up to 120k for a while.Any one rememder?

I;m sure I remember a story of one ex city trader having the interest on a huge mortgage being paid, so not sure of the exact limits. But yes, no income - all interest paid right from the start of unemployment.

Now - limits (and checks on any other savings) and a 9 month wait I believe.

Edited by OnlyMe

HOLA443
HOLA444

They will now only pay the interest on the first 100k of a mortgage.

This rule came into force in about 1995, it used to be an unlimited amount before that.

Even so when it goes belly up @ say 5.25% thats a fair old bit of dosh the tax payer is gonna have to find.

HOLA445
HOLA446

What will happen to someone who's mew'ed - Will the Tax payer end up paying their cc debts? i.e. the interest on. :unsure:

never occured to me that mew issue.I cant remember wether it was popular before the last crash.

HOLA447

What will happen to someone who's mew'ed - Will the Tax payer end up paying their cc debts? i.e. the interest on. :unsure:

It they can prove they spent the MEW on "home improvements", yes. Otherwise, no.

Also, anyone who still has a mortgage dating from before the rules changed in the mid 90's will still get the interest paid from the first day of unemployment. The change to a 9 month delay didn't apply to existing mortgages, only new mortgages taken out from that point onwards.

HOLA448

The limit is £100,000 and nothing is paid for the first 9 months after you claim unemployment benefit or income support.

Unless you are on incapacity benefit the odds of repossession beginning before it starts being paid is 100% so you better hope you have an income insurance policy.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

never occured to me that mew issue.I cant remember wether it was popular before the last crash.

As far as I am aware the scheme does not pay anything other than the purchase of the house...so no, it will not pay mew that has been used to buy holiday homes and 4x4s. The limit is £100K and it pays the interest only.

This is not a scheme designed to help people avoid repo during a crash. The scheme is ongoing and pays the interest on any home up to £100K if that person is on income support or unemployment benefit.

If we did have a crash I wouldn't put it past Gordon to increase this limit.