House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

H P I In Estonia Explosive

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4782434.stm

House prices in Estonia rose by more than any other European country last year, the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (Rics) has found.
The Rics report on the European housing market shows that Estonian house prices rose by 28%, ahead of Denmark at 22%.
By contrast UK house prices rose by just 2%, while prices in Germany actually dropped by 2%.

Nice chart at the bottom of the article showing the UK at the bottom of the league table--almost. Germany dropping the fastest--poor 'ol Dogbox?

Edited by Realistbear

I just bought in Tallinn before Christmas and the prices seemed to be going up daily! We are relocating our business from the UK and Belgium to Estonia in 2007 because of their 20% flat tax. You'll see alot more of this flight to low tax regimes as old Europe collapses under the weight of trying to finance its social model.

Why is this on the BBC news? It isn't really news is it!

Trying to keep the euphoria about HPI going? Me thinks so.

I just bought in Tallinn before Christmas and the prices seemed to be going up daily! We are relocating our business from the UK and Belgium to Estonia in 2007 because of their 20% flat tax. You'll see alot more of this flight to low tax regimes as old Europe collapses under the weight of trying to finance its social model.

My 2 top location tips for the last year have been Germany and Estonia. I starting to think I should have plumped for Estonia instead of Germany :o

How complex is it to buy in Estonia?

Estonia has been my second tip as I am under the impression regulation is foreigner freindly (property all on a central register), the workforce and emphasis is very high tech, the Government is very business freindly etc.

I found it quite easy. I did retain a local lawyer to act for me but that seemed like money well spent in a foreign country. Also, I was a cash buyer, I'm not sure how hard it would be to get a mortgage - although interest rates are only 3.1%. You also need a notary to close the sales contract, but overall it was easy compared to my last property purchase in Belgium.

Estonia does a have a very pro-business, low tax environment and you can see the foreign investment just flooding in.Looking forward to writing my last cheque to Gordon Brown and scrawling F&CK OFF on the back of it.

Why is this on the BBC news? It isn't really news is it!

Trying to keep the euphoria about HPI going? Me thinks so.

IMHO, the BBC are working closely with Gordon Brown (is the Director General a close friend of Gordon??) to try to steer public opinion away from any suggestion that house prices are dropping. They know how easy it is to start a panic. If you look at the US market some sectors are in freefall as the newspapers freely print what they see happening. We lack a true independent voice with enough clout to spook the herd. The Telegraph may be all we have in our corner.

+ 13% health insurance. so 33% overall. So at which point are you better off under this system?

I make the point at which you are better off under the estonian system £70,100 PA

= Not good for the vast majority of people.

Edited by TimG

My 2 top location tips for the last year have been Germany and Estonia. I starting to think I should have plumped for Estonia instead of Germany :o

Estonia has been my second tip as I am under the impression regulation is foreigner freindly (property all on a central register), the workforce and emphasis is very high tech, the Government is very business freindly etc.

With the greatest respect, Dogbox. You come here and quite often spout out these (mostly, but not always!) ridiculous stereotypes about "bears will never buy" "bears over-analyse the situation, and never make a decision..." blah blah blah....

You appear to be the exact opposite of what you accuse posters on here to be.

On the surface, your investment strategy is very much like a chicken with its head cut off. Dashing to and fro with little evidence of much forethought.

Ah - but it's all down to "feeling" isn't it....

Anyone got the number for Mystic Meg?

:lol: