House Price Crash Forum

Rightmove Floatation

bts

HOLA441

it is with some fascination that i see that the rightmove valuation is now over 400 million pounds. in a market where there is significant competition from the likes of propertyfinder.com, primelocation.com and findaproperty.co.uk, how easy will it be for rightmove to maintain its postion in the market?

i hear that an estate agent can get a listings package from propertyfinder.com for only 100 pounds.

perhaps this is just the internet bubble all over again?

HOLA442

it is with some fascination that i see that the rightmove valuation is now over 400 million pounds. in a market where there is significant competition from the likes of propertyfinder.com, primelocation.com and findaproperty.co.uk, how easy will it be for rightmove to maintain its postion in the market?

i hear that an estate agent can get a listings package from propertyfinder.com for only 100 pounds.

perhaps this is just the internet bubble all over again?

Quite so - and just what the Times suggested about the Rightmove floatation last Friday.

HOLA443

I reckon that their reputation(goodwill) must take up a sizeable proportion of that valuation. They are a self-styled "leading indicator" of the housing market. I personally believe it to be a load of marketing tosh. Anyone who has read the pinned thread should have grave doubts.

But unfortunately the media seem all too ready to give them credit.

HOLA444

They are being valued as if the first mover advantage cannot be challenged (eg Amazon cos you can't replicate their distribution network).

The barrier to entry is the awareness that their advertising to date has created. Advertising is a lot cheaper than a physical distribution network.

All it would take is a major retailer / bank to take them on, invest the cash and they are finished. Or a consortium of banks and estate agents.

Or even just estate agents trying to cut costs go elsewhere to a clone site.

I smell a pump and dump. Their vulnerable economics must make them a prime candidates to be shorted as soon as the post flotation froth dies down?