House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Badger

Ski Trip Anecdotal

Just back from snowboarding in Meribel with an interesting cross section of chaps HPC-wise.

One is the son of a man who owns dozens of newspapers - he is convinced we are in recession or entering it because advertising revenue is way down, particularly in situations vacant.

Another who said his job was 'deciding whether to lend companies money or not' clammed up when I asked him about what he 'thought of the state of the economy, screwed?' and mumbled about it being too early (maybe it was - 5am at gatwick.)

The third had just bought his first place at age 39 but couldn't afford to modernise as all his savings had gone into the purchase.

Incidentally the group was the smallest ever - 5 of us I just said it was cos no-ones got any money anymore, murmurs of consent all round.

Edited by Badger

I have a lot of contacts in recruitment agencies and they are all busy and the idea of advertising jobs in the press is now completely alien to them. Online advertising rules the roost in recruitment.

A few high street stores may be struggling along with manufacturers who can never beat China but overall things in the UK aren't that bad, hence the surprise rise in the service sector recently which lets not forget accounts for 70% of our economy.

Rates will rise sooner than you think.

if you ever complain about green/environment issues ill have ya over a barrel'.

Ironic that the ski reps out there notice environment change more acutely than the rest of us - guys who have been doing it 20 years notice it just doesn't snow like it used to in the mountains, because of the hordes of people flying there every year for the snow in the first place.

I've got a ski trip anecdotal too.

I organised a trip this year and got 11 people together to cut costs. (Off next week, whehey!) We all paid our deposits and then the time came to pay the balance so I sent out the reminder emails. A couple of days later the ski company phoned me and said that they were going to have to charge us a 3% surcharge because so many different credit cards had been used. How many? 20! Bearing in mind I paid for mine and my wife's on my 1 (debit) card that leaves 20 CCs for 9 people!

Talk about maxed out on credit!

I'm 39 so clocking on a bit now!! but I have been visiting the alps for many years (use to be a ski instuctor). I was 14 when I first went skiing and one resort had a a fantastic glacier, you could ski in the summer, now the glacier has rapidly decreased and there is no more summer skiing. Its such a shame but climate change is really with us!

Lou

I've got a ski trip anecdotal too.

I organised a trip this year and got 11 people together to cut costs. (Off next week, whehey!) We all paid our deposits and then the time came to pay the balance so I sent out the reminder emails. A couple of days later the ski company phoned me and said that they were going to have to charge us a 3% surcharge because so many different credit cards had been used. How many? 20! Bearing in mind I paid for mine and my wife's on my 1 (debit) card that leaves 20 CCs for 9 people!

Have fun - loads of snow in 3 valleys area.

I also noticed a list of companies the ski hire shops weren't to do business with, though that's fairly normal I guess.

Guest horace

A couple of days later the ski company phoned me and said that they were going to have to charge us a 3% surcharge because so many different credit cards had been used. How many? 20! Bearing in mind I paid for mine and my wife's on my 1 (debit) card that leaves 20 CCs for 9 people!

Sounds as if they are on the slippery slope!

horace :lol:

A couple of days later the ski company phoned me and said that they were going to have to charge us a 3% surcharge because so many different credit cards had been used. How many? 20! Bearing in mind I paid for mine and my wife's on my 1 (debit) card that leaves 20 CCs for 9 people!

Sounds as if they are on the slippery slope!

horace :lol:

Must..resist...the..puns..it's..snow...use..aaargh

Guest horace

American Express, Sir? That'll do icely.

American Express, yes, go as fast as you like.

horace

Badger - can you explain what you mean? I don't get it.... :unsure:

The companies listed were probably small tour operators gone/going out of business - so if the shops lent out ski hire gear hoping to get paid by them - they might not actually ever receive it.

Have fun - loads of snow in 3 valleys area.

I also noticed a list of companies the ski hire shops weren't to do business with, though that's fairly normal I guess.

:lol::lol: I thought it might turn into a pun fest!

Cool, yes off to Val Thorens - the highest of the 3. (Didn't want to risk it what with the old global warming and everything) :)

Actually. It does make sense to book it on the credit card if the tour company is likely to go out of business (Not sure if it helps booking it on 5 though :blink: )

Just back from snowboarding in Meribel with an interesting cross section of chaps HPC-wise.

I was boarding in La Tania. Popped over to your valley on that dull blue.

Wicked conditions though. On friday it made no difference off piste or on.

Nice