House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Come On Down

Uk Stores Face Spending 'squeeze'

This is the type of economics that really annoys me:

"Reports of a recovery in the housing market have yet to work through to the big-ticket categories, which have been depressed for the past 15 months."

WTF is that supposed to mean? Can't they realise that people just don't have any money left?

WTF is that supposed to mean? Can't they realise that people just don't have any money left?

Do they not also realise that people should not automatically reach for their wallets and spend, spend, spend just because their house is supposedly rising in value...

If the housing market ploughed on at 10% a year increases forever, as a homeowner you don't get any richer unless you sell... after 50 years you would still just own a house.

Now if you take the BBCs advice and spend everytime the house prices increase (via MEW) then you would probably not even own the house after 50 years.

Idiots.

How much of the market is BTL / straight speculation and flipping - just how many "big ticket" items are they going to buy? Sod all for most of them, maybe a bit of magnolia paint.

"
Reports of a recovery in the housing market have yet to work through to the big-ticket categories, which have been depressed for the past 15 months

I like the way they use the word "Reports" say . . . . .

The BBC getting a little savvy and quoting VIs rather than adopting their spin.

The reason the high street is crashing is that confidence in ever rising house prices is gone. MEWers realize that the bank has run out of free money and that payback time may be around the corner. Can you smell the fear?

This is propaganda. Trying to pump in the idea that you have to "do up" your house whenever you buy a new one. New Bathroom, New kitchen, new this. I think thats what they mean. They obviously think that people have enough money left after buying a house to do this sort of thing. :lol::lol:

In the three months to February sales growth slowed to 0.9%, down from 1.1% in the three months to January.

So they sold more than a year ago, moaning about rising sales, my heart bleeds boo-hoo!

You would think from the tone of the article that spending had fallen dramatically. I really hope that most of the boe committee (nickell excepted) are not stupid enough to fall for that nonsense.

The BBC getting a little savvy and quoting VIs rather than adopting their spin.

What does VI mean? I keep seeing it used here but I have no idea what it is! Sorry for being thick!!

What does VI mean? I keep seeing it used here but I have no idea what it is! Sorry for being thick!!

VI = VESTED INTEREST.

well not toolong ago people DID buy a reasonable house (say 2001) and then they DID buy additional big ticket things. washing machines, tvs carpets. not anymore.

but after being hit very hard on insane HPI there is simply nothing left but overtime to do.

this has been a disaster of a financial policy. thats going to come home to roost no matter what the spin.

the extra £80k thats on the average £160 semi has to come from somewhere.

and thats out fo the high street into the speculators.

well not toolong ago people DID buy a reasonable house (say 2001) and then they DID buy additional big ticket things. washing machines, tvs carpets. not anymore.

but after being hit very hard on insane HPI there is simply nothing left but overtime to do.

this has been a disaster of a financial policy. thats going to come home to roost no matter what the spin.

the extra £80k thats on the average £160 semi has to come from somewhere.

and thats out fo the high street into the speculators.

Fred, exactly my sentiment. It doesn't take a brain surgeon or a rocket scientist to see this, does it?

Apparently Valentines day was good.

Maybe they should intriduce a "help the struggling retailer" day where they can inflate their profit margins to 200% and sell to you on credit @ 20%

My mum used to be a machinist in the 80s. She'd get paid by the piece which would average out at around 25p per piece. The item of clothing would end up in a high street store for around £20 - £30 quid.

Its pretty much the same nowadays. You can go to a warehouse in Manchester and buy womens clothes for a £5 and have them priced up at £40. The profit margins are huge, so don't cry for these retailers becasue they've been ripping you off for years.

Apparently Valentines day was good.

Maybe they should intriduce a "help the struggling retailer" day where they can inflate their profit margins to 200% and sell to you on credit @ 20%

My mum used to be a machinist in the 80s. She'd get paid by the piece which would average out at around 25p per piece. The item of clothing would end up in a high street store for around £20 - £30 quid.

Its pretty much the same nowadays. You can go to a warehouse in Manchester and buy womens clothes for a £5 and have them priced up at £40. The profit margins are huge, so don't cry for these retailers becasue they've been ripping you off for years.

Very true.

The rate on inflation of clothes has only been restrained by what idiots have been prepared to pay, and as MEW has flowed into the retailers they haven't shown much restraint in raising their prices and milking it.

I think that a shakedown of the clothing retailers, and the return of genuine competition and low margins would be a very good thing. Its happened in electrical retailing in part due to internet sales. Now its the turn of the clothing retailers... hopefully due to the MEW taps being turned half off.