House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
50:50

No Heating And Hot Water

Out heating and hot water decided to start playing up last week. The landlord sent a plumber round to fix it but all he did was brake it completely and now we have no hot water or heating at all. Although the landlord is making an effort to fix the problem I dont think the plumber that is trying to fix the boiler knows what he is doing (hes already been round 3 times last week before finally breaking the system compeletely on Friday).

Does anyone know what options I have to get the problem sorted out more quickly? The house is now bloody freezing and not having hot water is causing real problems too!!!

Tell the landlord that the plumber he's sending is useless, the LL isn't going to want to keep wasting money on some guy who can't do the job.

Apart from that there isn't much you can do but wait unless it goes on for more than a few days.

A fan heater costs about £15 which should do as a stopgap measure, good to have one in winter anyway because central heating isn't always enough. Most (but not all) hot water tanks also have an electric immersion heater as back up.

Tell the landlord that the plumber he's sending is useless, the LL isn't going to want to keep wasting money on some guy who can't do the job.

Apart from that there isn't much you can do but wait unless it goes on for more than a few days.

A fan heater costs about £15 which should do as a stopgap measure, good to have one in winter anyway because central heating isn't always enough. Most (but not all) hot water tanks also have an electric immersion heater as back up.

Thanks for the advice. I've already got a fan heater but I live in a large house and its not really up to the job in this cold weather. There's no hot water tank either as the water is heated on demand by the boiler so basically were screwed.

If you wanted to push it, speak to Environmental Health. However, as your landlord is clearly trying to resolve the issue, this isn't a great idea as it will harm tenant/landlord relations. As suggested above, speak to him, tell him the plumber is crap basically, and hopefully he will sort it.

Slightly off topic, but.....how many people here have hot water that does get too hot to touch after being on for a little while?? I recently had an argument with someone on another forum about it, as they said they were going to complain that the hot water was "too hot", but haveing personally lived in many different properties, all of them the hot water was always scalding. Just a show of hands please :)

Slightly off topic, but.....how many people here have hot water that does get too hot to touch after being on for a little while?? I recently had an argument with someone on another forum about it, as they said they were going to complain that the hot water was "too hot", but haveing personally lived in many different properties, all of them the hot water was always scalding. Just a show of hands please :)

The hot water is never that hot in our house. I think modern boilers have systems to restrict the maximum temperature of the hot water while older systems can heat the water to almost boiling.

Edited by 50:50

The hot water is never that hot in our house. I think modern boilers have systems to restrict the maximum temperature of the hot water while older systems can heat the water to almost boiling.

When our (landlords) combi boiler was playing up, a quick search of the d-i-y forums revealed that there was an engineering function when a certain sequence of buttons on the panel was depressed, a bit like hacking codes to make a Region 2 DVD player multi-region.

Allowed me to up the max temp.

IF YOUR LANDLORD IS UNWILLING TO RECTIFY THE SITUATION, REPORT HIM TO THE LOCAL COUNCIL, THEY WILL ASSESS YOUR LIVING CONDITIONS AND IF THEY INADEQUATE HE COULD BE TAKEN TO COURT

IF YOUR LANDLORD IS UNWILLING TO RECTIFY THE SITUATION, REPORT HIM TO THE LOCAL COUNCIL, THEY WILL ASSESS YOUR LIVING CONDITIONS AND IF THEY INADEQUATE HE COULD BE TAKEN TO COURT

Its ok, it was all sorted in the end. The land lord was very apologetic but I did suggest that in future he might want to use a different plumber.