House Price Crash Forum
mercenarul

I Have Been Out Looking At Houses This Weekend

Saw several properties this weekend and some last weekend too. Seems to me that the market is about 90% kite flyers at the moment. Most sellers are not that bothered if they sell or not. It would be nice to sell, but if we dont get our stupidly hight asking price then we will wait is the attitude. People are buying and a lot of FTB's with money are looking. Most seem to be smart and everyone is after a bargin. When a good house comes on at a good price, it is sold within days. Otherwise they sit for ever, not selling.

I now always make a point of asking if they had any offers and what their situation is. When they tell me they turned down an offer of £175K on a £180K house, I just leave without even taking any intrest in the rest of the house. I now really hate time wasters like these.

I think maybe I should go and push HPC adverts through their letterboxes, leave it a week and then visit.

First time buyers won't be the ones in need of buying when IRs rise, and Japans monetary policy tightens

causing lenders to tighten. Some OO's will need to sell then!

Japan could just be the trigger we've been waiting for!

We have alot of Triggers lined up, and ready to be 'pulled'

New landlord regulation and registration

Japan

HIPS

Edited by moosetea

Bigger list??

New landlord regulation and registration

Japan

HIPS

Credit tightening

Increase Credit costs

EU Rate rise

Increased inflation / cost of living

Increasing Debt

Increasing Bankruptcy

Absolutely. These new landlord deposit regulations I feel will make a big impact. Most LL I know seem to rely on that deposit. Now they have to hand it over.

The house opposite me is for sale. came up this weekend at £335,000. Seen a few driveby's and one visit from a couple in an S reg fiesta.

I don't want to come over all snobbish, but a car does tell you something about a person.

When they tell me they turned down an offer of £175K on a £180K house, I just leave without even taking any intrest in the rest of the house. I now really hate time wasters like these.

Well it made me laugh anyway. :D

Homeowner advertises house at price x.

Potential purchaser views house with NO INTENTION of purchasing property at price x.

Time wasting indeed ;-)

Saw several properties this weekend and some last weekend too. Seems to me that the market is about 90% kite flyers at the moment. Most sellers are not that bothered if they sell or not. It would be nice to sell, but if we dont get our stupidly hight asking price then we will wait is the attitude. People are buying and a lot of FTB's with money are looking. Most seem to be smart and everyone is after a bargin. When a good house comes on at a good price, it is sold within days. Otherwise they sit for ever, not selling.

I now always make a point of asking if they had any offers and what their situation is. When they tell me they turned down an offer of £175K on a £180K house, I just leave without even taking any intrest in the rest of the house. I now really hate time wasters like these.

I think maybe I should go and push HPC adverts through their letterboxes, leave it a week and then visit.

Can I ask what evidence you have in relation to the comments made regarding FTBs?

Agreed…….There are one hell of a number of Kite flyers out there.

My example, asked EA to line up visit. They knew I had no property to sell, so I asked if the vender could be willing to negotiate (they must have asked the question whilst arranging viewing).

Awaiting phone call to visit property, it came back with the message OK. This time / date etc meet you there, but the vender’s circumstances had change, and that they were in “no rush” to sell, willing to wait for an offer very close to the asking price.

Guess what I told them to do with there viewing.

I don't want to come over all snobbish, but a car does tell you something about a person.

I have a battered P reg Rover 214 - you wouldn't think I had any money looking at my car!!

Well it made me laugh anyway. :D

Potential purchaser views house with NO INTENTION of purchasing property at price x.

Time wasting indeed ;-)

I'll expand on that a bit more for you then. Purchaser sees a house advertised at price X, goes and views it, only to find it has features/ problems which do not make it worth x. Buyer may still be happy to buy at a lower price. Seller is not interested. When houses are priced compettitively then they sell quickly. When they are priced too high for what they(90% on the market now) are, they never sell. That is the point I want to make.

Can I ask what evidence you have in relation to the comments made regarding FTBs?

2 houses I saw which were well priced, had a lot of viewings and intrest in the first weekend they were on the market. One sold the next week. I think the other will sell this week. All other houses I looked at have been on the market for ages. These viewings are usually conducted by a dejected looking owner or the youngest employee of the agent who has no selling skills, knows nothing about the house and has just been sent there to open the door for you.

Well it made me laugh anyway. biggrin.gif

Time wasting indeed ;-)

I'll expand on that a bit more for you then. Purchaser sees a house advertised at price X, goes and views it, only to find it has features/ problems which do not make it worth x. Buyer may still be happy to buy at a lower price. Seller is not interested. When houses are priced compettitively then they sell quickly. When they are priced too high for what they(90% on the market now) are, they never sell. That is the point I want to make.

Even without the features/problems, is it not normal to make an offer?

Billy Shears

Edited by BillyShears

Proves I am wrong

Not necessarily, just that you can't assume. I'm driving my car til it conks out. Then I'll buy something

for under 5K. I could buy a Porsche outright, but I ain't spending my future house money.

Seen a few driveby's and one visit from a couple in an S reg fiesta.

I strongly disagree.

Many people I know with 'flash' BMWs etc are earning a lot less than me and dont invest any money.

In fact the real wealthy people in my rural area are often to be seen driving thier T reg Volvo's or old Diahatsu jeeps.

Absolutely. These new landlord deposit regulations I feel will make a big impact. Most LL I know seem to rely on that deposit. Now they have to hand it over.

The house opposite me is for sale. came up this weekend at £335,000. Seen a few driveby's and one visit from a couple in an S reg fiesta.

Tells you nothing. I could buy that house for cash but I would probably view it in my son's 10 year old banger - which I drive all the time because it is a lot more fun than my boring Lexus.

I strongly disagree.

Many people I know with 'flash' BMWs etc are earning a lot less than me and dont invest any money.

In fact the real wealthy people in my rural area are often to be seen driving thier T reg Volvo's or old Diahatsu jeeps.

It's strange isn't it. Of the people I know, the value of the car they drive seems to inversely correlate to their wealth.

In a consumer society it seems to be more important to look rich than to be rich.

what it tells you they bought there car cash for cash and they understand that driving around in an expensive depreciating asset is financial madness.

if only i could spell

Edited by lowrentyieldmakessense(honest!)

It's strange isn't it. Of the people I know, the value of the car they drive seems to inversely correlate to their wealth.

In a consumer society it seems to be more important to look rich than to be rich.

Take my Accountant; He has a BMW 5 series, which he finances through his business to the tune of £500 pcm plus insurance etc.

Thats £60000 over 10 years, £180000 over 30 years JUST FOR THE FINANCE (lease purchase) and he doesnt even own the thing!

Imagine what £180000 would be worth if investedover 30 years!!!!!

Seen a few driveby's and one visit from a couple in an S reg fiesta.

Really? Me and Mrs Europa make around £80K pa between us, and drive an £800 M-reg Volvo

I strongly disagree.

I win. I turn up to viewings in my 13-year-old Golf, which is battered and bruised and is the perfect London car. The last thing I want people to think as we enter into a negotiation is that I may be well to do.

There's the old saying about getting rich by not painting your house...

Edited by aussieboy

Really? Me and Mrs Europa make around £80K pa between us, and drive an £800 M-reg Volvo

Yes.

I cant afford a £40000 car until I have repaid mortgage, have at least £500000 in liquid assets (ie excluding house), and earn over £150000 pa.

So many people on £40k think they can afford a £30000+ car, what a joke!

The sad thing is most people judge by visible chattels. I could move to a more expensive house but I choose not to.

So many people on £40k think they can afford a £30000+ car, what a joke!

The sad thing is most people judge by visible chattels. I could move to a more expensive house but I choose not to.

Fair dos!!

I heard someone on here quote:

Why buy things you don't need to impress people you don't like, with money you don't have!