House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

London Chamber Of Commerce Statement Issued

http://www.londonchamber.co.uk/lcc_public/...643&st=&oaid=-1

AVIAN ‘FLU PANDEMIC WOULD LEAVE ONE IN FIVE FIRMS UNABLE TO PAY THEIR BILLS – LONDON CHAMBER OF COMMERCE SURVEY

More than a fifth of firms do not have sufficient working capital in place to enable them to survive an outbreak of avian 'flu lasting 12 weeks - the typical length of time which a pandemic lasts.
LCCI president Michael Cassidy said: "This is not scaremongering by the LCCI. Thinking ahead is the best way of tackling this type of threat. Running out of cash through lack of fore-thought is the swiftest way to insolvency, particularly with smaller businesses."
"This is a worrying outcome of our survey which should be treated as a wake-up call for business leaders."
Britain has a high vulnerability to the spread of avian flu once it has mutated to the human form, because of our dense population and international links. So readiness to deal with its consequences should have high priority in business planning. This survey shows that much still needs to be done to avoid the most obvious threats of such an eventuality."

So how does this affect House Prices? The repercussions on employment, business confidence and bank rates will be devastating. IMHO, it is a given that we have a coming pandemic and I have to agree with the LCCI that this is NOT scaremongering. The biological threat is real, it happened before.

http://investing.reuters.co.uk/news/newsAr..._UK-BIRDFLU.xml

REUTERS NEWSFLASH

WARSAW (Reuters) - Avian flu extended its spread across Europe as Poland confirmed on Monday that two dead swans had the virulent H5N1 virus and Austria reported that several cats had been infected.
The virus is currently spreading rapidly among wild birds and has reached 15 new countries over the past month, moving across Europe and also hitting Egypt and West Africa.
Austria said the H5N1 virus has been found in several cats in the southern region of Styria, a rural area which has reported outbreaks of the virus in wild swans and ducks. A dead cat in northern Germany was found to have the virus last week.

Speaking about dead cats, Spring is fast approaching . . .

Hearse10.jpg

i think if there was a huge outbreak, a business would be my last interest.

not even a funeral parlour????????????????????

....stonemason???...headstones will be rocketing in price!!!

....I'm kinda tempted to set up an EASY-HEARSE franchise!!!!!

post-1056-1141674291.jpg

Hearse10.jpg

not even a funeral parlour????????????????????

....stonemason???...headstones will be rocketing in price!!!

....I'm kinda tempted to set up an EASY-HEARSE franchise!!!!!

One of my nephews signed up to dispose of the animals following the BSE outbreak--he was paid 15 knicker an hour. Problem is that he is still suffering from PTSS (post traumatic shock syndrome) and may have a lifetime of depression to deal with. If Bird Flu does turn into a pandemic the best investment-wise may be body bags and gas masks--the surgical masks the Japs like to wear are apparently not good enough.

I agree with fred, if there is a pandemic the last thing even cold hearted bankers will be concerned about is bills being paid. The 'flu will not worry about whether you are rich or poor.

Having said that, there is evidence that the Black Death of the 17th. Century mainly affected the poor because those with cash were able to move to the countryside. No doubt Artic Circle islands will then become much in demand this time.

One of my nephews signed up to dispose of the animals following the BSE outbreak--he was paid 15 knicker an hour. Problem is that he is still suffering from PTSS (post traumatic shock syndrome) and may have a lifetime of depression to deal with. If Bird Flu does turn into a pandemic the best investment-wise may be body bags and gas masks--the surgical masks the Japs like to wear are apparently not good enough.

He was massively underpaid. Some of those involved were earning £70 per hour.