House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pensive

Taking Time Out

We have been given notice to leave our rented house at the end of the month. We haven't signed up for another property as we were needed to look after a family member who is undergoing chemo. She's sorted now so we could take some time out.

We are self employed foster carers so job wise can take an extended break.

Financially we have enough to pay for our stuff to be stored etc and to live albeit cheaply.

We've been through a very stressful period and need to recharge our batteries.

We have a caravan.

Any ideas?

At the moment it's a chioce between taking the caravan to Scotland ( we've never been there) or backpacking in Costa Rica!

We have been given notice to leave our rented house at the end of the month. We haven't signed up for another property as we were needed to look after a family member who is undergoing chemo. She's sorted now so we could take some time out.

We are self employed foster carers so job wise can take an extended break.

Financially we have enough to pay for our stuff to be stored etc and to live albeit cheaply.

We've been through a very stressful period and need to recharge our batteries.

We have a caravan.

Any ideas?

At the moment it's a chioce between taking the caravan to Scotland ( we've never been there) or backpacking in Costa Rica!

My MIL retired in Costa Rica. I have been 6 (+-) times. I'd think Scotland would be cold this time of year. I think it's clear what I would chose. I'd skip San Jose (unless you like crime and poverity) and fly right into Liberia. Playa Tamarindo, (and don't let the dirt road scare you, it's better than most of the paved ones) and Arenal Volcano are 2 must sees. Try to get the Tico price when you pay for Motels etc.

Feel free to PM me anytime if you want more info.

I'm writing this from Bocas de Toro, a little town in Panama, near the Costa Rican border. Like you I needed some time out, so here I am in Central America. Do it - but I would heavily, heavily recommend that you by-pass CR and head for Nicaragua or here, Panama. In my opinion it's head and shoulders better and so, so much cheaper. Also far fewer tourists and all the hassles that go with that.

If you want some ideas, check my blog at http://noddage.blogspot.com

I´m in Colobia now, and it´s even better. Better than Nicaragua, and far, far better than Costa Rica. Hard to imagine why anyone goes there.

Also, I´m away from the global property bubble at last. All through central america every other tree had a ´for sale´ (se vende) sign on it. Everything was for sale and the place was full of americans (as in yanks) looking for investment opportunities. Down here things are much more relaxed. Met an English teacher earning about 2,000 dollars a month and paying 200 for a huge luxurious flat right in the heart of the trendy centre of the city. Including bills and maid.

http://noddage.blogspot.com

My opinion, take an extended tour around Scotland its highlands, coasts, and esp the isles - you will never forget it.

I´m in Colobia now, and it´s even better. Better than Nicaragua, and far, far better than Costa Rica. Hard to imagine why anyone goes there.

Also, I´m away from the global property bubble at last. All through central america every other tree had a ´for sale´ (se vende) sign on it. Everything was for sale and the place was full of americans (as in yanks) looking for investment opportunities. Down here things are much more relaxed. Met an English teacher earning about 2,000 dollars a month and paying 200 for a huge luxurious flat right in the heart of the trendy centre of the city. Including bills and maid.

I hate to ask a stupid question BUT, do you feel safe in Columbia? Ya know, drug lords etc!

People always ask me that about Costa Rica and the answer is yes I feel safe. In fact, theft is a real problem in Costa Rica (find a safe for your passport) B) , I feel my personial safety is better in Costa Rica. Well there was this one time in San Jose. We were stuck in traffic, and this bum was walking arossed the street towards our car. No one said a word, but you heard all 4 doors lock w/i 1/2 a sec. :lol::lol::lol:

shaker, I've always wanted to do the Scotland thing...It'll happen some day.

My opinion, take an extended tour around Scotland its highlands, coasts, and esp the isles - you will never forget it.

I'm with shaker on this one.

The Highlands and Isles are truly breathtaking.

I drove up there some months back and was truly awe struck by the place.

I've been to Glasgow and Edinburgh and Aberdeeen quite a bit....but once you get into the Highlands it really is another country. I envy the people lucky enough to live up there.

I would suggest driving a few hundred miles from your front door for something that you'll never forget.

Isn't Costa Rica where all the yanks go on their holidays?

A bit like the Costa Del Lager lout?

I'm probably wrong.

NDL

No, that's Disneyland/world. B);)

Yes, there are a lot of Yanks/Canucks/Europeans in Costa Rica. But a suprising number of Yanks have never left the country. Part of it is just the size. I can drive 600 miles in any direction, and the closest I get to "out of the country" is out in the Pacific.

Last time I was at Tamarindo, there were more French than Yanks.

Colombia feels very safe - but I´ve only been in Bogota so far. Talking to other travellers who´ve been around the country, there doesn´t seem to be too many problems at the moment - things are changing quickly here, politically speaking. There´s lots of rumours about ceasefires in the offing. Besides which, the guerillas don´t tend to target backpackers. I certainly felt more hassled and under-threat in Costa Rica. People don´t see dollar signs over your head here.

So, yes, without reservation, I would recommend Colombia. You can zip round the country on cheap flights, or the buses aren´t too bad, considering the distances. And there´s a lot of amazing things to see here. Soon, I think, this will be the latest ´hot´destination and the prices will rocket.

Even just for a city break, Bogota is worth a try. Tomorrow, for example, I´m going to see a Jamiroquai concert, then there´s the opening of a big arts festival and on Saturday a party down an abandoned salt mine just outside town.

Oh, and beer is about 20p per bottle, and, if you smoke, fags are about 50p. All in all, I´m living the high life on about ten quid a day.

Yes, I´d love to tour Scotland some day, but it´s just the expense of day-to-day living that puts me off at the moment.