House Price Crash Forum

Phil Spencer Speaks Out

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
"The fresh market cycle we anticipated is without doubt upon us. Conditions are changing rapidly throughout the country..."

The VIs have not yet accepted there has been a downturn (-1% YoY is not a downturn, -30% is) so it makes no sense when they claim that there is a "fresh market cycle." The business cycle encompasses a boom followed by a bust in the case of highly speculative assets such as houses in the UK context. We have just had 5 or 6 years of BOOM. The next part of the cycle is not more boom but BUST.

Conditions are indeed changing throughout the country as the Land registry figures demonstrate. My area is down 6% in the last Q. My old area (Guildford-Godalming) is down 7% in the last Q. Most certainly a change given the rise in the first 3 Qs.

Edited by Realistbear

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
Moving house is the biggest personal financial commitment most people make - you need the best advice you can find

Combined with: -

Conditions are changing rapidly throughout the country and the market now firmly favours sellers. Shortages of stock combined with dramatic uplifts in demand are resulting in price increases across all market sectors.

Good advice?

He must be correct, because i went into an estate agents yesterday & they havent a house for sale, such is the shortage of property across all sectors......

HOLA449

I hope he keeps spinning. The effect will be as follows:

2006 Phil Spencer: "Fresh market cycle".

2006 prices fall 5%

2007 Phil Spencer: "Fresh market cycle".

2007 prices fall 5%

2008 Phil Spencer: "Fresh market cycle".

2008 prices fall 5%

2009 Phil Spencer is out of a job and nobody believes what he says.

frugalista

HOLA4410

I'm sure his undprecedented knowledge of housing market activity relates to finding 1 and 2 bed flats for all those key workers?

Of course not, it relates to a different world of multi-million pound homes, found for rich bankers and foreign buyers.

Take it for what it is - there's a lot a city and foreign money sloshing around the top end of the market.

Anyway, I do recall an episode on Relocation x2 (yeah yeah - my wife insists) where when in a sealed bid, Spencers buyers put in £600k bid for a £425k guide price and won . When it was subsequently found the next bid was only just over £425k, obviously Spencers buyers pulled out.

Wow - it must be that in depth market knowledge and strategy his clients are paying for.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

"...but in today’s market it will be people who operate within it on a daily basis, who will offer the best advice - they are the ones who actually ‘feel’ the market fluctuate."

As I understand it, it take about 6 weeks to settle a real estate purchase. Thats an awful lot of time when the action is happening daily.

Appeals to:

A. the fight or flight reflex (don't watch, don't learn, the whole thing is about reflexes)

B. The authoritarian personality (trust your money to an expert spinner)

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
2009 Phil Spencer is out of a job and nobody believes what he says.

whats he going to be doing by then when his credibity has gone ?

im trying to think of a past example when someone who was supposed to be big and clever fell over flat and what happened to them ?

that austrailian guy with the guar gum who married sam fox. cant remember his name - ahh yes. peter foster ? no this ones better...clive sinclair...??

HOLA4416

whats he going to be doing by then when his credibity has gone ?

He could always re-enlist. Think there's a manpower shortage in the armed forces at the moment?

im trying to think of a past example when someone who was supposed to be big and clever fell over flat and what happened to them ?

"Downfall" was on Channel 4 last week so I'm tempted to suggest Adolf Hitler. Probably not quite who you've got in mind though. How about Jeffrey Archer?

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I just cannot explain how angry i get everytime i hear this man or his stupid bint of a side kick, on a really bad day i am just gratefull they are not in the same room as me.

WHAT IS SO GREAT ABOUT HOUSE PRICE INFLATION.

This is capitalism at it's worse, who does it serve but those that have already.

It's like shouting yippeee our young familys cannot afford homes, and we buying them all up and sticking our fingers up at them, Vukgar nasty little people, how dare Krusty put us down, she is the greedy little devils posh spawn.

Sam

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Anyway, I do recall an episode on Relocation x2 (yeah yeah - my wife insists) where when in a sealed bid, Spencers buyers put in £600k bid for a £425k guide price and won . When it was subsequently found the next bid was only just over £425k, obviously Spencers buyers pulled out.

Wow - it must be that in depth market knowledge and strategy his clients are paying for.

I was surprised they showed that episode.

It made Kirstie and Phil look like the complete idiots they are.

HOLA4422

I was surprised they showed that episode.

It made Kirstie and Phil look like the complete idiots they are.

Am I the only one who thinks that all this 'home search' business is a load of nonsense? A bit like all these upmarket 'concierge' companies which have sprung up.

Particularly if they're as worful as those two. I've got a bright idea, let's pay 180k over the odds for a house. The mistake was only found out by a complete fluke, if memory serves.