House Price Crash Forum
better-than-expected

Come On Let's Get A Spokesperson On Radio 2?

I listen to Radio 2 every day at work and am constantly annoyed at the twaddle Jeremy Vine has on his show of late, the best being an hour long discussion about elastic bands dropped by the postman.

Anyway, wouldn't it be good if JV had a discussion about house prices encompassing salary multiples and the fraud issue of self certification etc you know the sort of thing.

I have emailed the jeremy vine show suggesting that they run a story on this subject but as i said above it would be good if this site could get a spokesperson on the show, anyone????????

What you have to remember, Neo, is that most of the people you see around here are not yet ready to be "unplugged".

:P

Guest muttley

I listen to Radio 2 every day at work and am constantly annoyed at the twaddle Jeremy Vine has on his show of late, the best being an hour long discussion about elastic bands dropped by the postman.

I heard that one and thought exactly the same.

They also did organ transplants for pets.

As for a discussion about HPC...it is the beeb you know.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

It`s the same with the phone in shows, 90% of the callers cannot string a sentence together. :D

Guest muttley

I e-mailed the Vine show ages ago and got no reply.

You have to realise that the British public don't want to hear that their "investment" might devalue in the coming years.If we turn out to be right and house prices tank, do you think OOs will be logging on here and telling us how clever we all were.B0llocks

We're misanthropists,that's what we are.

There is no polite way of telling someone that their house is worth less,or that they have a fat @rse.

Edited by muttley

Anyway, wouldn't it be good if JV had a discussion about house prices encompassing salary multiples and the fraud issue of self certification etc you know the sort of thing.

I have emailed the jeremy vine show suggesting that they run a story on this subject but as i said above it would be good if this site could get a spokesperson on the show, anyone????????

I have been listening to vine for some time now, and really struggle to work out which planet some of his callers are coming from :lol: Trouble is you will get your wish now, and I bet he will have a property 'expert' on the show to offer lovely un-biased advice - so you had better nominate someone quick :D

Did anyone here Martin Lewis AKA MoneySavingExpert.com the other day talking about 22% increases in gas prices, and in pretty much the same sentance (different subject I think :unsure: ) suggesting all of this as being in a low inflation economy the other day :unsure: Really got my blood boiling :ph34r:

I once had an email read out on broadcasting house when Jeremy Vine was presenting. It was shortly after the "shoe bomber" case, and I suggested that air travel could be made safer if all passengers travelled in the nude.

As for getting someone to go on Radio 2 or something, this could backfire. Does anyone out there have both the time and the experience to put the point over and look good. Remember those people presenting on "the apprentice" and how awful they looked. If this was to happen, then I'd suggest (for what it's worth) that any spokesperson is given significant practice beforehand. If a number of people all linked up via some sort of online chat program, then they could practice putting the spokesperson "through the grill" bringing up as many points that VIs might bring up as they can, analysing the responses, etc.

Billy Shears

Edited by BillyShears

I keep bringing this subject up, more than anything we need a spokesman, we need someone voicing our concerns/fears in the media. Come one, i know you media types are lurking on boards like this, and i am certain this site has produces a strong enough case to at least get you thinking

Sam

I once had an email read out on broadcasting house when Jeremy Vine was presenting. It was shortly after the "shoe bomber" case, and I suggested that air travel could be made safer if all passengers travelled in the nude.

As for getting someone to go on Radio 2 or something, this could backfire. Does anyone out there have both the time and the experience to put the point over and look good. Remember those people presenting on "the apprentice" and how awful they looked. If this was to happen, then I'd suggest (for what it's worth) that any spokesperson is given significant practice beforehand. If a number of people all linked up via some sort of online chat program, then they could practice putting the spokesperson "through the grill" bringing up as many points that VIs might bring up as they can, analysing the responses, etc.

Billy Shears

You're totally right there BillyShears - we would have to get a barrister-league HPCer to go on - there are many extremely articulate people posting on here, but we need someone with incredible factual, economic and historical knowledge too - there are a handful of people on here who fit the bill (I'm not one of them!) - but whether they would be prepared to go up against the BBC, who knows.

Jeremy Vine can sometimes be quite anti-establishment, but only on rare occasions - He would have to have a number of VI's on to counter any p.o.v. an HPCer would be putting across - Would be great though - any suggestions for candidates??? :)

You are not going to win so do the most terrible thing you can do to any Broadcaster - switch over, tune out and switch off. Simple - problem solved!

Not sure of that. It could be possible to win against a carefully picked team. What would happen if HPC suggested to some media (television/radio) that they would like to challenge a team of Estate Agents to a debate? Provided that the team from HPC was adequately prepared and practiced, I think it would be quite interesting.

Billy Shears

Not sure of that. It could be possible to win against a carefully picked team. What would happen if HPC suggested to some media (television/radio) that they would like to challenge a team of Estate Agents to a debate? Provided that the team from HPC was adequately prepared and practiced, I think it would be quite interesting.

Billy Shears

anyone used to be in their university debating soc? time to put all those hours of mock debate to good use I think.

BRING IT ON!!!

Channel 4 have this option. If you visit their website they are always looking for short documentary commissions. You know the kind of thing, they give you £500 and a video camera, you get to voice an opinion on something and then it is professionally edited by them but you deciding what goes in and then it gets aired. They pop up every now and then on Channel 4 - usually after the 7PM news.

No names, but sometimes reading between the lines you can hear that old favourite WELL WHAT CAN WE DO.

If you believe in something you find a way, there are some very intelligent people on this site, and funny with it, surely we could charm some name into speaking for us.

Sam

Channel 4 have this option. If you visit their website they are always looking for short documentary commissions. You know the kind of thing, they give you £500 and a video camera, you get to voice an opinion on something and then it is professionally edited by them but you deciding what goes in and then it gets aired. They pop up every now and then on Channel 4 - usually after the 7PM news.

How short? If it were ten minutes or so, then it wouldn't be much of a debate.

Billy Shears

How short? If it were ten minutes or so, then it wouldn't be much of a debate.

The whole point is that it is not a debate. It is your point of view. Sometimes they include both a pro and against viewpoint but you, as 'film-maker', have control over this and, no doubt, the Commissioning Editor will have a big say.

Usually they are a 'rant' about some topic or other than an individual or group feels strongly about.

Visually, I think such an item could be great - shots of streets full of 'for sale' and 'to let' signs, panoramics of endless developments of new built flats being built, return in the evening to show them basically empty, etc, etc, backed up by several cold hard SUCCINT facts that are so often talked about on here about the myth of the house price increases, about the VIs and a SUCCINT explanation of bubbles.

Sorry, the old documentary film-maker in me is coming out.

You would need a very catchy title and a single sheet of A4 with a VERY catchy synopsis of what you intended to do. Of course, you run the risk that the Editor who reads it is hocked up to his/her eyeballs in debt with a string of BTLs or is MEWed to the hilt.

Channel 5 might be worth approaching also. I would ignore the BBC and ITN. Sky News - probably not!

Better still, think of a hilarious angle, make a hilarious video about HPI and post it to kontraband.com! :blink:

No names, but sometimes reading between the lines you can hear that old favourite WELL WHAT CAN WE DO.

If you believe in something you find a way, there are some very intelligent people on this site, and funny with it, surely we could charm some name into speaking for us.

Sam

Did you see the scene in "Nathan Barley" where the title character 'charms' a television station into giving him his own show? Bit worried about that being the old case of humour hitting hardest when it's closest to reality.

Though, I like the idea of going for the ten minute documentary.

Edit: Hard facts about the housing market (returns on BTL, time taken to pay off mortgage, broken ladder) interspersed with young people and families talking about how impossible it is to buy houses at current market prices and salaries? I.e. balance the numerical and human sides of it.

Billy Shears

Edited by BillyShears

spokesman should be:-

RJG18

his writing was a huge part of my hpc training. :)

spokesman should be:-

RJG18

his writing was a huge part of my hpc training. :)

If it were done, surely a script could be communually edited on the board (some sort of private area). Then, if C4 supplies £500 an actor could provide the voice-over to make it sound professional.

Billy Shears

Edited by BillyShears

I suggested that air travel could be made safer if all passengers travelled in the nude.

That might put a bit of fun into the experience. :)

But would it prevent the terrorists from inventing bum explosives ?!

Edited by Warwickshire Lad

one of the lamest things about this site is the general reluctance for the individual to do ANYTHING THEMSELVES.

its always. come on somebody do this. i wish some hpcr would do that.

while the poster never volunteers anytime or effort. just attempts to goad someone else to do it.

WHY DONT YOU DO IT ?

its like the suggestion for a march. total waste of time. it make me realise this is just a verbal board.

dont expect any sort of effort or action. oh yes. they can all go to some fancy west end pub for a social meet.

but aside from that its all suggestions for other people to take the lead and 'do something'.

one of the lamest things about this site is the general reluctance for the individual to do ANYTHING THEMSELVES.

its always. come on somebody do this. i wish some hpcr would do that.

while the poster never volunteers anytime or effort. just attempts to goad someone else to do it.

WHY DONT YOU DO IT ?

its like the suggestion for a march. total waste of time. it make me realise this is just a verbal board.

dont expect any sort of effort or action. oh yes. they can all go to some fancy west end pub for a social meet.

but aside from that its all suggestions for other people to take the lead and 'do something'.

Hi Rfd

Fair point, but trust me, i am not your Guy, i do not think i am anyway.

I do know my own limitations, and i honestly do not think i have the charisma, and i am not as nearly as bright and articulate as many of the posters are on the site, i would probaly just rub people up the wrong way.

Hate to say it, but image is everything these days, if i had the confidence to front what i think to be a noble cause i would, i swear

Sam

p.s My name is Sam, i have worked my b*****x off for 20 years now, i have never scrounged off the state, i earn well above the average wage, if i cannot own my own home, then what incentive is there.

Sam

thats why only a group effort would be worth doing.

after a march was established as a non event all other 'actions' are just hot digital pixels on a line of code.

as long as you know the limitations of a forum of anon individuals its ok.

only market forces can change the situation.

markets forces can double, but market forces can also half.

I emailed the Jeremy Vine show and got a message back that they weren't interested in the, 'disadvatages of house price inflation' as a subject. It was quite a while ago so maybe they'd reconsider, especially if enough people sent emails requesting a discussion.

A House Price Crash Spokesperson

Was reading the thread and thought I'd see if i could help a little. Regardless of my personal view on house prices I think that a spokesperson is an eminently sensible idea to me. However the 'group' idea won't fly very far. There are a number of things that will be looked for in a spokesperson

1. Legitimacy. Who do you represent and why. Here actually you need to rely on the site owners and organisers. HPC has become a successful website and as such has generated its own legitimacy based on that user base. Thus the spokesperson either has to be one of the owners/founders or an appointed spokesperson by them

The other way is to find a champion in the press, someone who supports your view. There are some property bulls out there, the question is whether they are willing to have. Also they need to be rational about this, HPC is a subjective viewpoint, you may believe it, but it isn't a fact. (please this isn't a polemic point, i just mean that saying "manchester united main strip is red" is a fact but "manchester united will win the league next year because i believe they have the best squad" is a subjective viewpoint - honestly held views are great, but it isn't an established fact) therefore anyone representing the point needs to coherently and rationally argue the point rather than evangelise on it.

2. Ability. What makes good TV radio is knowledge, authority and being articulate. Passion, humour and charisma are also important (i wish!)

3. Contacts. Having a good spokesperson doesn't make any difference, there needs to be an ability to contact them at all hours, they need to be on the contacts databases. There also needs to be some PR done when there is an issue that HPC could comment on.... often people don't know what's relevant. For example for me, many journalists associate me with credit cards without realising shopping and say contact lenses are also major areas. So its important to establish what can and can't be talked on. Would HPC be willing to unagenda'd comment on mortgage rates.

4. Sex it up. I smiled at the comment from Jeremy Vine team on "house price deflation isn't" etc. Of course they wouldn't like that - that isn't how the media work. Perhaps if you emailed Jeremy Vine and said "There's a house price time bomb in the UK, people believe house prices can't fall, but are about to hit a disaster" it would sound more like a radio programme. On top of that you need a. a peg - why should they do it on any particular day, whats the rationale behind that b. some research, what do we know KNOW that we didnt know before.

Anyway these are just some thoughts, there are lots of other ways to do this, but i hope it helps. I belive you have a voice that should be heard. Too many people in this country believe property is as safe as houses. Getting one coherent, contactable, PR'd spokesperson is the best way forward in my view

Good luck and sorry for babbling

Martin Lewis (moneysavingexpert.com)