House Price Crash Forum
FTBagain

Intel Hit By Slowdown

Hence why Intel is getting into home entertainment systems in a big way - the PC market is tiny compared to the home consumer market and Intel and MS et al are now going after it.

The current PC market is hardly 'tiny' - the main shift to 'Digital Home' is more to cover the trends in convergenc technologies anf of course the need to find the new growth areas. Intel's Viiv strategy is very muddled mind.

Most people aren't upgrading their computers anymore. Why do yo need to when you can do most stuff on a 1.5GHz (or less) processor.

Besides, I get AMD anyways.

Mind you, I would have thought with MS Vista coming out the demand for 64bit processors might shoot up, but then again Vista will run happily on 32bit systems.

Edited by Mr Blek

Why do yo need to when you can do most stuff on a 1.5GHz (or less) processor.

That's why Microsoft are bringing out their new version of Windows: you'll need a 4GHz CPU and a fast graphics card just to run the fancy user interface.

So they just made a mega profit, not a mega mega profit?

Most of the world's PCs go to corporate desktops like advertising, big IT investments are often shelved when firms cut back. I never really understood why corpoate PCs that don't do much more than run email, word or just act as a terminal for a database need to be updated so often.

Intel do a whole lot more than Pentiums and Centrinos, and many of their designs already feature heavily in consumer electronics, so maybe they are feeling a pinch here as well.

I run a 1ghz Mac laptop. It's plenty fast enough and I've used it for lots of professional print work and multitrack audio recording. I still know loads of people that don't have computers at home, and many of those that do have never edited a video, collated digital photos, scanned anything, and just use the machines as a glorifed typewriter and for net access.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

That's why Microsoft are bringing out their new version of Windows: you'll need a 4GHz CPU and a fast graphics card just to run the fancy user interface.

My Windows 2000 pro is right up to date with upgrades and patches. I have cloned three 40 gig drives and there I will stay. I have been caught out with various software after upgrading to find my lifetime upgrades have been converted to subsciption. Norton AV caught me out losing 3 months after requesting me continously to activate and then locking me out. All the upgrades to my software are pulling this stroke, so bye bye they have lost my custom.

My Windows 2000 pro is right up to date with upgrades and patches. I have cloned three 40 gig drives and there I will stay. I have been caught out with various software after upgrading to find my lifetime upgrades have been converted to subsciption. Norton AV caught me out losing 3 months after requesting me continously to activate and then locking me out. All the upgrades to my software are pulling this stroke, so bye bye they have lost my custom.

Do the upgrade to Linux, and wave goodbye to all that rubbish :)

ABB

Roughly speaking, personal computers have long since become so sufficiently powerful that the only sales differentiator left is how sexy the graphics and slick the case is...

Guest Bart of Darkness
Despite the firm then announcing a 25% jump in profits for the three months to 31 December, its shares dipped as investors had been expecting more.

A measley 25% jump in profits?

Sack the Chief Exec!

Roughly speaking, personal computers have long since become so sufficiently powerful that the only sales differentiator left is how sexy the graphics and slick the case is...

http://www.linuxedge.org/videos/NLD_SLconf_1.avi

http://www.linuxedge.org/videos/NLD_SLconf_2.avi

http://www.linuxedge.org/videos/NLD_SLconf_3.avi

http://www.linuxedge.org/videos/NLD_SLconf_4.avi

http://www.freedesktop.org/~davidr/xgl-demo1.xvid.avi

The first four of these are short videos showing aspects of the linux desktop. The last one is a much more detailed video, but it is rather long.

Billy Shears

My brother phoned me tonight and told me that the main Mercedes dealership in Wigan is closing down.

Now I know what you're thinking....

Here in Swansea the Mercedes and Audi/VW dealerships have just opened up two more offices in the most shiny glass buildings that Swansea has ever seen. The MacDs next door kind of lets them down but... the Welsh are quite happily still MEWing away like no tomorrow, like they have won the lottery, it seems.

Here in Swansea the Mercedes and Audi/VW dealerships have just opened up two more offices in the most shiny glass buildings that Swansea has ever seen. The MacDs next door kind of lets them down but... the Welsh are quite happily still MEWing away like no tomorrow, like they have won the lottery, it seems.

In my continuing quest to understand the housing market, I walked around a recent estate sort of right on the border of Leicester. I was surprised to see how even in such a small estate, that you could walk round in half an hour or so, there were 'bad' and 'nice' areas. It was really sad to see that the 'worst' area had some open ground at the back. But when I walked out there, there was huge amounts of rubbish all along the edge of the open area at the back of the houses.

But getting back to the topic of your post, what did I see parked outside one of the houses in the 'worst' area. A really shiny new Porsche. I don't recognise the models, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't one of the cheaper ones.

Billy Shears

House prices increases over the past 5 years have been like winning the lottery for tens of millions of people.

People, for example, who bought a 45K house in Swansea back in the mid to late 1990s now have it 'valued' at 200K and, well, they have gone from struggling to pay for the house to suddenly finding themselves, 'technically', awash with cash if they MEW.

And, of course, all their friends, neighbours and work colleagues are doing it - peer pressure, girlie talk, green eyes of jealousy, etc - so there can't be any harm in it - right? What do they do with it? They go buy the status car(s), have a few exotic and expensive holidays, get a new bathroom, kitchen, leather sofa, plasma TV, etc, etc.

The fallout from the coming crash, as I keep saying, is going to be painful. It will result, IMPO, in huge bankruptcies, a as yet unseen leap in the UK divorce figures and, tragically, suicides will also rise significantly IMPO.

Car sales and new computers are IMO early indictaors of serious trouble coming. These are the keep up with the Jones's items. You know, "My new Merc as a really clever Sat Nav," or, "My new 20gig mega super PC has....blah, blah!"

When people suddenly realise that they actually have to start paying for it, that is when the economy will stop.

Or may be when the banks realise that their customers do not have the dosh... <_<

It's really not surprising - CPU technology has been flatlined at 3Ghz for the last 2-3 years. There were some excellent threads on this on HPC some time last year. Desktop/server/network technology is now approaching a mature enough level for the laws of diminishing returns to kick in.

The fuel of global economic growth for the last 10-20 years have been the advances in computing power and globalisation. What's advances are going to drive growth for the next decade? I dunno, but it would make great dissertation material.

You should try various freeware antivirus / anti spyware options some very good free programs out there.

It's really not surprising - CPU technology has been flatlined at 3Ghz for the last 2-3 years. There were some excellent threads on this on HPC some time last year. Desktop/server/network technology is now approaching a mature enough level for the laws of diminishing returns to kick in.

The fuel of global economic growth for the last 10-20 years have been the advances in computing power and globalisation. What's advances are going to drive growth for the next decade? I dunno, but it would make great dissertation material.

The next big thing is likely to be nano-technology.

Edited by Mrliberty

Fem-bots! Huge market poential, will solve no end of problems!

true - gary glitter wouldn't be in the trouble he is today if someone could put together a half decent fem-bot :(:P

perhaps amstrad could have a go? :lol:

Guest Bart of Darkness

You should try various freeware antivirus / anti spyware options some very good free programs out there.

I use the free version of AVG anti-virus, very good, regular (daily) updates.

Wouldn't let anything with the Norton name near a PC. :angry:

I use the free version of AVG anti-virus, very good, regular (daily) updates.

Wouldn't let anything with the Norton name near a PC. :angry:

I use the free home edition of Avast.

Norton is good at one thing - slowing your system down.

Edited by Mr Blek

Computers can move ahead in at least two ways to keep advances going. Parallelism is growing, look at the AMD X2 chips. But just duplicating cores on a single chip won't get us very far. What, IMHO, will happen is that there will be cleverer and cleverer ways to take advantage of parallelism, and this might include a sea change in the design of computer programming languages and techniques. Secondly there will be more and more special purpose hardware for particular applications. The main example of this at the moment is in graphics hardware. Linux users can easily see how slow 3D games run if you just use the main processor and render everything using software by switching to software only OpenGL drivers. And it's a crawl. The popularity of gaming has made it economically viable to spend big $$$$ on developing special purpose graphics hardware as large numbers of people people are prepared to spend a lot of money on graphics cards. Not infrequently people building their own computers spend more on the graphics hardware than any other component. If main processor speed flatlines then I would expect to more different types of dedicated hardware become popular. For example, dedicated speech recognition and/or synthesis hardware. When hardware is created for a specific task, it's generally possible to make the hardware orders of magnitude faster than using a general purpose processor due to identifying various shortcuts and possible parallelism specific to the problem.

I also think that the "knowledge economy" and artificial intelligence, which had a sort of false start, will become far more important in the future as people stop f*rt*ng around with the 'easy' problems and start working in earnest on the harder ones.

Billy Shears