House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
delboypass

Compulsory Registration For Private Landlords

New national Legislation requiring all private landlords to register with their local authority before 30th April 2006.

Online applications at:

Landlord Register - Application and Search - Looks quite good once they get it up and running

Further details at:

FURTHER DETAILS ON LANDLORD REGISTRATION

I would suggest that anyone renting in Scotland after 30th April grass up and landlords not found on the register!!!

PS - PRIVATE LANDLORD - If you own a property and anyone apart from members of your family live there, this section is for you. (MUST INCLUDE ANYONE RENTING OUT A ROOM AS WELL THEN!)

Edited by delboypass

Given the low opinion most HPC posters have of the government's economic management it seems rather contradictory to regard more government intervention as a good thing. Such over regulation and red tape takes power away from both landlords and tenants and puts it in the hands of faceless government bureaucrats who end up controlling yet another aspect of our lives. One way or another we all have to pay more taxes to fund it.

Given the low opinion most HPC posters have of the government's economic management it seems rather contradictory to regard more government intervention as a good thing. Such over regulation and red tape takes power away from both landlords and tenants and puts it in the hands of faceless government bureaucrats who end up controlling yet another aspect of our lives. One way or another we all have to pay more taxes to fund it.

Man this is really getting to you. This is the second time you posted this. the other time was on this string:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=25351

Whats on your mind ol' son? Got a few dodgy lets hidden out there somewhere?

my personal feeling is that most of the landlords are not paying tax on their income because there is no registry. if they have to pay tax most Landlords would not be in the game. so it is a good news

my personal feeling is that most of the landlords are not paying tax on their income because there is no registry. if they have to pay tax most Landlords would not be in the game. so it is a good news

I also agree it is good news.

Just look at the rental thread regarding the number of dodgy landlords with-holding deposits etc.

Weed them out, make them pay the correct amount of tax and then only decent landlords will exist perhaps (except for those who dont register :( !!)

The register also provides details on both the landlord and the rental property. If you rent you can see history of both which i believe has been missing for a number of years and was actually considering making my own but then the Government said it would do it about 5 years ago so i waited patiently (for 5 years ;-)

I dont see how this will cost much - a one off fee is required by Landlord - the registration then lasts for 10 years.

Yes i have a personal grudge against Landlords - yes i f**king hate them. I believe they are all dishonest and should pay a lot more taxes. Yes we probably need a number of decent landlords but not hairdressers buying BTL's on credit cards etc. Time to wipe them out

OK to own 1 house, 2 is stretching a bit further but 3 is taking the piss!!

Like china - only limited to 1 baby - why should a person be allowed 3 houses??

Edited by delboypass

OK to own 1 house, 2 is stretching a bit further but 3 is taking the piss!!

Like china - only limited to 1 baby - why should a person be allowed 3 houses??

Especially when they don't actually 'own' any of them.

I would have no problem with someone who owns a house outright investing in a further two houses.

What I cannot understand is why you have to be demonstrably in debt (have a mortgage) before you can take out all sorts of loans etc out against your home. Surely there is only so much debt that can be secured against a single property?

This is the second time you posted this. [Elizabeth]

This is the second time delboypass posted his suggestion.

Whats on your mind ol' son? Got a few dodgy lets hidden out there somewhere? [Elizabeth]

Only ever been a tenant, never a landlord.

my personal feeling is that most of the landlords are not paying tax on their income because there is no registry. [CrashCrash]

Don't rely on your feelings, do some research and find out the facts.

if they have to pay tax most Landlords would not be in the game. so it is a good news [CrashCrash]

Since the majority of landlords use letting agents this is obviously an absurd statement. I can't see why you think forcing most tenants into moving back with their parents or buying would be good news.

Tax evasion is a serious offence with severe penalties including jail. I would have thought landlords would be one of the least likely occupations to evade tax not least because such fraud is relatively easy to detect. HMRC can do data matches on the electoral roll or council tax records and the Land Registry to identify properties not occupied by their owners. They will inspect letting agent's accounts and routinely check local adverts. Rents are usually paid by cheque or standing order. Tenants will probably put themselves on the electoral roll. They may claim Housing Benefit. They might even work for HMRC or know someone who does.

The risk of being caught would be much higher than for a tradesman who only does one off jobs for cash. If a landlord was prepared to run such risks would they be bothered about being fined for not registering their property with the council?

This is the second time you posted this. [Elizabeth]

This is the second time delboypass posted his suggestion.

Whats on your mind ol' son? Got a few dodgy lets hidden out there somewhere? [Elizabeth]

Only ever been a tenant, never a landlord.

my personal feeling is that most of the landlords are not paying tax on their income because there is no registry. [CrashCrash]

Don't rely on your feelings, do some research and find out the facts.

if they have to pay tax most Landlords would not be in the game. so it is a good news [CrashCrash]

Since the majority of landlords use letting agents this is obviously an absurd statement. I can't see why you think forcing most tenants into moving back with their parents or buying would be good news.

Tax evasion is a serious offence with severe penalties including jail. I would have thought landlords would be one of the least likely occupations to evade tax not least because such fraud is relatively easy to detect. HMRC can do data matches on the electoral roll or council tax records and the Land Registry to identify properties not occupied by their owners. They will inspect letting agent's accounts and routinely check local adverts. Rents are usually paid by cheque or standing order. Tenants will probably put themselves on the electoral roll. They may claim Housing Benefit. They might even work for HMRC or know someone who does.

The risk of being caught would be much higher than for a tradesman who only does one off jobs for cash. If a landlord was prepared to run such risks would they be bothered about being fined for not registering their property with the council?

Ever rented from an agent??

Only to be told your deposit has been returned to the landlord!!!!

I bet many people have!!

What is the big deal with having all the information out in the open....

OI expect Good law abiding landlords will consider this a blessing..

The more dodgier landlords may curse it!!

All im trying to do is to get people to check that their landlords are on the register when it comes out...if not, Why not...

No, ive never had a dodgy landlord myself as im a big dude which helps deposit negotiations..its the little people i look out for who are less fortunate than myself.

Yes ive never owned my own house either.

Im not part of the credit society, yet!!

The points i dont get are why council tax is less on the second home - surely this law is outdated and should be quashed!!! At any measures the tax ona second home should be increased..

Another law to quash is sliding CGT gains. Why should you pay less percentage CGT because you have owned the property for a number of years - its a business...

Ever rented from an agent??

Only to be told your deposit has been returned to the landlord!!!!

I bet many people have!!

What is the big deal with having all the information out in the open....

OI expect Good law abiding landlords will consider this a blessing..

The more dodgier landlords may curse it!!

All im trying to do is to get people to check that their landlords are on the register when it comes out...if not, Why not...

No, ive never had a dodgy landlord myself as im a big dude which helps deposit negotiations..its the little people i look out for who are less fortunate than myself.

Yes ive never owned my own house either.

Im not part of the credit society, yet!!

The points i dont get are why council tax is less on the second home - surely this law is outdated and should be quashed!!! At any measures the tax ona second home should be increased..

Another law to quash is sliding CGT gains. Why should you pay less percentage CGT because you have owned the property for a number of years - its a business...

Just cause someone puts themselves on the electorate roll doesnt mean they are renting or paying anything towards the house...and i highly doubt any government body really bothers to look in this in too much detail..they are too busy making coffee!!

Yes i have a personal grudge against Landlords - yes i f**king hate them. I believe they are all dishonest and should pay a lot more taxes. [delboypass]

There's little point with having a debate with people who are so irrational.

I've never had any reason to doubt the honesty of any of my many landlords and landladies. However, I've always rented direct and never via an agent.

I have seen this before and it ignores the way an awful lot of landlords (especially in London) operate.

"HMRC can do data matches on the electoral roll or council tax records" - how easy is it for a landlord to remain registered on the electoral roll and council tax records as the occupier of the property so that it appears that they are living there?

"They will inspect letting agent's accounts and routinely check local adverts" - I am not sure about checking local adverts, after all the adverts themselves rarely say very much. But an awful lot of landlords do not use letting agents.

"Rents are usually paid by cheque or standing order" - Yes, maybe they are usually but many prefer cash or cheques / standing orders paid to a 'relative'.

"Tenants will probably put themselves on the electoral roll" - Unless they are students and registered at home or foreign in which case they are not eligible to vote. Both students and immigrants make up a large percentage of the tenants of dodgy landlords.

"They may claim Housing Benefit" - Not if they are students, I didn't think students were eligible.

"They might even work for HMRC or know someone who does." - Now you are being hopeful.

In all honesty I have never come across a 'tenant' who has as much faith in landlords as you do.

I can only assume you have been extremely lucky in your renting experiences.

The points i dont get are why council tax is less on the second home - surely this law is outdated and should be quashed!!! [delboypass]

Only for empty holiday homes. Councils can now charge 90% of the rate -- which is more than if it was occupied by a single person. The 10% discount is allowed so that the number of holiday homes in an area can still be seen.

Just cause someone puts themselves on the electorate roll doesnt mean they are renting or paying anything towards the house. [delboypass]

Indeed not, but HMRC may wish to investigate further.

...i highly doubt any government body really bothers to look in this in too much detail..they are too busy making coffee!! [delboypass]

So why pay to have them set up yet another register?

So why pay to have them set up yet another register?

Because this way it's trivial to ensure that landlords are paying tax: and with Brown so desperate for more income, he's going to make damn sure they do.

Plus, as I said in the other thread, once landlords are all registered, he can bring in new 'windfall taxes' on BTL.

To be fair - there are a lot of exclusions from the register and i can see many of them being used to exempt a house from registration.

Like - 'being used by a religious organisation' - pretty vague

I have been lucky about my renting experiences too. I dont know any landlords who are dodgy - of course i dont know if they are paying taxes ect. Many friends I rented from probably arent as it was pretty much cash in hand - probably never kill this off.

I like things to be out in the open though and searchable.

I wouldnt mind everyones tax receipts also ona register to be searched

I also think anyone collecting benefits should also be online to be searched (Im paying the taxes to give them benefits so why shouldnt I see where it is going!!)

All council spending should also be publicly viewable.

Personally i dont believe there can ever be too much information on the net :ph34r:

Yes there will be plenty of workarounds to escape the register and the good landlords may end up taking the brunt of it!

I have seen this before and it ignores the way an awful lot of landlords (especially in London) operate. [underpressuretobuy]

It doesn't ignore how any landlords operate. It makes the point that as tax evasion goes, undeclared rental income would be relatively easy to detect. The possibilities mentioned are just examples of how a tenancy might be discovered by HMRC. There are many others -- student records from colleges and universities, immigrants applying for visas, work permits and citizenship, etc., etc. The key point is that a dishonest landlord could not rely on a tenancy being invisible to HMRC. By contrast, a plumber who does a cash job for someone they know from their local pub can be reasonably sure of keeping it quiet.

Therefore it seems reasonable to conclude that tax evasion by landlords, although it exists, is likely to be relatively small. Indeed a Google search reveals few cases in the UK.

In all honesty I have never come across a 'tenant' who has as much faith in landlords as you do. I can only assume you have been extremely lucky in your renting experiences. [underpressuretobuy]

You've not lived. I wouldn't say I was any more "lucky" than other tenants I know. However, I rent direct and I'm fairly choosy about both property and landlord. I've observed that using letting agents often seems to result in more problems and expense for both tenants and landlords.

I am not sure about checking local adverts, after all the adverts themselves rarely say very much. [underpressuretobuy]

Tax inspectors frequently trawl local small ads. Adverts generally contain a telephone number which is all they need to know. HMRC have extensive powers including being able to monitor your phone calls, emails and web site visits (Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000).

Because this way it's trivial to ensure that landlords are paying tax: and with Brown so desperate for more income, he's going to make damn sure they do. [MarkG]

Given the serious penalties for tax evasion any landlord defrauding HMRC is unlikely to be worried about the relatively trivial penalty for not registering.

Plus, as I said in the other thread, once landlords are all registered, he can bring in new 'windfall taxes' on BTL. [MarkG]

He can do that now by ammending Capital Gains Tax. However, most HPC posters seem to think being a BTL landlord is a way to lose money (even for TTRTR).

The BBC are now mentioning this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4782982.stm

Landlords who let homes to more than one household will soon need to be licensed by their local authorities.
The requirement starts on 6 April this year as part of the implementation of the Housing Act 2004.
Edited by Jason