House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Randall Herbert

Blair 'prayed To God' Over Iraq

"Prime Minister Tony Blair has told how he prayed to God when deciding whether or not to send UK troops to Iraq.

Mr Blair answered "yes" when asked on ITV1 chat show Parkinson - to be screened on Saturday - if he had sought holy intervention on the issue.

"Of course, you struggle with your own conscience about it... and it's one of these situations that, I suppose, very few people ever find themselves in."

Anti-war campaigners attacked Mr Blair's comments as "a joke".

Mr Blair told Parkinson: "In the end, there is a judgement that, I think if you have faith about these things, you realise that judgement is made by other people... and if you believe in God, it's made by God as well."

Is a man who makes our decisions on the basis of his relationship with a 'Special' friend up high in another place which doesn't have a post code, any more appropriate as our leader than the numbskull George W Bush?

There is no place for religious influence or interference in our domestic politics.... period

as there is no place for 'Tessa' accounts in our politics......

Prime Minister Tony Blair has told how he prayed to God when deciding whether or not to send UK troops to Iraq.

I've seen the interview and he actually said that God would be his judge about the war decision, not that he "prayed to God" when deciding to make the decision.

I think Bush was the one that prayed to God.

Right wing christian fundamentalist.

As I recall, God didn't elect him. Hopefully he will face a war crimes trial (thin home but I keep praying!)

He should be at Den Hague now the butcher.

What is wrong with him praying to God? There are tens of millions of people in this country who consider themselves Christian and who pray to God on a daily basis.

There are about 1 billion people on the planet who believe in a Christian God and several billion who believe in a Supreme Being or Creator of the Universe. At the end of the day Jews, Christians and Muslims all believe in the same God but choose to believe in Him in a different way. That, perhaps, is the tragedy of this religious divide.

Having watched my Mother fight for life since a week before Christmas and for the subsequent 12 weeks in an intensive care unit I can say that without prayer the journey for her and I would have been impossible. I will also say that several 'little' things that happened during her last weeks, and since her passing, have made me believe more than ever in God and in the power of prayer.

What is wrong with him praying to God? There are tens of millions of people in this country who consider themselves Christian and who pray to God on a daily basis.

There are about 1 billion people on the planet who believe in a Christian God and several billion who believe in a Supreme Being or Creator of the Universe. At the end of the day Jews, Christians and Muslims all believe in the same God but choose to believe in Him in a different way. That, perhaps, is the tragedy of this religious divide.

Having watched my Mother fight for life since a week before Christmas and for the subsequent 12 weeks in an intensive care unit I can say that without prayer the journey for her and I would have been impossible. I will also say that several 'little' things that happened during her last weeks, and since her passing, have made me believe more than ever in God and in the power of prayer.

Damn right TMT. What we need is more Christian fundamentalists.

I'm a firm believer in God, but when you start invoking God's name in an act you've done, you are trying to justify it as if the authority came from God. That is the act of a coward who can't face up to his actions.

I have absolutely no problem with him praying to God TMT. What I have is a problem with politicians using God to justify actions such as bombing the crap out of millions of people. God didn't make that decision. Politicians did to protect VIs in the oil industry. It makes a mockery of every thing that is good in any kind of believing.

I pray what socks to wear in the morning. If I pray about, I might as well about what countries to invade, mightn't I?

I pray what socks to wear in the morning. If I pray about, I might as well about what countries to invade, mightn't I?

Nothing wrong with praying & and I didn't see the interview.

There is something...I don't know...something that just doesn't sit well with me...using ones faith for political gain.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

I have absolutely no problem with him praying to God TMT. What I have is a problem with politicians using God to justify actions such as bombing the crap out of millions of people. God didn't make that decision. Politicians did to protect VIs in the oil industry. It makes a mockery of every thing that is good in any kind of believing.

In two World Wars each side claimed God would grant them victory, after 60 million lives were lost who were the true victors?

A bible thats falling to bits, is owned by someone who isnt.

When I look at the way certain religions are abusing this country at the moment, I have no problem with a little more christianity being on show. Its who we are as a people.

Although, if he did pray about a decision, dear jesus, did he ever get that one wrong :(

I'm a firm believer in God, but when you start invoking God's name in an act you've done, you are trying to justify it as if the authority came from God. That is the act of a coward who can't face up to his actions.

didnt the yorkshire ripper claim that god called out from a grave and told him to kill prostitutes ?

There is something...I don't know...something that just doesn't sit well with me...using ones faith for political gain.

Don't think Blair came across as being comfortable talking about Christianity and the religion thing in the interview, IMHO. Not a political "gain" thing, whatever you meant.

Just think though it's such a huge contrast with a country like Iran, where the leader is overtly religious and the political system and the religion is one and the same thing.

Guest muttley

didnt the yorkshire ripper claim that god called out from a grave and told him to kill prostitutes ?

Well who hasn't had that happen to them? :blink:

Don't think Blair came across as being comfortable talking about Christianity and the religion thing in the interview, IMHO. Not a political "gain" thing, whatever you meant.

Just think though it's such a huge contrast with a country like Iran, where the leader is overtly religious and the political system and the religion is one and the same thing.

Look at where I'm from. Listen to GWB.

Excellent point! I think we'd all be a little better off if we keep it quiet about it when we hear God telling us to do things!

Joking aside, I did see the transcript of Tony's conversation, and I quote;

God; Tony

Tony; yes God.

God; Attack Iran

Tony; No.

God; Oh, why not?

Tony; because I want to attack Iraq, it makes a better slogan. I like slogans; Let's attack Iraq!

God; But will you attack Iran afterwards?

Tony; Yes, of course.

God' Ok, attack Iraq.

Tony; Yes God, can you pass it on to George for me?

God; Already have.

Tony; Great. Thanks.

God; No sweat.

i wish god would hurl a large thunderbolt at nationwide hq. and perhaps a few boils on the odd landlords face wouldnt go a miss.

and a plague of higher interest rates while your at it.

"Prime Minister Tony Blair has told how he prayed to God when deciding whether or not to send UK troops to Iraq.

Mr Blair answered "yes" when asked on ITV1 chat show Parkinson - to be screened on Saturday - if he had sought holy intervention on the issue.

"Of course, you struggle with your own conscience about it... and it's one of these situations that, I suppose, very few people ever find themselves in."

Anti-war campaigners attacked Mr Blair's comments as "a joke".

Mr Blair told Parkinson: "In the end, there is a judgement that, I think if you have faith about these things, you realise that judgement is made by other people... and if you believe in God, it's made by God as well."

Is a man who makes our decisions on the basis of his relationship with a 'Special' friend up high in another place which doesn't have a post code, any more appropriate as our leader than the numbskull George W Bush?

There is no place for religious influence or interference in our domestic politics.... period

as there is no place for 'Tessa' accounts in our politics......

We all knew before the invasion that he should have listened to Chirac........

Unlike the neutral and many smaller countries France does put is head above the parapet and fight eg in the 1st Gulf War when it sees fit ...

But Chirac quite rightly and openly said that it would be politically stupid to invade....and incite anti-Western feeling in the arab world.

Who cares whether he prayed or not. Does it make the stupid decision a good one? Who the hell does he think he is, Churchill? No he isn't Churchill because he hasn't seen action. If Blair had put his son on the front-line do you think he might have prayed a bit longer? Perhaps losing a loved one in an illegal war might make him pray a little longer still. Better still to put himself on the front-line. When the first salvo came in he'd be praying very hard and soiling his souless pants at the same time.

Which is fine and I would agree with that. However, there is no reason for a mockery to be made of Christians, or anyone who believes in God - I am talking generally here and specifically about any comments you have made - as 'Christian bashing' seems to be a sport these days.

In two World Wars each side claimed God would grant them victory, after 60 million lives were lost who were the true victors?

I am trying to think of that film or TV Programme where God is talking to someone and he says something like "There you go again, everyone blames me for everything...". Probably South Park or The Simpsons.

I think it is important not to confuse religion with Christianity or, for that matter, to confuse religion with Christianity, Judaism, Islam, etc, etc.

And just in case anyone thinks I do not have a sense of humour:

"This is the story of 'The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy', perhaps the most remarkable, certainly the most successful book ever to come out of the great publishing corporations of Ursa Minor - more popular than 'The Celestial Home Care Omnibus', better selling than '53 Things to Do in Zero Gravity', and more controversial than Oolon Colluphid's trilogy of philosophical blockbusters: 'Where God Went Wrong', 'Some More of God's Greatest Mistakes' and 'Who is this God Person Anyway?'"
The Babel fish is small, yellow and leech-like, and probably the oddest thing in the Universe. It feeds on brainwave energy recieved not from its own carrier but from those around it, It absorbs all unconscious mental frequencies from this brainwave energy to nourish itself with. the practical upshot of this is that if you stick a Babel fish in your ear you can instantly understand anything said to you in any language.

Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anhthing so mind-bogglingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see as a final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God. The argument goes like this : "I refuse to prove that I exist", says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

"But", says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway isn't it? it could not have evolved by chance. it proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED."

"Oh dear", says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

"Oh that was easy" says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing.

Meanwhile, the poor Babel fish, by effectively removing all barriers to communication between different races and cultures, has caused more and bloodier wars than anything else in the history of creation.

"Bad luck is when you win the lottery, and God decides it's a nice day to end the Universe."

Douglas Adams, Hitch-Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy.

I think Mr. Adams was writing a great deal between the lines!