House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mad'un

Look At This 3 Bed Semi...

I am used to seeing some pretty ridiculous prices like most people on here, but this is the best I have seen yet. It is VERY close to where I live and I know that these are pretty "compact & bijoux".

3 bed semis are supposed to be bought by young families like mine. Hmmm 3.5x income multiple = £100,000 per annum!

I earn way above average for this area but still I would be looking at nearly 10x because my wife wants to commit the cardinal sin of staying home to raise our 2 children - ooooh naughty :(

Where will it all end I ask you?

http://search.estate-software.co.uk/detail...rtyid=464501924

I am used to seeing some pretty ridiculous prices like most people on here, but this is the best I have seen yet. It is VERY close to where I live and I know that these are pretty "compact & bijoux".

3 bed semis are supposed to be bought by young families like mine. Hmmm 3.5x income multiple = £100,000 per annum!

I earn way above average for this area but still I would be looking at nearly 10x because my wife wants to commit the cardinal sin of staying home to raise our 2 children - ooooh naughty :(

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm-----Preston,Lancs.-------surely not!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nah, that'll be Preston in London. There is a preston in London, isn't there? Isn't there??

Yep. £350k for a nice 3 bed house in London.

Expensive, but you'd expect that in London.

Trouble is, I can't find Preston in London. :blink:

Nah, that'll be Preston in London. There is a preston in London, isn't there? Isn't there??

There is a Preston everywhere, but this truly is Lancs.

Average wage is about £18k.

Just emailed the agents with a bit of a rant and request to know how they justify this valuation. THe average according to nethouseprices.com is £249k - It is the most "prestigous" road in the area - but I know that it is a well used rat run and through route for local chavs on their way to the chippy!

No, there's a Preston in Lancashire and another Preston in Dorset.

That house looks lovely exactly the sort I'd like to buy, none of this brand new shoebox for me.

I don't think much of Preston but I'd love to go back to living in Lancaster, trouble is it doesn't pay as well as London up there and with property prices like that - well the cost of living is almost as bad as London.

I've often wondered how the "average" person or family can afford houses like this. If this sort of price is what the market expects then the only people who can aford to buy are those who already own. Doesn't that mean that eventually we're only going to have a housing market of home owners selling to each other with a lucky few entering the market each year when they come into some money?.

Edited by HomeAlone

No, there's a Preston in Lancashire and another Preston in Dorset.

That house looks lovely exactly the sort I'd like to buy, none of this brand new shoebox for me.

I don't think much of Preston but I'd love to go back to living in Lancaster, trouble is it doesn't pay as well as London up there and with property prices like that - well the cost of living is almost as bad as London.

I hail from Lancaster too! Don't you know that the curse of the pendle witches (executed at Lancaster castle) means that if you have ever lived in Lancaster, you will end up living out your days there?!!

I would like to move back too at some point, it's a great small city, close to the Lakes but I have to work in Manchester in order to earn anything like a decent wage. Houses are cheaper up there though - just!

I hail from Lancaster too! Don't you know that the curse of the pendle witches (executed at Lancaster castle) means that if you have ever lived in Lancaster, you will end up living out your days there?!!

I would like to move back too at some point, it's a great small city, close to the Lakes but I have to work in Manchester in order to earn anything like a decent wage. Houses are cheaper up there though - just!

No, I didn't know that but you know that doesn't sound like such a bad curse!

If you work in Manchester can't you commute to work on the train from Lancaster?

Guest Bart of Darkness

Estate agent's site doesn't seem to like Firefox, one more strike against them.

Have sent them an email just for sh*ts and giggles.

chattox says your going back soon.

she says commute to manchester from lancaster via train and take advantage of the lower house prices.

this way you can start a family of further entombed lancastrians to feed the coyse.

Edited by right_freds_dead

have a look at this 3 bed TERRACED in a nice dublin suburb. ridiculous

http://www3.myhome.ie/search/property.asp?...rch&searchlist=

Period houses are more sought afterthese days but I agree that this one's extortionate. Perhaps it's a typing error?

At the end of the advert is says "Internal inspection essential" Oh, really? As if I was just thinking of skipping that part and committing myself to a lifetime debt of 350K on 10 x my salary just because I was so anxious to get onto a hyped-up overinflated and doomed property market. This market is a joke - what sort of brainless morons do EA's take us for?

There is a Preston everywhere, but this truly is Lancs.

Average wage is about £18k.

Just emailed the agents with a bit of a rant and request to know how they justify this valuation. THe average according to nethouseprices.com is £249k - It is the most "prestigous" road in the area - but I know that it is a well used rat run and through route for local chavs on their way to the chippy!

When I was looking for places to live other than overpriced London, Preston was on the list. I'm sure I remember houses being quite cheap there. OK, so this might be the most "prestigous" road in the area, but really.

There's a Preston that's one stop outside Brighton on the train as well.

Billy Shears

Estate agent's site doesn't seem to like Firefox, one more strike against them.

Have sent them an email just for sh*ts and giggles.

Works fine for me. I'm still running FF 1.0.7 though.

I sent the following email.

Dear Sir/Madam,

The property at Rawstorne Road, Preston, has been described on a popular website as one of the most overpriced houses in the country given the asking price of £349,950. Could you please tell me how you would justify this price given the type and location of the property?

Lets see if we get any response.

Billy Shears

Perhaps the agent was confused if its a semi or detatched! on the blub it says it detatched, even though there are obviously 2 front doors but, further down it says its a semi. Pherhaps the valuer needs to go on an identification course to destinguish between semi's and detatched.

Well its one possible explanation ;)

If you have a look @ Rightmove and punch in £350,000 you will see far better prices properties for sale than this semi.Then punch in £100,000 to £150,000 and I think you will find that this house should be in that price band.

There is an area called Preston Road (on the met Line) near Wembley in N/W London. Now that house advertised would be worth it's price if it was in Preston Road.

I used to live in Preston Road! It's getting a bit spooky, as every time some location comes up on HPC, it seems to be somewhere I have lived or know well.

This means we should be due for a "Forest Hill" or "Wembley" thread any day now.

The estate agents for the house in Preston have emailed me back. I've just noticed that the email they sent me is marked "the contents of this email are confidential and intended only for the recipients".

Billy Shears

Edited by BillyShears

The estate agents for the house in Preston have emailed me back. I've just noticed that the email they sent me is marked "the contents of this email are confidential and intended only for the recipients".

Billy Shears

I got a reply too, they must have twigged by now! :D

Promised me an explanation later next week....

I got a reply too, they must have twigged by now! :D

Promised me an explanation later next week....

In the long run, we're going to know what happens with these houses, as prices will or won't go on the land registry database. This is going to be interesting.

Billy Shears

A nice period house retaining many original features, semi-detached, although wrongly listed on RM as "detached" (see photo!), and just below the ceiling price for the street.

Rightmove link:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-112...pa_n=1&tr_t=buy

Houseprices.co.uk link:

http://www.houseprices.co.uk/e.php?q=+Raws...oad%2C+PR1&n=25

A nice period house retaining many original features, semi-detached, although wrongly listed on RM as "detached" (see photo!), and just below the ceiling price for the street.

Rightmove link:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-112...pa_n=1&tr_t=buy

Houseprices.co.uk link:

http://www.houseprices.co.uk/e.php?q=+Raws...oad%2C+PR1&n=25

Just below the ceiling price for the street means absolutely nothing. There are a number of styles and sizes of 3 bed semis on that road and this example is one of the smallest and least characterful.

The house listed that sold at approx 355k in Dec 04 is approx 3x larger, 2x larger garden and (to use the EAs pink & fluffy expression) has "Oodles" :blink: more charm and character.

Yes, it is a nice house and high quality, but never ever is it worth 350k!!!