House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ketterinboy

Hpc?

I have been viewing messages here for quite a while now and i have decided that maybe everyone on here are giving there opinion on a crash based on dreams not facts! Simple facts are......More people in the country needing more housing, More middle aged people inherting money and investing in BTL's. Lets face it the EA's are not really relying on FTB's to come on to the market as BTL investers are doing FTB's jobs for them. Im a FTB and have now relised that the only time i might own my own house is when my parents die, thats if i dont go before them due to stress! ha ha

I know you think that more repossessions mean lower HP, not if BTL'ers get in!

I currently rent and there is loads like me and we are fuelling BTL investments not hindering it and more and more FTB's are having to rent also, so demand is there for increasing BTL's!

Your views please!

Ketterin boy

You might be able to get some special pills for your stress.

Or maybe you need to reconsider the materialism that surely is permeating every aspect of your life?

Why are you so afraid? Just buy a flat, let it out, and become like them: You only have your fear holding you back.

I think you have missed the points made by the people on this site. A little reading between the lines might be appropriate here. You don't actually need to buy a house with your own money. Rather, you USE OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY and NEVER YOUR OWN.

So the price of property doesn't actually matter, as such.

I hope your parent's don't die soon. That's pretty selfish of you to even think of such a thing! Remember that we have a pensions crisis because of a dwindling population, so the baby-boomer generation need this money from property to pay for their retirement. It's only fair.

Anyhow, nice to hear from newbies. Welcome to the site!

:)

I currently rent and there is loads like me and we are fuelling BTL investments not hindering it and more and more FTB's are having to rent also, so demand is there for increasing BTL's!

Your views please!

Ketterin boy

Although I am renting privately like you, many of the people on this site are living with parents or house sharing which means they are not occupying the same property in the market that they would do if they were buying.

Consequently not all those who are not buying are giving money to BTL landlords and those that do are usually paying substantially less than for a mortgage because they are flat/house-sharing.

I think you also assume that BTL have investments - that is to say, I think you assume that BTL landlords are investing money in property when in actual fact many are simply investing BTL mortgages in property. There is a big difference between investing money you actually have and investing debt.

Edited by underpressuretobuy

I have been viewing messages here for quite a while now and i have decided that maybe everyone on here are giving there opinion on a crash based on dreams not facts! Simple facts are......More people in the country needing more housing, More middle aged people inherting money and investing in BTL's. Lets face it the EA's are not really relying on FTB's to come on to the market as BTL investers are doing FTB's jobs for them. Im a FTB and have now relised that the only time i might own my own house is when my parents die, thats if i dont go before them due to stress! ha ha

Your views please!

Ketterin boy

You are clear of what needs to be done, dont wait till your parents pop.... :)

wages arent going up, and there not going to :) if rents rise because of landlords wanting to (shock horror) repay or pay there morgages people will move in together and it reduces demand, so rents cant go up either. The fundimentals are you can only afford a house if your in the top 1 or 2% of the population.....

If your looking for investment, try looking somewhere other than housing, new BTLers will get burnt badly...

Edited by moosetea

I never said that hope my parents die, my parents are superb, and they have insisted on giving me £20k to buy a house, and im horrorified that it has been interpreted in this way! Id prefer to be homeless living on oxford street than have no parents! So dont go upsetting people this way, as we are all intitled to our views!

You might be able to get some special pills for your stress.

Or maybe you need to reconsider the materialism that surely is permeating every aspect of your life?

Why are you so afraid? Just buy a flat, let it out, and become like them: You only have your fear holding you back.

I think you have missed the points made by the people on this site. A little reading between the lines might be appropriate here. You don't actually need to buy a house with your own money. Rather, you USE OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY and NEVER YOUR OWN.

So the price of property doesn't actually matter, as such.

I hope your parent's don't die soon. That's pretty selfish of you to even think of such a thing! Remember that we have a pensions crisis because of a dwindling population, so the baby-boomer generation need this money from property to pay for their retirement. It's only fair.

Anyhow, nice to hear from newbies. Welcome to the site!

:)

I never said that hope my parents die, my parents are superb, and they have insisted on giving me £20k to buy a house, and im horrorified that it has been interpreted in this way! Id prefer to be homeless living on oxford street than have no parents! So dont go upsetting people this way, as we are all intitled to our views!

Hmmm... Okay, I might have read something into your post that you didn't intend. It was just the way you felt the need to mention it... <_<

not if BTL'ers get in!

Just a thought experiment now:

Let's say you want to buy... an elephant.

So, you go to your local elephant dealer and you see that they are £10,000 each. But you're busy and you don't make a decision right then, leaving it a month.

You then go back to the dealer a month later and discover that the new price for an elephant has gone down to £9,500.

What do you do?

Edited by megaflop

Wonder wots wrong with the elephant!

House prices where i live in the last 2 months have risen by at least 10% (AP that is!), will have to wait to see the sold prices but they are selling quickly! So i dont understand what you elephant example is all about!

All i was trying to say was, look at the picture from both sides! i dont care because i know i cant buy now and i refuse to mortgage myself up to the eye balls, i was merely suggesting that we may have to wait a very very long time before FTB are able to enter the market and the reason is, our crap goverment and BTL investers. Im stressed...........im off to italia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmmm... Okay, I might have read something into your post that you didn't intend. It was just the way you felt the need to mention it... <_<

So, you go to your local elephant dealer and you see that they are £10,000 each. But you're busy and you don't make a decision right then, leaving it a month.

You then go back to the dealer a month later and discover that the new price for an elephant has gone down to £9,500.

What do you do?

What do you do?

I don't know the answer, but I've a feeling someone's going to get badly trampled.

frugalista

Wonder wots wrong with the elephant!

Okay. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that there's nothing apparently wrong with the elephant, and you can always get a survey done before you buy.

So, surprised by the price reduction you do some research and discover that all elephant vendors consistently reduced their prices across the country in that month.

You still want to buy an elephant.

What do you do?

EDIT: I believe Italy is very nice. But I'm getting worried about your stress levels because of the number of exclamation marks you are using in your replies.

Edited by megaflop

...i dont understand what you elephant example is all about!

This is a common cause of denial, the refusal to see the elephant. Also related to the laws of non contradiction and absolute truth.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

I have been viewing messages here for quite a while now and i have decided that maybe everyone on here are giving there opinion on a crash based on dreams not facts!

I think the member who told me in a PM that this time it will be more of a slow strangulation than a crash hit the nail right on the head.

Here s an interesting thread.

Clicky

The key moment will be when the rate of growth of secured lending starts to fall. That's when house prices will come under severe pressure.
Soon new supply balances new investment, and prices plateau. Finally when the liquidity tap is turned off there is a huge overhang of supply, and the holders try to sell before everyone else does. Prices can collapse very rapidly.

I have been viewing messages here for quite a while now and i have decided that maybe everyone on here are giving there opinion on a crash based on dreams not facts!

Ketterin boy

I have started to doubt it, Even if there is a correction / crash / fall, it will be from Todays prices, that fall will take years, during which time you could be paying off your mortgage, during which time inflation is eating away at your savings. Do you think if people are in neg eq, they will sell for a loss or hold on to there homes?

Okay. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that there's nothing apparently wrong with the elephant, and you can always get a survey done before you buy.

So, surprised by the price reduction you do some research and discover that all elephant vendors consistently reduced their prices across the country in that month.

You still want to buy an elephant.

What do you do?

EDIT: I believe Italy is very nice. But I'm getting worried about your stress levels because of the number of exclamation marks you are using in your replies.

I would buy the elephant.

Guest Winners and Losers

Your views please!

Ketterin boy

Yada, yada, yada. No. Prices will always go up. Buy now before its (yawn) too late. Believe the spin. ;)

Hindsight is the only way you will see a crash. You can see the symptoms coming a mile away: falling prices, rising unemployment, confusion among VI statistics, more houses on the market for longer periods, closing EA shops, bearish sentiment among home owners, dissappearing speculators . . .

Do you think if people are in neg eq, they will sell for a loss or hold on to there homes?

Well let's do another thought experiment:

Why might someone be selling their home?

In which situations would negative equity make no difference to the decision to sell?

I would buy the elephant.

I would wait a second month to see if the elephant price continues downwards.

If so, I might be very tempted to reconsider how much I really needed an elephant right now, whether there are any suitable elephant substitutes, and whether £50/mth renting an elephant might be a good alternative.

If so, I might be very tempted to reconsider how much I really needed an elephant right now, whether there are any suitable elephant substitutes, and whether £50/mth renting an elephant might be a good alternative.

So I got the elephant and you didn't?

You might have to wait a long time for another one as good as this to come on to the market. You can rent my elephant for £100 if you like and I will invest in a couple of camels. Camels only ever go up in price!

Everyone knows the price of elephants only goes up. to suggest they could be going down would be heresy.

• havent you heard there is a shortage of elephants ?
  • look at the price of elephants over the long term we paid 200 puonds for our elephant in 1969
  • renting and elephant is dead money.
  • elephants are the "best investment" scince the price of oxen crashed in 2000
  • If you don't get and elephant now you will never be able to aford one
  • portfollios of elephants will soon be eligable for inclusion in exotic pension schemes
  • elephants arn't eligible for animal gains tax (if you don't declare your elephant to the revenue)

So I got the elephant and you didn't?

Not quite sure why this is relevant. I'm not racing you to elephant-ownership.

You might have to wait a long time for another one as good as this to come on to the market.

You forgot to add the legal disclaimer that this view includes forward-looking statements, and may not turn out to be correct.

You can rent my elephant for £100 if you like and I will invest in a couple of camels. Camels only ever go up in price!

The problem is, and I know you guys can help, is that I have £6,500 to put towards an elephant - potentially - but if the price is going down right now, then I could re-invest this money elsewhere. The Snake Charmer service sector seem to be on the up at the mo, as does recycling elephant dung, due to unprecedented demand for fertilizer from developing nations.

Thanks megaflop, what with all the doom and gloom posts lately I am glad someone can still have a laugh with a relevant point. :lol::lol:

Your views please!

Ketterin boy

I actually think you've made a good point, which hasn't had a decent response.

You are right, the more FTBers there are who cannot afford to buy a house, the more rental demand there will be. Some FTBer friends of mine are moving in together, but as they cannot afford to buy, they are going to rent a 2 bed flat for £650 pcm.

Their combined salary is around 45k. Yet they can only probably afford a diddly, grotty 1 bed flat above a kebab shop.

These people WILL be fuelling the BTLers portfolios. Hence the reason this week of the news that some of the banks are increasing the amount they will lend BTLers for these portfolios.

I would like to know what percentage of the market is BTL.