House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Saving For a Space Ship

Plans To Build Housing Estate From Tyres On South Coasts

http://www.guardian.co.uk/britain/article/....html?gusrc=rss

Plans were unveiled today to build an ultra-green housing estate in Brighton using 15,000 old car tyres.

The 16-home development would be constructed as a series of so called Earthships - a radical idea that involves using recycled tyres as building materials.

The developers, Eathship Biotecture, claim the homes will be so energy efficient they will have no utility bills.

Online video demonstrating the process http://www.earthship.co.uk/video/index.htm

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

Plans were unveiled today to build an ultra-green housing estate in Brighton using 15,000 old car tyres.

The 16-home development would be constructed as a series of so called Earthships - a radical idea that involves using recycled tyres as building materials.

The developers, Eathship Biotecture, claim the homes will be so energy efficient they will have no utility bills.

They can burn part of the house during the winter

Online video demonstrating the process http://www.earthship.co.uk/video/index.htm

Shame it'll be no good for the average newbuild plot. My mates dining room is about two tyres wide.

btp

If the estate gets the go ahead from Brighton and Hove council, the homes are expected to fetch between £250,000 and £350,000 each. Some might also be available for rent through a housing association.

If this a fricking joke!!!!!

1/4 million pounds for a pile of rubbish....are you sure this isn't April fools day

I think we've just hit our Pets.com moment. Fasten your seatbelts!

Personally I think they are amazing (though not if the prices quoted are true) and if the government had any commitment to global warming whatsover all new construction withing the last 5 years should have had to have been eco-friendly. Not as extreme as earthship but at least capable of generating some of their own power and being far better insulated.

I also believe that wooden construction houses such as those seen in Sweden and developments such as earthship should be allowed on greenbelt with the proviso that there should be car pooling and a limited number of cars allowed per community.

But this is just dreaming

By the way I hope the OAP's that keep forming protest groups against windfarms cos they spoil the view whilst rambling enjoy the fuel bills when they are in their late 70's and are happy that there grandkids grow up in the next nuclear age.

They're going to cost lots of money too aren't they?

If the estate gets the go ahead from Brighton and Hove council, the homes are expected to fetch between £250,000 and £350,000 each. Some might also be available for rent through a housing association

I also believe that wooden construction houses such as those seen in Sweden and developments such as earthship should be allowed on greenbelt with the proviso that there should be car pooling and a limited number of cars allowed per community.

But this is just dreaming

In more ways than one.

The UK is responsible for 2% for worldwide CO2 emissions and car use is about 25% of that, we could all give up our cars and live like monks but it's not exactly going to change matters. I'd be mindful of token politics, especially when a handful of coal power plants in India and China far exceed the UK car fleet.

The FoE - much like their little CPRE reactionary friends - distort the facts, blatantly lie and spin so much that I've stopped taking any notice of what they have to say, they factor low in the credibility index. I expect they're all too busy working on the 'climate change bible' anyway, such is their pious religiousosity.

By the way I hope the OAP's that keep forming protest groups against windfarms cos they spoil the view whilst rambling enjoy the fuel bills when they are in their late 70's and are happy that there grandkids grow up in the next nuclear age. [bemused]

Windfarms aren't a substitute for nuclear power. In winter, Britain frequently experiences lengthy periods of high pressure with cold temperatures and low or no wind. There are also occasions when the wind is too strong for wind turbines to operate. Sufficient power station capacity is required to meet peak demand during those periods. It would be more efficient to run that capacity all the time. Since North Sea gas is now rapidly running out, new power stations will likely be so called 'clean' coal with CO2 sequestration or more realistically, conventional nuclear. At most the UK could only generate around a tenth of its electricity from wind. Denmark generates over 15%, but that's only possible because they can import cheap nuclear and hydro-electricity from Norway and Sweden when their wind farms are becalmed.

'Goldrush -- Windfarms & Why They Are So Profitable':

http://www.wind-farm.org/index.php?name=Ne...e=article&sid=2

How come there is this scramble to erect windfarms all over the country? If the electricity that they supply is intermittent and unreliable, why would people spend so much on these huge turbines?

[...snip...]

...less than a third of the bonanza comes from actually generating electricity.

Earthships are the extreme end of eco build and land intensive. Barratts could built an eco house but will only do so when they are forced to do so by legislation. An eco house needs a decent amount of insulation and a sympathetic design using passive solar gain and ventilation. I have been to see two reasonably normal looking 3 bed homes in the last 6 months, the RuralZed in Cornwall and Create Ecohome in Bristol. It's not rocket science and it does not cost much more than a cheapo bland estate new build. Ever wondered why new builds have such small windows? So the builders can get away with thinner walls with barely 80mm of insulation. Crappy new builds make me angry :angry: as they add to our spiralling energy costs.

Anyone been on a train lately and not been able to tell what part of the county they are in because every town has the same set of poorly designed, densely packed, dreadful little new build estates. Rant over. :D

Edited by 2112

Crappy new builds make me angry :angry: as they add to our spiralling energy costs.

Anyone been on a train lately and not been able to tell what part of the county they are in because every town has the same set of poorly designed, densely packed, dreadful little new build estates. Rant over. :D

Ever wondered why they're so densely packed? It's the same eco-mentalists who call for such cramming in the first place, along with the cabal of associated groups who then call for complete removal of limits on "maximum density", if we were all living on a head of pin they'd still complain!

When you have central planning you get standardised, small, boring, homogenized housing. Of course the self same groups then complain about the unwitting outcomes of their own dogmatic policies.

It's a disease on the way people should live.

Perhaps I should change my sig back to the original "Get 'Em Out by Friday" lyrics by Genesis. Written in 1971 and very prophetic,

John pebble of styx enterprises

"get 'em out by friday!

You don't get paid till the last one's well on his way.

Get 'em out by friday!

It's important that we keep to schedule, there must be no delay."

Mark hall of styx enterprises (otherwise known as "the winkler")

"i represent a firm of gentlemen who recently purchased this

House and all the others in the road,

In the interest of humanity we've found a better place for you

To go, go-woh, go-woh"

Mrs. barrow (a tenant)

"oh no, this i can't believe,

Oh mary, they're asking us to leave."

Mr. pebble

"get 'em out by friday!

I've told you before, 's good many gone if we let them stay.

And if it isn't easy,

You can squeeze a little grease and our troubles will soon run away."

Mrs. barrow

"after all this time, they ask us to leave,

And i told them we could pay double the rent.

I don't know why it seemed so funny,

Seeing as how they'd take more money.

The winkler called again, he came here this morning,

With four hundred pounds and a photograph of the place he has found.

A block of flats with central heating.

I think we're going to find it hard."

Mr. pebble

"now we've got them!

I've always said that cash cash cash can do anything well.

Work can be rewarding

When a flash of intuition is a gift that helps you

Excel-sell-sell-sell."

Mr. hall

"here we are in harlow new town, did you recognise your block

Across the square, over there,

Sadly since last time we spoke, we've found we've had to raise

The rent again,

Just a bit."

Mrs. barrow

"oh no, this i can't believe

Oh mary, and we agreed to leave."

(a passage of time)

18/9/2012 t.v. flash on all dial-a-program services

This is an announcement from genetic control:

"it is my sad duty to inform you of a four foot restriction on

Humanoid height."

Extract from coversation of joe ordinary in local puborama

"i hear the directors of genetic control have been buying all the

Properties that have recently been sold, taking risks oh so bold.

It's said now that people will be shorter in height,

They can fit twice as many in the same building site.

(they say it's alright),

Beginning with the tenants of the town of harlow,

In the interest of humanity, they've been told they must go,

Told they must go-go-go-go."

Sir john de pebble of united blacksprings international

"i think i've fixed a new deal

A dozen properties - we'll buy at five and sell at thirty four,

Some are still inhabited,

It's time to send the winkler to see them,

He'll have to work some more."

Memo from satin peter of rock development ltd.

With land in your hand, you'll be happy on earth

Then invest in the church for your heaven.

Lyrics are copyright so please go and buy a copy of 'Foxtrot' (I still have it on vinyl :lol: )

If the estate gets the go ahead from Brighton and Hove council, the homes are expected to fetch between £250,000 and £350,000 each. Some might also be available for rent through a housing association.

If this a fricking joke!!!!!

1/4 million pounds for a pile of rubbish....are you sure this isn't April fools day

Well, bricks are just dried mud. What's the difference?

Earthships are weapon!

I might have a go when I start building on my next unlawful, no planning permission project!

I'll post the photos for you to look at while you wait for market forces to sort out your housing issues.

its a good name, but why the ships bit ?

i never take ANY NOTICE about the 'environment'.

i mean. my local council have stopped a weekly bin collection in place of bi-weekly main rubbish and 1 week 'recycling' day. ohh happy clappy. you have to use hot water to remove labels from glass (using more energy than can be saved), you put them in another huge PLASTIC bin. then a big ass smokey truck with 5+ non jobbers on easy week come and collect the minute amounts of glass, leaving the overun main bins. then takes them to some god forsaken storage plant before moving them about the uk in even bigger lorries. while an easy jet flies over on the way to glasgow for £180 pounds cheaper than an electric train.

plus. what do they do with the glass ? make more glass and so the cycle continues. why not use degradable cartons for liquids. same for plastic milk bottles. im awash with them. you cant collapse them, they wont crush easy and they are volumous in the wheelie bin. and why have milk tops, if theres just yet another top you have to peel off underneath ? why not just have one decent top ? and tin cans. wtf is a 8p tin doing carrying a 3p amount of food. thats like taking a taxi to a bus stop. beans could come in bags like those seen for the varieties of smash. or pasta sauces. we dont need all this packing. what we need is crushable, degradable waste. then it wont really matter if we stick it in a landfill.

if they make it ill use it. dont blame me.

its like tobacco. ohh give up smoking. give up smoking you b@stard. yet they got me addicted to the fockers in the first place by selling them in...wait for it.....sweet shops. >? what did they expect. glossy, shiny sports sponsored coolness. right next to the jelly babies for 15/16 year olds. now they use the tax profit they get from my addiction to fund adverts telling me to stop. and i cant smoke in pubs ? so alcohol is good yet smoking is bad ? i cant get pissed, go on a binge drink. kick a copper and puke all over the street 24 hours a day - but light a cigarette and whoa' the cops get called and charge me with murdering roy castle...

recycle this. (holds up middle finger)

Edited by right_freds_dead

Wouldn't it just be simpler and cheaper for us al to takwe up residence

around the local landfill.

There's plenty to eat, and the fermenting kitchen scraps and cat poo are

an excellent source of free heat.

No need for new roads, and plenty of building materials close to hand,

plots starting at around £65k...(bring your own hut)?

ABB

Wouldn't it just be simpler and cheaper for us all to take up residence

around the local landfill.

ABB

Most new housing estates are built on landfill :lol:

Ecohomes are fantastic. Why are the neo-liberal luddites on here so anti innovative homes that slash energy costs and can be built easily with local materials? They seem to have an almost Stalinist fetish for production, production, production, however substandard.

What's more, so is so-called 'cramming'. The problem is the crammers are still trying to cater to the 'house with garden' British norm and you end up with postage-stamp gardens and laughable doll's houses with no amenities for miles around making car use virtually compulsory even for a pint of milk. There's a democratic deficit, builders can build whatever crap they like, where they like, how they like.

I'd love to buy a sumptious flat in a medium-rise block that internally resembles a decent-sized bungalow close to key amenities and cheap, easy public transport.

Why should I be forced to choose between mammoth commutes and compulsory car use or shoebox-sized flat close to the action designed for btl speculation rather than as a decent home?