House Price Crash Forum
gruffydd

Oil Prices - Up Up And Away

Oil keeps rising on supply fears

Militants have threatened a crippling blow to Nigeria's oil output

Oil prices have continued to rise on Friday, pushed higher by fears that production facilities may be attacked in Nigeria and Saudi Arabia.

Nigerian production has been disrupted by militants, while Saudi Arabia said it halted a plan to bomb a local plant.

There also are concerns that a European and US row with Iran over its nuclear programme may crimp oil exports.

US light crude was 27 cents higher in Asian trading at $63.63 a barrel, after jumping $1.39 on Thursday.

Oddly enough Im still paying [only....] 86.9p at the pumps for regular unleaded?

It was more like 93.9p when oil prices hit their previous highs of something like $70/barrel last year, but despite crude prices not being far off those highs now, the price at the pumps hasnt shot up so much this time?? :blink:

Oddly enough Im still paying [only....] 86.9p at the pumps for regular unleaded?

It was more like 93.9p when oil prices hit their previous highs of something like $70/barrel last year, but despite crude prices not being far off those highs now, the price at the pumps hasnt shot up so much this time?? :blink:

As well as production, Katrina took out refineries so there was a shortage of refined product. We were shipping petrol to the yanks, or at least were competing in a global market for a shortage of petrol. Hence sky-high prices here for a while.

This is exactly what will tip the market, just wait and see. An attack on oil infrastructure in Gulf or Nigeria.

Coupled in with the increase in energy bills, or failing that: septembers hurricane season should see crude

top 100 US per barrel, creating massive demand destruction, unemployment or even the very real posability

of war with Iran perpertrated by Israel or USA.

One of these factors will tip the whole thing, Blond bimbos who work for the times property section should google Peak oil and spend a few days learning instead of leading people down a path of deceit and dishonesty!

There will be a HPC because all the fundamentals are there, it's just on the horizon, i'll bet anyone a hundred!

so how do i get my grubby mitts on all this cash?

seriously, is there a way to invest in oil, without investing in an oil company?

"There will be a HPC because all the fundamentals are there, it's just on the horizon, i'll bet anyone a hundred!"

I am quite tempted by that bet - if I win I get £100, if I lose, which is more likely, then there will be a house price crash and so I won't care.

Edited by scruffian

seriously, is there a way to invest in oil, without investing in an oil company?

What have you got against lovely oil companies?

Amusingly, I'm a geophysicist in the oil industry and I don't hold any oil shares. I reckon my job and pension give me enough exposure to oil price fluctuations!

Remember GW Bush getting the media to say “Ho please mr terrorist what ever you do don’t blow up the pipe lines”

I suspected something then and now with Bush and his friends making a fortune out of their oil dealing I think someone needs to question his intentions as there seems to be a conflict of interests at play here and suspicions are raised as he keeps popping over to see his long time friends the Saudi Royals and members of the bin-ladens family.

Yes I know it sounds far fetched but I assure you it’s not if you care to investigate

What's the risk? If peak oil is right then surely the price can only go up?

When is peak oil – you may have to wait 10 years – also why buy oil while it’s high – I thought it was trading at $40 - $50 not long ago (guess) – might be worth getting when it’s back to normal – but at the moment I think they could be over producing and it can only go higher if there is a problem i.e. bomb attack or war