House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
themoralkiosk

Soft Commodities Fund?

Hello HPCers,

Ive been addicted to this site for almost a year but only just decided to come out of the closet - ill probably start ranting on the house price section in a bit...

However, ive signed up because ive been scouring the net for a soft commodities fund that i can stick the rest of my ISA allowance in for this year but can't find any so ive come to ask if anyone knows of any at all?

Thanks

themoralkiosk

Don't know anything about them, but read in Moneyweek that the following were about to start up commodities funds with some soft:

BDO Stoy Hayward Investment

Bespoke Financial Consulting.

There's also REI, though I'm not sure how much soft it has.

These are three funds that I haveb't looked into in any great depth but am planning to at some point. There's an REI thread at ADVFN

Hi,

Yes I do believe I read about soft commodity ETF's but can't remember what I saw.... Trouble with getting older. I too am researching this area so will let you know what I find or recall :)

Anyone heard anymore about the Silver ETF?

Regards to all

Frank

Useful article below, but pure soft commodity funds seem to be rare. There is always the danger that in any bull market many fund managers simply jump on the bandwagon with few having any track record of knowing what they are doing. Just look back at the tech boom 1998-2000 to see how many new funds were set up then to take advantage of a market going parabolic. Most are still 70-90% down in value today from their bubble top price. Also, many a general smaller/growth companies fund got caught out after re-positioning themselves into tech and not getting out because of the heady gains they could show to attract more customers. I get a little weary of any market once a number of new funds to take advantage of it are started up on the back of the bull run.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/...2003219,00.html

I know this isn't really a fund but many of the spread betting companies allow you to invest in softs essentailly by taking a bet and hedging their position on the futures market. Timmy_30 has a spreadsheet for converting the spread betting values into real principal exposures which you should do. as with all spread betting the gains are tax free so you can use it alongside your Isa allowance. I did hear of one diversified commodities fund but you needed a whole 7K and it was a structured product giving you 300% of the rise in a variety of commodities and protecting principle but your money was locked in for 5 years I think. If you can be disciplined about it then you can roll your own.

suggestions for a softs asset allocation stategy ?

what with bird flu and everything you might want some live cattle and lean hogs. I wouldn't want to stock up in live chickens, bird flu could lead to softening demand for them.

Edited by jonpo